Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that many people are much more into words than the music. I actually listen to the music much more over lyrics but I do enjoy melodic and well done lyrics.

Those of you who are into lyrics the most, do you listen to a cappella singing or poetry often also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,599 times
A guitar player doesn't need any lyrics! When Stevie remade Jimi's classic, he even omitted them. IMO, it was a one up on Jimi. Only Stevie could EVER pull something like that off! If you listen to those bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, increases in intensity and emotion, ALL the words come out. This is a very emotional little piece of music from a MASTER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdYRz...eature=related

Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I have noticed that many people are much more into words than the music. I actually listen to the music much more over lyrics but I do enjoy melodic and well done lyrics.

Those of you who are into lyrics the most, do you listen to a cappella singing or poetry often also?
It tends to be both for me. When I was younger I loved music more for the sound and sometimes now I will catch an old favorite and go, wow- that's what it was all about?

So I don't think it's a black and white question. Sometimes I will like a song more for the music, other times I will like a song more because of the lyrics.

But wow, when I like both I get carried away.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Music. I try to avoid the words lest I disagree with the premise.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 AM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,081,338 times
I tend to lean both ways,I love to hear a good song with lyrics that have meaning but then again there could be a song I love but hate the lyrics.I have always enjoyed Kris Kristoffersons stuff,I think he writes good songs.Listen to the lyrics in this song,good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4rm7Nk5InY

Old 01-13-2011, 04:07 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
How well the peson can sing and the actual music are the most important things to me, good lyrics come in second.

If the song doesn't have a good live orchestration with real instruments (which eliminates 75% of the music today) or the artist can't sing to save his/her life, I pass on it. Lyics are important too, because on the other hand I don't want to hear a song where the people are just screaming obscure things in the microphone with no meaning, but if the actual music is good then I'll ignore the lacking lyrical substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music