Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 09:25 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
Interesting....
If Vagabond interests you, I would highly recommend the set: 4 by Agnès Varda

La Pointe Courte (1956), Agnès Varda 80
Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962), Agnès Varda 89
Le bonheur (1965), Agnès Varda 80
Vagabond (1985), Agnès Varda 105

I put the film length last. They are all winners. She (Agnes Varda) was featured in the documentary Great Directors.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:41 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Just watched The Tale of The Princess Kaguya for the second. Good lord, I can't believe this didn't win an Oscar tonight. Pretty well makes me question the academy's judgement in general.
Ghibli Studio films all deserved to win an Oscar, tbqh.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:02 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Under the Skin (2013 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2015, 02:44 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
Gone Girl: 5/10 for me. Just did not like the movie at all. The twist was extremely weak.

Ninja Turtle: 3/10 for me. Despite the action scene and all the character spouting out funny one liners. It wasn't funny or exciting at all. It's completely empty. And what the hell happen to Megan Fox's face?

A Walk Among the Tombstones: 6.5/10 for me. Decent, slow drawn out movie. Was not at all surprised how it ended. It was exactly like how I predict it would end.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:49 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,026,852 times
"Random Harvest"

I guess I can understand on one level that the studio wanted to use a bankable box office star, but really, when the hero, who in the book is in his twenties, is played by 51 year old Ronald Colman (ridiculously handsome as he was, even at that age), something just goes weird when he is being wooed by a girl in her teens. But a good soap opera nonetheless.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:42 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
"Random Harvest"

I guess I can understand on one level that the studio wanted to use a bankable box office star, but really, when the hero, who in the book is in his twenties, is played by 51 year old Ronald Colman (ridiculously handsome as he was, even at that age), something just goes weird when he is being wooed by a girl in her teens. But a good soap opera nonetheless.
Having not read the book,

Spoiler
the scene where she walks in as his secretary blew me away.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:14 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhaal...good movie..didn't like how it ended but his acting was superb....4 out of 5

Old 02-24-2015, 07:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
"Random Harvest"

I saw "Random Harvest" on televison back in the late 50s I guess--
thought it was just so romantic that she kept her silence--
and I don't think Greer Garson was a teenager so guess you are talking about the girl he proposed to marry toward the end of the movie...
will see if that is available for streaming--
that concept is one that just wouldn't work now, I guess....Jim Carrey tried it in (sort of) that movie w/Martin Balsam but the romance wasn't the big hook...

Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
"Random Harvest"

One of my favorite movies! But I agree, Colman is clearly too old to (realistically) play the part. I think he does a good job, but it can be a little distracting. I've also read the book a couple of times, and I actually like the movie a little better. I think that's the only time I've ever said that! However, I also recommend the book if you like the movie.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
One of my favorite movies! But I agree, Colman is clearly too old to (realistically) play the part. I think he does a good job, but it can be a little distracting. I've also read the book a couple of times, and I actually like the movie a little better. I think that's the only time I've ever said that! However, I also recommend the book if you like the movie.
I agree that it was a good transformation from book to movie--and you should remember that the movie was set after WWI--there were many older men who went to war from Britian and this character (Charles Ranier?) could have had a place in a family regiment...and I think (long time since I read the book or saw the movie) that the fact that he was not a "young" man --say 24--26--was one reason the girl/woman felt more comfortable in approaching him...
Colman also starred in "Lost Horizon" another hit by Hilton...

I just loved Greer Garson's movies...great voice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies