Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:42 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,416,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
Further, ideals of one generation, don't necessarily translate to the next. As a Gen-X'er, I'm at piece with the 60's Baby-boomer's movements now, but in the day, me and my brethren were very cynical toward our parent's piece and love anthems. The only bands of that era we embraced were Black Sabbath and dark bands of the like. For the most part, we thought our parents overall had a pretty good life, but protested for the sake of change anyway.
I can't help but wonder why you thought people were protesting in the sixties just for the "sake of change".

Sure, a great portion of the protesters were college students, but they were protesting on behalf of themselves and others ... the Vietnam War (1955 to 1975) with over 58,000 soldiers dead, POWs, civil rights, womens rights, environmentalism, free speech and more.

I was a child in the sixties, but we were aware of what was going on. It was impossible not to be aware. So much of what your generation takes for granted had its roots in the social change of the sixties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,276,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
With all the turmoil going on in the world, I wonder why more mainstream artists aren't making more socially-conscious and/or protest songs? In my parents' day (late 60's - early 70's), lots of rock bands were releasing anti-war songs or protest songs. Nowadays, it seems like there are few bands making that kind of music. Top 40 radio is even worse - dominated by songs about clubbing or people bragging about how awesome they are.

Somebody please prove me wrong!

It's not that there aren't artists who make that kind of music. It's more that the masses currently have an affinity for the insipid. In other words, the public determines what becomes mainstream, and right now, the majority of the public is interested in superficial, materialistic, insubstantial crap.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:58 PM

372 posts, read 1,043,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I can't help but wonder why you thought people were protesting in the sixties just for the "sake of change".

Sure, a great portion of the protesters were college students, but they were protesting on behalf of themselves and others ... the Vietnam War (1955 to 1975) with over 58,000 soldiers dead, POWs, civil rights, womens rights, environmentalism, free speech and more.

I was a child in the sixties, but we were aware of what was going on. It was impossible not to be aware. So much of what your generation takes for granted had its roots in the social change of the sixties.
I should have expanded that paragraph further: When the 60's were over, they (our parents) all went home and got decent paying jobs and lived the dream. My parents were white and married, so there was no threat to them of being discriminated against or being drafted. In my mind at the time, they risked nothing, had a good time, and went home. That was my (and friends) mindset in my early 20's and struggling (late 80's). Like I said, now in my earlly-forties, I've learned to accept the nobility part of it as well, but with a degree of cynicism - the people that worshipped at the altar of Bob Dylan now quote Rush Limbaugh. My father tells me he didn't change, librallism did. I didn't live the 60's, I don't know. Just excuse me for not taking the movement totally at face value.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
Like I said, now in my earlly-forties, I've learned to accept the nobility part of it as well, but with a degree of cynicism - the people that worshipped at the altar of Bob Dylan now quote Rush Limbaugh. My father tells me he didn't change, librallism did. I didn't live the 60's, I don't know. Just excuse me for not taking the movement totally at face value.
Some of them quote Rush Limbaugh. Certainly not all of them.

Even as a child in the sixties, we knew there was at lot at stake. To be honest, people seem unbelieveably apathetic to me compared to then.

I'll tell you something that I still find funny about that time. I was in sixth grade in 1969. Adults were so concerned about the drug culture that they wanted to nip it in the bud with us early on before we had a chance to try it. Teens were dropping dead on the dance floor, don't you know?!

So here we are, 11 years old, and we had to take a class about drugs that lasted for weeks. We learned all about the different classifications of recreational drugs, the scientific names, the slang names, the effects of each drug, the different ways to administer each drug, and the side effects. I remember when we learned about Heroin and how the veins would eventually collapse and the addict would have to find new veins. We were told every gross place addicts would shoot up in desperation to find a vein. The boys in the class liked to tease the girls by chanting stuff like "Shoot it under the tongue!"

On the last day of our class, the teacher burned pot in the classroom so we would know how it smelled.

I now think the whole thing was sort of hilarious, but it was a different time and hard drugs were the thing. My generation went on to be mostly just pot smokers. Well maybe a bunch of them did Cocaine in the eighties, but overall, we didn't repeat the sixties. We were way more mellow.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,976 times
Check out Dunconscious, a reggae band from Athens, GA

Old 08-11-2011, 12:11 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,146,262 times
Tons of artist make protest songs. they will continue to do so. War on War by Wilco comes to mind but there are so many others. I will continue to speak out against this sanctimonious baby boomer propaganda. Furthermore as I have stated in other forums and on other sites, most hippies were about getting stoned first and foremost. They did not care about Civil Rights! The whole hippie movement was started by a guy named Vito Paluskas in LA, who was as much of a dirtbag scum as Manson was.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,146,262 times
REM have made a number of protest songs. Many are abstract and obtuse, warranting resear ch and investigation to determine what the poetic genius J. Michael Stipe is talking about, but the Around The Sun album has a song that is clearly anti-US involvement in Iraq called the Final Straw.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Tons of artist make protest songs. they will continue to do so. War on War by Wilco comes to mind but there are so many others. I will continue to speak out against this sanctimonious baby boomer propaganda. Furthermore as I have stated in other forums and on other sites, most hippies were about getting stoned first and foremost. They did not care about Civil Rights! The whole hippie movement was started by a guy named Vito Paluskas in LA, who was as much of a dirtbag scum as Manson was.
That's your opinion. Others, including myself, will disagree with that sweeping statement. The organic food movement and the environmental movement came out the hippie movement.

You do know there were different types of hippies don't you?

And you do know that there were tons of people who were not hippies who were marching for civil rights? The hippies were a small part of the population. Most protestors were not hippies.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Here's a protest song from 2005.

"My Sweet Neo Con" by The Rolling Stones from the album "A Bigger Bang".

The Rolling Stones Lyrics - Sweet NeoCon-HQ - YouTube

When they were working on the lyrics, Keith Richards said "It's not very metaphorical is it?"

Lyrics:

You call yourself a Christian
I think that you're a hypocrite
You say you are a patriot
I think that you're a crock of sh*t

And listen, I love gasoline
I drink it every day
But it's getting very pricey
And who is going to pay

How come you're so wrong
My sweet neo con.... Yeah

It's liberty for all
'Cause democracy's our style
Unless you are against us
Then it's prison without trial

But one thing that is certain
Life is good at Haliburton
If you're really so astute
You should invest at Brown & Root.... Yeah

How come you're so wrong
My sweet neo con
If you turn out right
I'll eat my hat tonight

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah....

It's getting very scary
Yes, I'm frightened out of my wits
There's bombers in my bedroom
Yeah and it's giving me the sh*ts

We must have loads more bases
To protect us from our foes
Who needs these foolish friendships
We're going it alone

How come you're so wrong
My sweet neo con
Where's the money gone
In the Pentagon

Yeah ha ha ha
Yeah, well, well

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...
Neo con

Old 08-11-2011, 05:46 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,574,518 times
Thinking on it I believe what remains of folk music still sometimes does political/protest songs as does some Americana. Mary Chapin Carpenter's album The Age of Miracles apparently has songs about Tiananmen and Hurricane Katrina. An artist named James McMurtry had a song called "Cheney's Toys." It seems like the Indigo Girls and Ani DiFranco have politically oriented songs, at least on subjects like feminism and gay rights.

Blues traditionally had some element of protest or at least complaint as does hip-hop/rap. There seems to have been several hip-hop songs about the response to Hurricane Katrina and some blues too.

Possibly none of these are mainstream. Although they're not my thing I guess Arcade Fire and Lil Wayne occasionally get political. Wyclef Jean gets political at times and considered running for President of Haiti.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 08-11-2011 at 06:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music