Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,469 times

Advertisements

he's not underrated outside of asia but i like his voice. it's touching.

YouTube - Kyu Hyun - Dahl Paeng Ee ( Snail ) ROM. & ENG. LYRICS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 06:13 AM

here is some dancing to hiphop. vid a few years old. he's the guy who is part of tvxq and he's a fulltime student and he's also an expert martial artist. anyways he's pretty cool. there is a lot more people but i can't put them all. there is so much talent out there all over the world. what's funny is asia is chockfull of beautiful talent but i hardly see anything like that in the states. very few if at all and they are usually southeast asian with very strong voices geared to hiphop/rap. like i rarely see them say on america's next top model or american idol etc.

not only him but a lot of them dance better than what i've seen on dance competitions in america which is strange. they are that good. there are a lot of groups that could smoke those competitions but they are overseas. it really surprised me. asians in asia are taller than the ones in the states. they are really, really tall especially the younger generation.

in the west, asians are portrayed as caricatures mostly by the media similar to if asians portrayed westerners as fat burger eating slobs. i see most east asians portrayed as the jackie chan sidekick, an ugly americanized banana like lucy lui or some goofy misfit. or if they show up on american idol, they usually are. but in asia that is not how asians actually are and they do not carry themselves that way. they carry themselves with dignity and they are attractive. many westerners believe that the only attractive people in asia are just the small number of celebrites. that is furthest from the truth. actually there are more beautiful people that are everyday people.

here is a few talents that i thought were underrated or no one really knows about, among many. still, most asians do not pursue show business as a career even if they are immensely talented partly because of the culture. the vids are old as i don't keep up with current stuff.

YouTube - TVXQ -- U-know solo

love his cane dance 2:00

YouTube - [Dance battle] U-know Yunho & Xiah Junsu

YouTube - Yunho FanCam - 2005.12.30. - Yunho & Junsu Dance + DBSK

pretty girl from china, not well known, mainly ballad singer

YouTube - Chinese Girl with an amazing voice, versatility & range

diamond-in the 90's. teen star. i notice the pop style now is similar to asia in the nineties. it's as if there is an overlap, like in spirit or vision america catches up with asia because i remember even in the 80's asia felt way more progressive but it's the other way around with technology.

YouTube - Dana's Diamond Music Video

chae yeon, korean singer

YouTube - Chae Yeon - My Love MV

Last edited by leaana; 03-12-2009 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Cake

They had:
Short skirt, long jacket
Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell
Guitar man
The Distance
Never there

All very good songs. Original sound.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Cake
I like Cake alot but they have 2 Platinum albums and another Gold album. Just sayin. I wouldn't call any band that has even one platinum album underrated, and they've got two.

O.A.R might be underrated, but their new stuff sucks. I guess they were underrated in the late 90' early 2000's. They definitely don't have any platinum albums.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:47 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I like Cake alot but they have 2 Platinum albums and another Gold album. Just sayin. I wouldn't call any band that has even one platinum album underrated, and they've got two.

O.A.R might be underrated, but their new stuff sucks. I guess they were underrated in the late 90' early 2000's. They definitely don't have any platinum albums.

Didnt know that. Yeah...OAR isnt as mainstream as they could be but they have almost a cult following among college aged kids. Similar to them would be Widespread Panic. Never hear their stuff on the radio but they have almost a mini-grateful dead or phish following. Good music by all of them, though.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:04 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Didnt know that. Yeah...OAR isnt as mainstream as they could be but they have almost a cult following among college aged kids. Similar to them would be Widespread Panic. Never hear their stuff on the radio but they have almost a mini-grateful dead or phish following. Good music by all of them, though.

Funny, but now the college kids that liked them in the late 90's (my age) are now 30ish. I guess thats why they are now considered "adult contemporary" I hear them on the radio, just no stations I listen to. I hear them like in supermarkets or dentist offices LOL!!

I still go and see them every time they come to town though, that's how I saw Jonathan Tyler for the first time. Funny how at every concert, year after year, the crowd gets younger and younger, it kind of puzzles me since it has been 8 years since I started listening to them and I look like an old guy in the crowd when I go now!! LOL. Makes it easy in the beer line though!!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:08 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Personally, I used to underrate Brian May. I didn't realize how good he actually is.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:03 AM

heechul singing with trax. heechul is really sexy btw

YouTube - Heechul visual rock-ing with the TRAX X-Mas on X-Man

the classic. i love son ye jin.

YouTube - The Classic MV

um, i'm just posting this becuz it's so funny. it's self-explanatory as they reveal childhood embarassing dances and sing a childhood song at the end in acapella.

YouTube - DBSK - Funny Dances=

Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,821,340 times
Queen is very underrated band in the US. Nothing like it is in the Europe and in the UK itself where Queen is utterly popular.
The reason of underestimation of Queen in the US is (as I guess) the label that mass media sticked to Freddie Mercury. You know, he was always defined with the label "Mr.Bad Guy" That's why Freddie even created the song during his solo career. The song was "Mr.Bad Guy". It was ironical of course. The song goes like this:
I'm Mr. Bad Guy
They're all afraid of me
I can ruin people's lives
Mr. Bad Guy they're all afraid of me
It's the only way to be
That's my destiny
I guess because Freddie was a bit eccentric on stage and wore unusual clothes during videos and concerts some people were shocked.
When we see how he behaves himself and how he dresses we gotta take into consideration that he was not the native of London. He was born in Africa, lived there during his childhood, then moved to India and lived there some years and only when he was being a teenager his family moved to London. That makes all the difference in the world. Freddie was from a different culture environment and that's why his behavior and world outlook could differ from ours. Besides, he was of Zoroastrianism religion. (Sometimes Freddie's white clothes on stage remind me clothes that are used in Zoroastrianism.)

I don't want to offend somebody but the US being a wonderful country on the whole is a bit conservative country when it comes to many aspects of life. Take for example the scandal with John Lennon when he told, "We are more popular than Jesus Christ right now".
You know for Europe it was ok, nobody was too shocked with these words, but in the US it was a REAL scandal.
Something like it happened with Freddie. Because of his behavior he was banned sometimes in the US and in some other counties (for example in mine way back).
Again, I'm not gonna offend nobody. Just talking about facts.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
Queen is very underrated band in the US. Nothing like it is in the Europe and in the UK itself where Queen is utterly popular.
The reason of underestimation of Queen in the US is (as I guess) the label that mass media sticked to Freddie Mercury. You know, he was always defined with the label "Mr.Bad Guy" That's why Freddie even created the song during his solo career. The song was "Mr.Bad Guy". It was ironical of course. The song goes like this:
I'm Mr. Bad Guy
They're all afraid of me
I can ruin people's lives
Mr. Bad Guy they're all afraid of me
It's the only way to be
That's my destiny
I guess because Freddie was a bit eccentric on stage and wore unusual clothes during videos and concerts some people were shocked.
When we see how he behaves himself and how he dresses we gotta take into consideration that he was not the native of London. He was born in Africa, lived there during his childhood, then moved to India and lived there some years and only when he was being a teenager his family moved to London. That makes all the difference in the world. Freddie was from a different culture environment and that's why his behavior and world outlook could differ from ours. Besides, he was of Zoroastrianism religion. (Sometimes Freddie's white clothes on stage remind me clothes that are used in Zoroastrianism.)

I don't want to offend somebody but the US being a wonderful country on the whole is a bit conservative country when it comes to many aspects of life. Take for example the scandal with John Lennon when he told, "We are more popular than Jesus Christ right now".
You know for Europe it was ok, nobody was too shocked with these words, but in the US it was a REAL scandal.
Something like it happened with Freddie. Because of his behavior he was banned sometimes in the US and in some other counties (for example in mine way back).
Again, I'm not gonna offend nobody. Just talking about facts.
I don't want to offend somebody from, well, wherever you're from, but what the hell are you talking about? You make it sound as if Queen is regarded here as some obscure underground phenomenon on account of Freddie Mercury being widely regarded as a bizarre eccentric when in reality they've sold over 35 million albums here. American album sales account for nearly 20% of their total album sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music