Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:27 AM

259 posts, read 522,767 times

Advertisements

From someone who is not a fan of country, but doesn't dislike it either (I'm indifferent), I'm baffled by how so many people go out of their way to say they don't like it. When finding out people's favorite types of music, a lot of people will make it a note to say "anything but country" at the end of their list.

It's really weird to me. I just read a thread in which someone mentioned that the only thing they hated about living in Texas again was having to hear country music at many of the gas stations. Like, really? Country music is that horrible that you have to make a random thread about it?

Can anyone give any insight? Again, I understand people who are indifferent to it or just don't like it. It just seems odd to me that so many people purposely go out of their way to mention their dislike for it, like it's the worst genre in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
Can anyone give any insight?
These people can:
Why do a lot of people hate country music?

Old 09-13-2013, 04:10 PM

876 posts, read 635,588 times
To me, people like that make country music look like its about a truth that they themselves are not willing to admit and maybe it is, but in my opinion, country music is not the reason why such a truth or truths exist, so why throw all of the blame onto the genre or any genre for that matter when they have nothing to do with whatever is on your plate?

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
Can anyone give any insight? Again, I understand people who are indifferent to it or just don't like it. It just seems odd to me that so many people purposely go out of their way to mention their dislike for it, like it's the worst genre in the world.
I have to say that most of the people who go out of their way to express their dislike of country music are simply immature and usually young people. Most mature people who do not like it are simply indifferent to it.

Country music is not aimed at everyone. It's aimed at an audience who is familiar with the subjects found in the lyrics which, in most country songs, is clearly heard above the instruments. People who live in large cities rarely experience red dirt roads, front porches, tractors and the many other things that country singers sing about. There's nothing in country lyrics for them to relate to.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:41 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
I grew up where country was the major genre, there wasn't much else.

I wish I could explain better why I can hardly stand it. I would say the main reason, it was really forced on me from day one. No one would give any other genre a chance. It was shoved down my throat. In the car, all my friends, my father, at school, even at church, my peers, my parents friends, acquaintances, at work, everywhere. It's like "yee haw country yeah let's go to Branson! Ugh. I never related to it despite being where I'm from. I also felt like I did not belong, where I was from. And people where I am from, tried to make that music their lifestyle as well. And it just never "fit" for me. I just never got it. I find a lot of it depressing, I guess.

I always did like Johnny Cash. As a kid I liked Dwight Yoakam. Something about the country "twang" just grated on my nerves, though. There was some country in the early to mid 90's I liked. I just could not stand Garth. And when Cyrus song came out (can't recall) that big famous one, I mean it was ALL everyone talked about! When people talked about it literally 5 times a day... and played it everyday, it just got so freaking TIRING. Achy Breaky Heart... that's it. And the Garth song, Friends in Low Places. I am short, so everyone's like HA HA that's you, cause you're short! It's just so annoying. And overplayed, where I lived, and everyone overplayed that stuff.

I just don't like the general sounds of it, though. It's not me. Funny, even though I am familiar with the subjects, I don't like those subjects. I prefer my music more complicated maybe. I don't wanna hear about tractors and football and Billy Bob loves Charlene. I am not sure how to explain it but my favorite music, it's the ones that I can't tell the meaning the first time I hear it. I often have to look up the meaning (not because I can't understand the words, it's because they often have a deeper, complicated meaning)

Old 09-14-2013, 03:14 PM

876 posts, read 635,588 times
I chatted with a girl that I work with today about this subject and she agreed when I said that country music is about how things really are and not how people wish that them things are. Songs about the sad realities of life make up a big part of country music and to me, that is what makes people walk away from it because what they may be wanting is an escape from them kind of things.

God bless you and my co-worker always!!!

Holly

P.S. Not all country music is sad though and to me, that is what makes it worth listening to! With so many different things being sung about in country music these days, country radio has become a box of chocolates. When one song is playing, you don't know what the next song will be about.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:32 PM

206 posts, read 254,822 times
Why do they hate it?

Mostly the singer or the twang IMO.

Just sing it already.....

Try these.....

Aaron Lewis - "Country Boy" (Official Video) - YouTube

Dire Straits - The Bug + lyrics - YouTube

John Mellencamp - Pink Houses - YouTube

Old 09-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Lack of a 'bottleneck' too often times......

Best slide guitar blues EVER !!! - YouTube

Old 09-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Yep......

YouTube

Sonny Landreth_Native Stepson - YouTube

Lynyrd Skynyrd Four Walls Of Rayford - YouTube

Old 09-14-2013, 04:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Personally I would say country is the least liked. I say rap is in numbers .But music is for the individual not masses now days as we have choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music