Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 07:14 AM

430 posts, read 1,192,577 times

Advertisements

Hip-Hop is the most lyrically lucrative and constructive type of music there is. But don't get me wrong , other genres like Country and Rock can hit the themes of life spot on. But you cannot deny that the lyrics of hip-hop are nearly ingenuous.
Any counter examples for my statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 07:36 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
Hip-Hop is the most lyrically lucrative and constructive type of music there is. But don't get me wrong , other genres like Country and Rock can hit the themes of life spot on. But you cannot deny that the lyrics of hip-hop are nearly ingenuous.
Only a well documented history of "folk music" from many countries and cultures around the world that pre-dates being published in the 1600's. Pick any continent, there's a rich culture of folk music going back probably to the crude instruments of many centuries before that.

Ever heard of John Dowland? only one of many composers who published prolifically in the English language ... way back then. It's likely that many of the lyric themes as well as the melodies were in common repertory among the people of the day who created and memorized the tunes, chords, melodies ... they certainly expressed the entire range of human emotion and conditions.

That doesn't even include liturgical music, motets, and similar genres which have been around for many centuries, too ...

and they've endured to be the stolen substance of music used by what so many mistakenly think is innovation in music of just the last few years ... as found in country, western, blue-grass, rock, and ... hip-hop.

I'll bet that the body of hip-hop will be long dead and forgotten while the classic melodies and lyrics of folk music and it's descendants will still be performed and enjoyed throughout the world ..... IMO, hip-hop is one of the most empty forms of musical entertainment to come down the "let's make money in the music biz" game ever created. It's far from innovative or creative, it's only a gimmick of what has been around for many centuries ....

"we can all agree ... " Definitely not. A most incredible false premise!

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-09-2012 at 07:51 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 07:39 AM

119 posts, read 154,478 times

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - YouTube

Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box - YouTube

Old 06-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Jimi Hendrix- The Wind Crys Mary - YouTube

Bob Seger - Turn the Page - YouTube

Old 06-09-2012, 07:58 AM

The Doors-The End [FULL] - YouTube

Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 AM

430 posts, read 1,192,577 times
Well these are all your opinions. You know what they say "With opinions you can never be wrong....... or right" The vast majority of hip-hop, like 98% of it is trash. But there is the 2% that contains great meaningful lyrics. What i'm about to post is essentially poetry "rapped" over a beat. I'de REALLY appreciate it if you guys were to listen, critique, and discuss how you feel about these two songs. These two singles are not shown to show off lyrical ingenuity. But to prove that all of hip-hop isn't some empty "let's make money in the music biz". That the true essence of hip-hop is positive and full of substance.
Look up the lyrics, it'll help you follow the songs a lot easier.
Listen to them and tell me what you think.

2Pac - Keep Ya Head Up - YouTube

2Pac - Dear Mama - YouTube

Old 06-09-2012, 08:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Fine example of "faulty premise leads to faulty conclusion."

Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 AM

MisterM ... what you are asserting as "new" and lyrically rich in your cited examples was expressed as "poems set to music" at least 6 centuries ago and many times since.

Enjoy your choice in entertainment as you wish, but persisting in assserting that this is new or creative in the world of performance is only to show your exceptional ignorance of the history and body of musical expression.

To assert that hip-hop is "full of substance" is something that we can agree on ... but we may not be thinking of the same substance.

I get exposed to enough of this stuff driving down the street and at stoplights in town from folk who think that the rest of the world may be missing out on something, so they make sure we hear it .... thanks to the 1,000 watt audio systems they put in their vehicles. It comes off as noise pollution, not as entertainment for me ... as welcome as an unmuffled exhaust on a large motorcycle and not nearly as pleasureable.

Drover nailed it.

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-09-2012 at 08:48 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 09:45 AM

41 posts, read 90,079 times
Sorry, Hip Hop is not music says this musician.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
(snip)
Look up the lyrics, it'll help you follow the songs a lot easier.
(snip)
I don't have to "look up the lyrics" in music ... I can hear it expressed in the vocals as sung by the performers in real time.

Just curious, MisterM ... have you ever heard of virelai?

They only started performing that back in the 1200's .... poems set to music, and they were predated by ballades ... in a very concise poetry format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music