Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

This comes from a post I made in another thread that I am wondering. Into the 80's and even 90's nobody really tried to divide rock into different genres. However with the birth of Post Grunge we have seen more and more of these silly sub-genre labels come up. Examples of these sub-genres include:
  • Alternative Metal
  • Blackened Death
  • Celtic Punk
  • Deathcore
  • Doom Metal
  • Emocore
  • Folk Metal
  • Indie Rock
  • Melodic Death Metal
  • Metalcore
  • Nu-Metal
  • Pop Punk
  • Post Grunge
  • Post Hardcore
  • Post Metal
  • Post Punk
  • Power Metal
  • Screamo
  • Skacore
  • Sludge Metal
  • Southern Metal
  • Symphonic Metal

My question is why can't we just make rock, rock anymore? Why must we label it and divide it for no reason? I love all these sub-genres but honestly I feel these labels divides rock fans like myself and wonder if other rock fans think the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 08:31 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,324,826 times
Follow the ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYbEDAxg2Zs

At a Respectable distance All the "GENRES" being bandied about are labels, brands...styles of music named by those who SELL the music. Like a brand, They impose their "labels" on a style of music in order to sell it. Rock and Roll, Country, Funk, Hip Hop, Electro, Dance, Metal, Deep House, Dub Step are NOT genres, they are styles of Blues Music. "Labels" imposed by shopkeepers, record executives, promoters...those who do not make the music.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:27 AM

The genes you mentioned are distinct enough. The issue to me isn't that there is say metal vs punk. For the most part there is enough of a difference between the two genes that one can instantly hear (except when you hear fusion sub genes like say Crossover Thrash or Metalcore bands.) What I am saying is that when you break down theses genes further into sub-sets it is the problem. I mean you listen to pop punk and emocore you won't hear much of a difference because they are stylistically similar (with a few more introspective lyrics in emo) but you pay emocore followed by say Blackened Death, you can hear a difference.

The big issue to me is some genres are too wide open like post grunge where all you need is the shaky voice similar to Eddie Vedder and an alternative sounding guitar and you are part grunge. Some bands that play that don't even really sound grungy like say Alter Bridge but yet that is their genre.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
"
Quote:
Labels" imposed by shopkeepers, record executives, promoters...those who do not make the music.
And I'd go with that. When commerc and advertising took hold, 'music' not only changed in its description but chnaged in the actual making of it. The 'labels' developed 'markets' for avertising to get hold. And I'm not sure how the Internet is affecting the development of music but it's hard to get away from the observation that arguably it could be described as just one great big ad medium. Advertising just overruns it. I have to think it sure affects the making of music by artists today much more so than in previous eras.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
And I'd go with that. When commerc and advertising took hold, 'music' not only changed in its description but chnaged in the actual making of it. The 'labels' developed 'markets' for avertising to get hold. And I'm not sure how the Internet is affecting the development of music but it's hard to get away from the observation that arguably it could be described as just one great big ad medium. Advertising just overruns it. I have to think it sure affects the making of music by artists today much more so than in previous eras.
A&R has been accused of ruining several bands overtime whether it was turning Whitesnake into a hair metal band (they started as blues/original hard rock) or a majority of what is post-grunge. I know the glam/hair metal title ruins a good number of bands and removes their credibility. This has happened with many of those bands except for say Guns N Roses and Skid Row because the image turned off many fans.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:38 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Quote:
A&R has been accused of ruining several bands overtime whether it was turning Whitesnake into a hair metal band (they started as blues/original hard rock) or a majority of what is post-grunge. I know the glam/hair metal title ruins a good number of bands and removes their credibility. This has happened with many of those bands except for say Guns N Roses and Skid Row because the image turned off many fans.
For sure I'd think every band who's in the business may have to cross that road which is how far do you go to keep the band's integrity when making music? The Whos' 'Sell Out' record kind of hints at that.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:26 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

My question is why can't we just make rock, rock anymore? Why must we label it and divide it for no reason? I love all these sub-genres but honestly I feel these labels divides rock fans like myself and wonder if other rock fans think the same thing.
I don't pay much mind to it, other than find it a tad annoying. If I like it, I don't really care what sub-genre it belongs to.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I don't pay much mind to it, other than find it a tad annoying. If I like it, I don't really care what sub-genre it belongs to.
Same here, however some hear post-grunge and instantly crap on Collective Soul, Candlebox, Creed and Nickelback despite not realizing who they are. Seriously play B-side songs by Nickelback to someone who hates Nickelback and then ask if they like it. When they say yes, tell them it is Nickelback.

Any songs like: Hangnail, Learn The Hardway, Next Contestant, S.E.X. Someone that You're With, Something in Your Mouth and Yanking Out My Heart should work for Nickelback.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:48 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Same here, however some hear post-grunge and instantly crap on Collective Soul, Candlebox, Creed and Nickelback despite not realizing who they are. Seriously play B-side songs by Nickelback to someone who hates Nickelback and then ask if they like it. When they say yes, tell them it is Nickelback.

Any songs like: Hangnail, Learn The Hardway, Next Contestant, S.E.X. Someone that You're With, Something in Your Mouth and Yanking Out My Heart should work for Nickelback.
Sounds like I need to listen to some Nickelback. They just did nothing for me, but yeah okay I'll give it a try

Old 03-26-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Sounds like I need to listen to some Nickelback. They just did nothing for me, but yeah okay I'll give it a try

Hangnail

Learn The Hardway

Next Contestant

S.E.X.

Someone That You're With

Something in Your Mouth

Yankin' Out My Heart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music