Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:21 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,285,665 times

Advertisements

I buy CDs. I buy 60 to 90 CDs per year. I do this for a number of reasons. On occasion something I want to own is not available by CD. However, Bandcamp is very good at having lossless files available for purchase. So I buy that, burn a CD-R, and format and print up the art. I make it look very much like a CD you could have bought had they manufactured them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
Buy more singles and fewer LPs. Anybody worth their salt can condense their talent into a hit single. As a genre rock albums get far too much reverence and pop singles don't get nearly enough.
I'm the exact opposite. I *only* listen to full albums, never individual singles / tracks. I take the entire album as the indivisible unit of art of the band.
Quote:
Don't bother "keeping up" with music. In general the best music is the oldest.
Wow, couldn't disagree more. In my opinion we are living in a golden age of music, a literal explosion of quality, diversity, fusion, experimentation, and entrepreneurism. It's fantastic.
Quote:
Don't say "I like all kinds of things". Everybody thinks they've got broad taste. The more music you listen to the more you're aware of how much you've yet to hear.
Wow, totally agree with you here. When I hear somebody say "I like all types of music" I usually interpret that as they aren't really music fans, or don't really know what they like, or have pretty rudimentary tastes. I personally dislike quite a bit of music, even whole genres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,163,611 times
mine looks like a cd collection. if anything, having electronic versions of songs on my ipods have increased by cd purchases. mostly classical nowadays, but not all.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I buy CDs. I buy 60 to 90 CDs per year. I do this for a number of reasons. On occasion something I want to own is not available by CD. However, Bandcamp is very good at having lossless files available for purchase. So I buy that, burn a CD-R, and format and print up the art. I make it look very much like a CD you could have bought had they manufactured them.
I do help with my mom getting some albums like that. I don't print it up and make it up like a true CD but I get her CD-Rs full of albums.

Quote:
I'm the exact opposite. I *only* listen to full albums, never individual singles / tracks. I take the entire album as the indivisible unit of art of the band.
I think some artists are like that. Unless it's like a progressive act like Dream Theater or Angels & Airwaves, concept albums like Green Day with American Idiot and then 21st Century Breakdown or even Bon Jovi with their Bounce, The Circle, and their most recent What About now, the idea of a whole album is dying being a collective story and a linked unit is gone. Too many acts now may make slight changes album to album but the album is moved by singles or if you are lucky because of who it is like Avenged Sevenfolds' Hail To the King. The days of say Nirvana's Nevermind and In Utero as well as Metallica's Black Album are gone where we can listen to an album full of good stuff is gone. Instead are about six good to great songs (four of which normally become singles) while the rest is filler with no value and hardly ever played in concert and there is no link, except for the fact the same artist did it and it's on the same album.

Quote:
Wow, couldn't disagree more. In my opinion we are living in a golden age of music, a literal explosion of quality, diversity, fusion, experimentation, and entrepreneurism. It's fantastic.
It's definitely is a new era that I think in someways goes back to the 50's and 60's rather than the 70's-00's. There are several major labels that produce pop music (including urban pop and pop rock) and then a few majorly backed rock and urban labels that have "real" acts (compared to pop.) Under that you have the underground labels that have true rock and true urban acts. And I say this as a pop fan, the issue is unless you are a known brand in music like Bon Jovi, it is not likely to be creative if it is on a pop label (like they are with Island/Def Jam.)

Quote:
Wow, totally agree with you here. When I hear somebody say "I like all types of music" I usually interpret that as they aren't really music fans, or don't really know what they like, or have pretty rudimentary tastes. I personally dislike quite a bit of music, even whole genres.
I grew up on my parents listening to country as well as the local adult pop station which would play pop-era Genesis/Phil Collins, pop rock (pseudo metal) era Cher,

Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,625,827 times
You know one thng I worry about and hope that it doesn't happen is the possibility of music simply looked at as a commodity, i.e. you know like salt or pepper always in a shaker, there all the time and taken for granted. I hope music realy stays 'appreciated.' It's almost 'too easy' (just get on a pc!) to get a new song today since there are so many venues and ways now where you can hear one. How can you listen to everything going after your ears? It's like it's all over the place. I don't know. I think we may have lost that certain psychological feeling of getting inviolved with music today. When 45's came out people would hover around to get it and pass it around as if it was golden or something, (look what I found! do you get this sound!?). Same with an album and its cover art. It was like you were some kind of an explorer or something wading in rivers of music eagerly getting into everything about hat piece of music. Same today? I'm not sure now that mp3s' and ipods do it but I hope they do!

Old 09-30-2013, 03:16 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,143,718 times
My music collection is in a small 2tb external hard drive. And I have all my audio equipment throughout my house networked to access my 45,000+ song data base. Add in Spotify and I'm in music heaven.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:38 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,352,275 times
Sold all my CDs prior to my last move. Now everything's digital. I regret nothing

Old 10-04-2013, 03:29 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,875,088 times
It looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
What do music collections look like today now that CDs are outdated?-screen-shot-2013-10-04-22.28.42.png  

Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 PM

664 posts, read 856,826 times
i like CDs. i don't buy digital music much. i have iTunes on my computer, but i don't really use it. LOL

Old 10-06-2013, 01:31 PM

62 posts, read 100,838 times
CDs are outdated?

I didn't know....

Sure have a lot of them as well as cassettes and other sources.

I want to own it.

I don't want it on digital format on a MP3 or iPod.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:10 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,530,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD_388 View Post
CDs are outdated?

I didn't know....

Sure have a lot of them as well as cassettes and other sources.

I want to own it.

I don't want it on digital format on a MP3 or iPod.
Yeah, CD's have been outdated for at least 10 years. CD sales peaked around 2000 and have been on a downward slide since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music