Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times

Advertisements

I still haven't learned how to download music say via Itunes and somehow transfer it to my work computer. Even if I did I still might not switch since I pay on average about $8 a CD which is about the same a MP3 but includes its own back and has artwork. For me it is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
When was the last time I bought a cd? Two and a half hours ago.

Needless to say, there are problems with the industry. But I could see this coming a long time ago. It's called going too far.

The big box retailers have gone too far. Thousands of Best Buys sprouted up all across the States starting around 1988. Circuit City's came next. Their competition? Best Buy! What happened? Circuit City went ka thud.

The same thing is going on with the upscale book stores. Barnes and Noble still stocks the bejeebers out of cd's. Borders is their competitor. I've heard from several people in the biz that Borders is having problems paying their creditors. It wasn't but a few years ago they would have massive 25%, then 50%, then 75% off sales on back stock (aka slow moving titles). No more.

Then there are the shopping mall stores. Musicland, Sam Goody, On Cue, Suncoast are music chains in the malls, were converted to FYE's a few years ago. FYE stands for For Your Entertainment. There were quite a few of those stores across the West close their doors just a few days ago. Sad.

In the last few years other CD chain stores such as Virgin Records, Media Play, Wherehouse Records, CD Warehouse, and a few others have cut back on stores by half or more, a couple of these chains going completely under, including the big one-Tower Records. Even Bed Bath and Beyond got in to the act of selling cd's, for a while anyway. Then of course you have all the Walmarts out there, moving across the land like General George Patton and his troops in moving across Europe in WW-II.

In the 1970's up to the early 80's, when I think of buying tunes from chains I thought of Record Bar, Peaches (converted to Sound Warehouse), Woolco, K-Mart, even Montgomery Wards! And pity the poor mom and pop record/cd stores. I take my hat off to the ones that are still around after all these years!

They went too far. And it's sad.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-26-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
I still buy the occasional CD, but I love downloading music. A couple years ago I bought the CD Attack of the Grey Lantern by the English group Mansun. The song, Wide Open Spaces, was in heavy rotation on rock radio in NYC. I loved the song, but the rest of the album truly sucked beyond belief, and it ticked me off I'd paid $16 for one good song.

The heck with groups and record companies putting out garbage. I love the freedom of downloading individual songs.

Good song, great guitar break, ridiculous video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af_jSfsKLSI

Old 01-27-2011, 03:36 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default as a person

who is into the concept of an entire album/CD when it comes to a particular artist, downloading tunes is kind of pointless for me

i have always been an album and cassette person. my first CD I bought in 1998 and was Dr. Buzzard's Savannah Band, not anything current. But I have been buying up used CD's off amazon as well as at J&R Music World in NY. My most recent CD purchases were Maria Muldaur's debut from 1973 and Quincy Jones' "Body Heat" in 1974. I even picked up Leon Huff's "Here To Create Music" remastered from 1980. It's refreshing to see these artists' studio albums selling for such modest prices

Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
I still buy cds- the last one i bought was in november last year- Sasha and digweeds Northen exposure off amazon. I paid £140 for it as ive wanted it for years. I've a chord chordette dac which I stream mp3s off my mac with (into musical fidelity x-a2, x-ray cd player and b&w cm1s for the audiophiles here) but the sound quality of cd is so much better. Mp3s sound lifeless with no presence.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
who is into the concept of an entire album/CD when it comes to a particular artist, downloading tunes is kind of pointless for me

i have always been an album and cassette person. my first CD I bought in 1998 and was Dr. Buzzard's Savannah Band, not anything current. But I have been buying up used CD's off amazon as well as at J&R Music World in NY. My most recent CD purchases were Maria Muldaur's debut from 1973 and Quincy Jones' "Body Heat" in 1974. I even picked up Leon Huff's "Here To Create Music" remastered from 1980. It's refreshing to see these artists' studio albums selling for such modest prices
I like downloading single tunes... it allows me to explore new artists a bit easier. If I spend say $3 for a few songs, If I like what I've heard I normally go back and buy the rest of the album.

I do appreciate that some albums need to be listened in it's entirety - there are some songs on itunes where you can not purchase them individually, but must purchase the entire album.

I think everyone was an album & cassette person, there really wasn't much choice!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
I bought five vinyl records today....

Old 01-28-2011, 01:43 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
good riddance.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Um..I'm screwed?

I've bought CD's in the past year, I don't know about the last six months. Last ones I bought were Snow Patrol, Eyes Open, Kenny Rogers compilation, and Charlie Daniels compilation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music