Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 06:42 AM

609 posts, read 1,176,397 times

Advertisements

this fairly unknown movie (compared to Solace) starring Liam Neeson rocked my world. it had a better pace, better story, better acting, better and more believable action (although the karate chop to the neck was used alot and even knocked one guy out....)

i suggest you go out and rent it, or take a visit to piratebay and ummm.. borrow it..

honeslty i promise you it will be well worth your dollar... or broadband time..

not to mention its full of really epic scenes.. i dont wanna give them away bt its involves "good luck" and a light switch... those that saw it know what i mean/.....

so eyah bascically tis 1 and a half hours of liam neeson, with a very good story line, kicking ass like he should be!!!

Last edited by leangk; 11-17-2008 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:04 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,645,563 times
Why won't Liam Neeson go back to the Darkman franchise? Does he think he's too good for it?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Why won't Liam Neeson go back to the Darkman franchise? Does he think he's too good for it?
k look i may come under fire but this is my opinion. we all ahve those crappy movies, crappy for ridiculousness of action, of cheezy lines, of poor graphics, or of just a poor overall story that we love!! mines probably street fighter.. noo mortal combat.. except thsoe two didnt fit that description i gave above at all!!

the darkman movie.. how do i put it.. sucked... the acting, comapred with some of neesons modern films is uncomparable... not to mention the score sounded exactly like the old batman..

Old 11-24-2008, 04:40 AM

also the darkman has no appeal. hes a vigilante, not even. hes seeking out his onw personal revenge with no other ideals of goals (compared to say superman or batman).

And despite having "super strength", the last scene with the fight seemed to disprove that as he couldnt even keep his balance.

it was ok, i guess, for a one time thing. There is no reason for a sequel, because its over. he came and did what he planned to do...

Old 03-30-2015, 01:24 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,888,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk
this fairly unknown movie (compared to Solace) starring Liam Neeson rocked my world. be!!!
Maybe it did buddy but it IS NOT AS GOOD AS 'RANSOM' by a long shot!!!!!!! (Much better although 'Ransom' is R not PG-13))

Old 03-30-2015, 03:50 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,067,895 times
It took me a few minutes to figure out what you were talking about. I was in imdb, looking up this flick, "Taken Killed James Bond", thinking that Taken was someone, perhaps an oriental superhero, when I realized..............

As Scaramanga might say, "If you say so, Mr. Bond.......,", as I have never seen a "Taken" flick.

A, B, and C.

First of all, I have no wish to see a "Taken" flick because they sound too much like the reality that I am often researching. When you are looking at something, know that it is real and terrible, it is often very hard to see it as entertainment.

That was the thing about movie Bond. It could be exciting, fantastic, scarey to a degree, but in the end, you knew it was fantasy, it couldn't happen, or if it did happen, it probably wouldn't affect you directly. Probably the most realistic was "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" but even then, as Blofeld said, "I don't think they (the world leaders) would let it come to that, Mr. Bond, do you?". The villain might win but decent chance you and I, the commoner, wouldn't know about it.

B: Bond is that balance that allows us the fantasy experience without being involved in the ultimate dreadful experience or the painfully boring one. A lot of movies these days go into the ultra violence, shoot them up, grind them up, let's hear the screams (I suppose but as said, I'm not really watching them these days). But what about the other side of the realism scale, the painfully boring one. Ie, Harry Palmer. He was a Brit secret agent, too, but his world showed us living in a plain apartment, have to argue with the boss to get enough money to buy a car, and no fancy gadgets.........the Harry Palmer franchise was no where extensive as the Bond one because among anything else, where's the fantasy?

C: Finally, the way all these new flicks do the ultra violence (assumed), they don't do it right. In the 60's and 70's, it seems there were two ways to compete against the Bond franchise. Parody it such as Derek Flint and ultra violence it. "Innocent Bystanders" was one of those latter flicks and it certainly hit the mark. But it had the right balance in a just cause, an experienced agent, distrustful bosses, and the right twists.

Quite frankly, for the action movie of today, I might be watching an X rated movie for it seems they operate on the same formula. Lots and lots of the primary component and not much need for a story.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,858,621 times
Having a strong female M killed James Bond in my opinion.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:03 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,434,350 times
James Bond is Superman in a different costume.
The franchise has been going for so long that Bond is immortal. We all know when we walk in that he is going to be shot at, will get beaten up, and put into ridiculously lethal peril, but will emerge triumphant in the end.

Now that Taken has become a franchise, just like Die Hard and dozens of others that have lasted for 3-4 films, what was valid when this thread was created is no longer so. In the first Taken movie, we didn't know if Liam was going to die. All we were pretty sure of is that his daughter would survive.

A man's child is the top of the heap for a rescue action flick. What's going to happen in Taken #4? Will Liam be so fierce in rescuing his second cousin's youngest daughter who's blind, deaf and autistic?

The James Bond books had already created a very survivable character. Since they were all best sellers, everyone expected the film James Bond to survive, and the books were so popular that Bond could have only perished after the last book had been acted out on film. After 5 Bonds now, we all presume the current Bond will be around 40 and very fed up with the world and his job.
That can work forever. As long as Bond always lives on for the next movie.

Few franchises that are similar have that much material waiting ahead. A hero either has to quit or die sometime in all the others, if fading popularity doesn't quietly kill the franchise off first.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,782,251 times
James Bond is so not dead. I am a huge Bond fan, so do not agree with this at all.

However I do love Taken! Two different movies.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:19 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,699,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
That movie was very depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies