Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
What YOU are looking for doesn't matter when the entire music world credits Nirvana with starting the Gunge sound...or shall we say making it mainstream.

They got the credit for doing that....period.
At the time it was coming out, we were also hearing bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Stone Temple Pilots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 05:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
More credit:

Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, founders of A&M Records.
Berry Gordy, Jr., Motown
Roy Acuff, one of the founders of Acuff-Rose Publishing. Think the other was Billy Rose, but don't quote me on it.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:58 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
At the time it was coming out, we were also hearing bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Stone Temple Pilots.
Pearl Jams Ten did come out first, it just peaked later.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:03 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post

I agree, in most cases the innovator was not popular, that is why I am asking about innovators. Innovators are usually part of a staircase, each stair ads to the previous stair but there has to be a first step.
Again, the thread title was "who changed music and what did they do"

Nirvana gets the credit for changing it, not the band that "might" (?) have influenced the one that takes the credit.

For all you know, had Nirvana NOT done what they did, it would have been a dead end and the world would never have heard about it.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Again, the thread title was "who changed music and what did they do"

Nirvana gets the credit for changing it, not the band that "might" (?) have influenced the one that takes the credit.

For all you know, had Nirvana NOT done what they did, it would have been a dead end and the world would never have heard about it.
There was more to my post than the title, read the post. People into POP may have never heard punk or grunge style but millions of people around the world knew about it for over a decade.

I really don’t see what they changed, they made popular a sub-genre of rock that was an off shoot of another sub-genre, what did they do that had never been done?

I am looking for Buddy Boldens, not Paul Whitemans.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:28 PM

Well, then you must be the ONLY person on Earth that denies that Nirvana changed music....and the critics all agree and state that too.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:40 PM

Rolling Stone Magazine:

Few bands in rock history have had a more immediate and tangible impact on the contemporary pop musical landscape than Nirvana did in the early Nineties. When the Seattle trio hit the scene in 1991, mainstream radio was awash in the hair metal of Poison and Def Leppard. But seemingly within hours of the release of Nirvana's anarchic, angry single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" — and its twisted anti-pep-rally video—the rules had changed. Artifice was devalued; pure, raw emotion was king.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Well, then you must be the ONLY person on Earth that denies that Nirvana changed music....and the critics all agree and state that too.
Quote:
Rolling Stone Magazine:

Few bands in rock history have had a more immediate and tangible impact on the contemporary pop musical landscape than Nirvana did in the early Nineties. When the Seattle trio hit the scene in 1991, mainstream radio was awash in the hair metal of Poison and Def Leppard. But seemingly within hours of the release of Nirvana's anarchic, angry single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" — and its twisted anti-pep-rally video—the rules had changed. Artifice was devalued; pure, raw emotion was king.
I don't note a change by when it becomes popular, I wasn't listening to Def Leppard or Poison in 92, so hearing Nirvana was not a new revelation of music I had never heard, sorry. It was new hearing it on the radio, just not new. Again, they helped to make that sound popular; they changed nothing other than what was popular.

“Nirvana's anarchic, angry single” Anarchy and angry, that same description could have been said about the Sex Pistols in 1976. “the rules had changed. Artifice was devalued; pure, raw emotion was king” Sounds like every hardcore band I listened to from 80-86.

Show me somthing that they did that had benver been done before.

"I was trying to write the ultimate pop song, I was basically trying to
rip off the Pixies." Kurt Cobain on 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', Rolling
Stone magazine, January 1994.

Ya, what an innovator!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 PM

So you quote what he said about ONE song AFTER they became famous???

Well, there's no telling you anything because you obviously think you know more than the people who get paid to write about such things.

You are a legend in your own mind. Congratulations.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
So you quote what he said about ONE song AFTER they became famous???

Well, there's no telling you anything because you obviously think you know more than the people who get paid to write about such things.

You are a legend in your own mind. Congratulations.
Wow, you really love that band, sorry, it is like I insulted your mom. Tell me ONE thing they did that had never been done before? That has been my question all along, ONE THING?????????

I know very little, hence my post but I do know Nirvana did not innovate anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music