Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't cry in movies but there was a few that I wanted to. There was a TV movie called "Flight 93" which I found more emotional than the more popular United 93 movie, I did want to cry in that one.

Also "Cars". Despite being a Pixar/Disney film it is very deep and sends some good messages. IT was sad to see that Radiator Springs was bypassed just to save 10 minutes of driving like they said in the movie. Actually I think they are speaking on a deeper level about how our society is all about speed, making money, etc and how much we have lost as a country since the good ol' days. It makes me nostalgic for a time before I was born, like some country music songs make me feel that way too. Cars really does make us question who we are as a nation these days and our mentality. I do wish that time could stop, the more our world "changes" the worse it gets.
Oh Lord yes! Even if you watch a few parts of Toy Story 2, and from what I've been reading on the 'net Toy Story 3 is going to be and is very emotional.

One movie and it's novelization I can't help but get choked up at is "Where the Red Fern Grows", when the dogs die and the fern takes up their graves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:41 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,781 times
There have been too many to list....depending on my hormones...I could cry over a commercial for razors. lol.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:32 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
There have been too many to list....depending on my hormones...I could cry over a commercial for razors. lol.
Yeah I cry over PETA commercials. My husband reaches for the remote anytime those sad eyed dogs come on the screen.

Pretty much any movie that illuminates human suffering (and they're plenty) will get me going.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:34 PM

214 posts, read 961,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Yeah I cry over PETA commercials. My husband reaches for the remote anytime those sad eyed dogs come on the screen.

LOL me too! Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:01 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
The characters in " Goodfellas" were all genuine SOBS even if I loved the movie and the acting. Oh, did you mean brought me to sobs or brought sobs to me?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:16 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
I "tear up" in movies but I have only really all-out cried once and it was audible sobbing and bawling. So embarrassing! I thought I was going to have to leave but managed to control it well enough to remain in the theater. It was during The Joy Luck Club.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:29 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
I don't remember much of the Red Fern movie but I do remember reading the novel a long time ago in school and it was very good. I wouldn't say Toy Story is as deep as Cars though. That just stands out as a particularly good movie. I guess the saddest thing besides Radiator Springs being abandoned just to save 10 minutes driving for one thing is when Lightning and Porche were up in the mountains in the majestic scenery and they watch all the cars go by on the freeway below, and what they're missing out on in pursuit of speed and "progress". Also it was sad how in their innocence the residents of the town didn't even know the implications of the changes taking place, where they had a sign that said "Welcome I-40 Travellers" when that freeway would bring about the downfall of their town and their way of life. Overall Cars was a great movie that mixes good technology with a good message too. In the beginning we are supposed to be impressed by the graphics, by the excitement of the race track and the celebrity lifestyle, but in the end we the audience like Lightning McQueen longs for the small town charm and laid back, more meaningful lifestyle on Route 66.

Another movie is Friday Night Lights is the pep talk in the locker room at halftime, when the coach talks to his players about what it means being perfect. That was just a good film, about the dreams of a small town represented by their high school football team in the state championships.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
This is the good scene from Cars I was talking about, and the was presented in a very emotional way. Also notable is the quote about how in the past it was not about making good time, but about having a good time. Knwoing to enjoy the little things in life.

YouTube - Route 66 - Our Town Cars Soundtrack , James Taylor

Also more in the movie about how the world changed. It was tragic how Doc was famous but after one crash nobody cared anymore. So it was very touching when Lightning gives up his victory in the end to make sure that the other old car finishes his last race with dignity. IN today's America, small town and heartland values are increasnigly under assault and this film is a rare nostalgic look by Hollywood into the past when things were simpler, and better.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:50 PM

270 posts, read 488,237 times
Someone mentioned Marley & Me...yeh I bawled, in the movie theater, on Christmas Day. Great movie but I will NEVER see it again!!! Way too hard.

9/11 movies are hard to watch.

The Notebook makes me cry every time. In fact, when I NEED to cry, that's my go-to movie

Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 AM

319 posts, read 634,527 times
Oh boy, I watched "Up" on Saturday and damn, that was a two kleenex box movie. It probably didn't help that I was holding my sleeping five month old son while I watched, but the whole thing just really resonated with me someplace. Just a touching, touching movie. It's one of few films where I've watched it and totally forgotten that it was animated. It just sucked me in. Pixar continues to prove that in animation, story can, and should, come first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies