Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
What's the definition of "underrated"?

It seems to me that many of the listed bands/acts here are rated just fine, and are quite popular.
Yes. The Decemberists are not exactly off the radar. I first heard them in '03 (Los Angeles, I'm Yours slayed me) and they are quite well known now.
And all things considered, they are still rather new.

To be *fairly* rated does not necessarily equate with extreme, loud, fratboy-whooping Dave Mathews-type stadium success.
To me, getting the credit due you is more about being heard on radio/internet/TV and acknowledged by word of mouth, in the media, record sales and concert venues.
I'm really not sure of the numbers.

To me, an underrated band or musical artist is one whose talent shines but is not widely appreciated. J. J. Cale is an influential songwriter/musician who tends to remain behind the scenes. I've been listening to him since 1971.
I've seen him in concert, he has been covered by other bands, but his name is not exactly plastered all over Spin or Guitar World or Rolling Stone.

Ditto the literate Zevon; he was an accomplished musician who could write a killer hook, he was much appreciated by other musical artists, his songs were covered by other bands, and had a strong but small cult following.
However,the average listener barely knew who he was; he was constantly being dropped by record companies.
He was known for Werewolves of London the way CVB are known for Take the Skinheads Bowling.

I like(d) Nick Drake, I mostly just know Pink Moon, and yes, he is underrated.
I am not sure I'd say the same about Joe Strummer; his time with the Mescaleros did not exactly reach the same heights as the Clash but it seems to me he was heard.
I hope those guys are all jamming somewhere right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 08:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post

I like(d) Nick Drake, I mostly just know Pink Moon, and yes, he is underrated.
I'm not so sure about that.
I think we can safely say that Nick Drake was underrated while he was alive.
But his popularity is soaring now - does that matter?
That VW commercial from a few years ago that featured Pink Moon (the song) seemed to renew interest in him.
I just read a biography on him that came out in 2005 (didn't like it much) and "new" compilations of his music are coming out regularly these days.
So is he still underrated?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that.
I think we can safely say that Nick Drake was underrated while he was alive.
But his popularity is soaring now - does that matter?
That VW commercial from a few years ago that featured Pink Moon (the song) seemed to renew interest in him.
I just read a biography on him that came out in 2005 (didn't like it much) and "new" compilations of his music are coming out regularly these days.
So is he still underrated?
Well, I guess I was thinking along the lines of an artist getting his due, or not, while he is alive and cognizant of it.

Van Gogh never got the recognition he deserved while he was painting.
These days his art is so well known that Starry Night is on shower curtains.

Whether or not it matters: Well, to me it does, but I see what you are saying.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Well, I guess I was thinking along the lines of an artist getting his due, or not, while he is alive and cognizant of it.

Van Gogh never got the recognition he deserved while he was painting.
These days his art is so well known that Starry Night is on shower curtains.

Whether or not it matters: Well, to me it does, but I see what you are saying.
I certainly agree that it matters - I wish that Van Gogh and Nick Drake got the recognition they deserved in their own lifetimes.

But would you say that Van Gogh is "underrated" because he didn't?

Interesting side note: I was born on the day that Nick Drake died!
So, I'll be accepting praise on his behalf since I may be the embodied re-incarnation of his immortal soul.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:

But would you say that Van Gogh is "underrated" because he didn't?
That's the conundrum. I don't know the answer.
He definitely *was* underrated while he was alive.
He definitely died never knowing his art was well and truly appreciated.
I was just listening to Nick Drake's "One Of These Things First" tonight.
It is really good.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
What's the definition of "underrated"?

It seems to me that many of the listed bands/acts here are rated just fine, and are quite popular.

Is it that you want bands like the Church to remain as popular today as they were in the late 80s? Well, as good as Starfish is, they don't deserve much praise these days. CVB? Ugh. I'd say they were always overrated.
True, some of the bands listed here have gone platinum (Violent Femmes, Huey Lewis, for example). That's a hell of an accomplishment and it certainly shows that you've received a lot of recognition.

As for The Church, I disagree that they don't deserve much praise these days. At first I was pretty put off by the "spacey stoner mysticism" turn they took after Gold Afternoon Fix but I have come to appreciate it quite a bit more as time has gone on. That's been part of their problem; the fans they picked up with Starfish didn't follow them when they turned paths. However, they still have a small but very dedicated and I daresay deserved following.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:49 PM

I wonder how many underrated artists simply do it for the love of it and don't worry so much about the recognition, let alone the fame and fortune.
Another favorite of mine is Eagle Park Slim.
He worked in the hotel kitchen by day and cooked up the blues at a downtown club at night.
He could really boogie.
He wrote much of his own stuff and always seemed to have a backup band.
He still plays, and probably will play for as long as he can.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:09 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Lincolnshire! I meant to get back to you on your post of November 7th. Barclay James Harvest is in my top 10 of favorite bands. Talk about underrated! I don't which song, or album, is my favorite, but Psychedelic Child just might be the one. Also Titles, The World Goes On, Berlin, Africa, Medicine Man, Delph Town Morn, and more! A great band-BJH!!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
I wonder how many underrated artists simply do it for the love of it...

One guy we can all relate to is Woody Allen. His movies are in a league of their own, but he's also plays clarinet every Monday evening at Manhattan's Carlyle Hotel and I don't think it's for any reason other than the sheer joy he gets from playing Dixieland. He may not fulfill the role of an underrated artist, but I think you get the idea. He's just one of who-knows-how-many just wanting to make music and not out looking for any special attention or recognition.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:33 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times

YouTube - Barclay James Harvest - Mockingbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Lincolnshire! I meant to get back to you on your post of November 7th. Barclay James Harvest is in my top 10 of favorite bands. Talk about underrated! I don't which song, or album, is my favorite, but Psychedelic Child just might be the one. Also Titles, The World Goes On, Berlin, Africa, Medicine Man, Delph Town Morn, and more! A great band-BJH!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music