Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 01:25 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times

Advertisements

hi folks, so lately i have had this song stuck in my head that i recorded onto a tape from a college radio station in the eighties. the station was Album 88 which is a station in atlanta affiliated i think with GA Tech (could be wrong). back in those days i was a poor young punk up in the mountains and this was my only source of out-there music. this song i must have taped in 1986, '87, thereabouts. so that cuts out alot of possible bands.

of course, the recording hasn't survived. but i am damned and determined to figure out who this song was by.

its obscure, but it can't be THAT obscure, being played on a college radio station. i mean, it had to have been RELEASED on a LABEL, they get those promo records and stuff.

anyway, the song.

its a dirge, with mostly just an organ with two chords. kind of think of the jaws theme, slowed down.

the voice is unmistakably english. and he has a very deep voice. but not deep like nick cave or ian curtis. even deeper. michael gira from the swans, deeper than that.

its a very, very eerie song. some of the lyrics that i remember are

"leads a desperate festival of the funeral mourners"

and then at the end, he says, "the camel of gods
echoed and showered
pennies from heaven
pennies from heaven
come
in the half-light"
and then it breaks off into this almost snake-like organ, still slowed down, while repeating "pennies from heaven".

it has NO industrial nor metal overtones. its not jazzy. it sounds like a super goth funeral dirge. no drums really. must have been a european, english or australian band.

i have already checked through the ouevres of the swans, i know all of joy divisions stuff and the vocal styling is nowhere near ian curtis's. it isn't sisters of mercy, and other possibles i have eliminated (some which obviously don't fit once i listened to them again after many years, and some of whom i am a fan of and can eliminate outright) were these immortal souls, minimal compact, holger czukay, xymox, christian death, the mission, foetus, nick cave, definitely not peter murphy or bauhaus.

its got to be more obscure than that. i know this isn't really the most appropriate forum but because i love CD (even tho i haven't been on much as of late what with LIFE and all) i had to throw it to my people and see if there aren't some weird musicologists for whom this rings a bell.

even if you can't tell me the song, if any one can think of any deep-voiced, gothy, alternative singers from the eighties that i missed please let me know so i can go investigate!
thanks all, sorry for the long post, wanted to give you guys as much info as possible!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 06:29 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
Just so you won't think that your request has been ignored: Last night I googled the lyrics you've posted and they led to this thread and one on another board where you must have asked a similar question. That's probably not a good sign. Personally, I have no clue as to the song's identity. You might want to try the following link and ask there. I think you'll be increasing your odds significantly. Good luck!

I Love Music: New Answers

Old 03-17-2011, 08:07 AM

19,705 posts, read 20,232,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
hi folks, so lately i have had this song stuck in my head

My condolences...lol

Good luck though. I have several songs from the past I cannot seem to identify, no matter the amount of googling I've done, and it drives me absolutely crazy!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:02 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
awwww, thanks for trying guys. yeah, i have been high and low looking for this (hence the other forums). i have SORT of given up hope because i knew going in it was super obscure and maybe just a one-off single that someone put out on a '7 inch and that was it. its out there somewhere, if i can find the vocalist i can find the song (sigh)
thanks for the help tho! an "A" for effort!!!!!

hey D217, why don't you share a few of those songs? if something stumps ME then i know its obscure because i am a rabid music fan of loads of genres. i have everything from cambodian psych music to the bbc radiophonic workshop to waylon jennings in my collection. maybe i can help!!!!!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:14 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
It IS maddening to have something stuck in your head like that and can't even get a clue as to the name of the song or the artist. Wish I could help, but I'm limited to certain genres and goth is not one of them. I'm pretty good with stuff from the 80's but if it's that obscure then I'm stumped. Good luck!!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
Maybe The Damned? I know they kind of went gothish in the 80s. Is it possible it could have been a local band from that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music