Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:56 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
The other day I was at the theater watching Saw 5, and there was a woman who was sitting a few seats away from who brought her 2 kids along and the oldest kid looked like she was was 7 or 8 at best while the youngest looked like he was no more than 4 or 5. In my opinion I think it is very inappropriate for a parent to already be exposing kids that young to moves with lots of blood and gore. The appropriate thing to do would have been to take her kids to see High School Musical 3 Senior Year which is more suitable for the age demographic of her kids. When I was that young my parents never took me to watch violent R rated movies. If a parent with very young children want to watch movies like Saw 5 than do it on their own time, don't drag their kids along with them. I see situations like that as a sign of bad parenting. I have seen this scenario happen all the time when I go watch other R rated horror movies, but I am just using Saw 5 as a more recent example.
Wow, that's just wrong. Any decent parent would leave their kid with a sitter, or go see the Veggietales (or some other kiddie fare) movie. I saw Changeling this past weekend and there were kids there and they almost ruined the movie for me. If a film is rated R, don't take your child there if they haven't reached Middle School yet. I'm certainly not a prude, but seriously, it's rude to everyone else. And a horror film will only traumatize or desensitize a child, both are horrible results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 05:02 PM

13 posts, read 78,271 times
WOW! that is pretty young. I am a teacher and these kids come to school talking about alllll kinds of crazy R movies they have seen.... I mean... these kids are 10 and 11!!!! Parents just do not think today!! They don't PARENT! Its society. its what is easiest for parents too... I mean, everyone works- everyone is busy. and tired and just want the easiest route...... it really stink- Y- POOS!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
I wouldn't take my kids to see those kinds of movies. My parents used to take me and my brothers to the drive in theater to see movies. We saw a lot of really scary things like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, Phantasm, stuff like that. I can remember the sounds of these movies scaring the hell out of us and us kids trying our best to cover our ears so we didn't have to hear all the gross-out, scary sounds. We literally had our eyes shut and our ears covered most of the time and we hated those kinds of movies. But, if there was a movie with nudity, well, you had mom up in the front seat shoving a pillow in our faces so we wouldn't see that stuff! I never understood why they didn't just leave us with a sitter. To this day I won't watch scary, blood and gore type films.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:01 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,122 times
My father told me that back in 1960 when he was 12 years old, his dad took him to see the movie Psycho, and when my grandmother found out about it, she grounded my father and made my grandfather sleep on the couch that night.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:45 AM

362 posts, read 774,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Was probably a single mom and the kids had two different fathers. May have been her only night available to go out to see a movie.

I think its inappropriate for kids that young to see an "R" rated movie, but if its okay with their parent then we have no right to complain about it.
you're probably right, but my question is: why even watch a movie at all when you need the money(if she's a single mom) for your kids welfare regardless.
I remember I could see R rated movies when I started to work at a local library only becuase I was the one who checked them out and being that I was a staff member, most of my co-workers knew me so I was given a pass.

As for me letting my kids(when I have any) go to a movie so asinine as Saw(any of them sadistic films are just plain stupid) I can't say I'd do that at all.

You'd have to have a small brain to even think about going to see such a movie such as Saw, Hostel(borderline snuff film), hell even vacancy was silly. Why even watch such a ridiculous movie?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:48 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
That's too young for an R rated movie. My Dad took me to see the Shining in the theatre when I was 12 and I did see Up in Smoke when I was 15.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:57 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Children from ages 3-12 shouldn't be in a violent or scary movie. Children younger than three are likely not even paying attention to what's happening on screen let alone are even aware that it's something scary. Instead they're getting in and out of their seat, running up the aisles, or talking and yelling.

It's a different case if it's a movie that has a lot of sex in it (in which no one under the age of sixteen should be viewing). Not sure how, but even small toddlers get the idea that that's something they're not supposed to be looking at...so they stop what they're doing and focus on the screen.

Just my take on it. Judging from personal experience.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times
I have a perfectly normal niece (now 18) who grew up on Jason and Freddy and George Romero. She'll soon be out of high school and wants to go to Tom Savini's school of horror makeup. Didn't hurt her a bit and maybe even provided some direction in her life. Not all kids will get the same result of course but it really depends on the child.

My own two sons, now 16, have a chapter and verse knowledge of Monty Python, Benny Hill and other British humor. Other than being a bit extra witty, no problems with them. Tried doing the age appropriate thing when they were younger by taking them to see the Garfield movie. I still haven't heard the end of it all these years later. "dad.....Garfield?!..."

Old 02-25-2009, 10:40 AM

134 posts, read 184,223 times
its awful, No babysitter no movie. plain as that

Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
I think it's incredibly poor parenting. The poor children...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies