Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:51 PM

532 posts, read 550,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Is it a hit though? The problem is what use to be easy hits aren't. Green Day has only had like two hits in the last five years, Godsmack has not really had a true hit since Enemy or maybe Good Times, Bad Times. I am not being down on metal/hard rock, it just seems like the mainstream is passing them by and it will have to have the right champion or right evolution to stay truly relevant or it will die off like disco.
Erna is one of the most talented guys in music today. He plays guitar, sings and is also a killer drummer.

Godsmack - Drum Battle HD - Sully Erna vs Shannon Larkin - Batalla De Los Tambores (HD).flv - YouTube

I'm a guitarist....I can't sing worth a damn and definitely don't play drums, let alone RULE doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 PM

Good enough for movies too.

Godsmack - I Stand Alone - YouTube

Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM

Good enough to me too.

Die Hard Trilogy - YouTube

Old 04-28-2014, 06:46 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,792,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
But the fact is, Kanye West is one of the MOST critically-acclaimed artists of this generation. He is eccentric, and you may not like rap, but he is a so-called "critic darling"

--
I'd like to have some of these posters give some examples of songs they don't like...
Critically acclaimed by who? His teenage fans, his peers? He is a pop artist, and relies upon duos and remixes to boost his career and sales. Guys like him and P-Diddy are a joke. You really think he can sing with the aid of auto tune? Even the queen of all divas Beyonce needs to lip sync her songs.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 PM

351 posts, read 500,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Critically acclaimed by who? His teenage fans, his peers? He is a pop artist, and relies upon duos and remixes to boost his career and sales. Guys like him and P-Diddy are a joke. You really think he can sing with the aid of auto tune? Even the queen of all divas Beyonce needs to lip sync her songs.
He's a rapper though, not a singer
21 grammy's
3 albums ranked in rolling stone's top 500 albums of all time

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy : 94/100 average on Metacritic, named best album of 2010 by TIME, Billboard, Rolling Stone, Pitchfork Media, Spin, etc.

Similar universal acclaim for his other albums such as The College Dropout (#10 on Rolling Stone's best albums of the decade) 808s and Heartbreak (#63 on best albums of the deacde), Yeezus (topped 18 critics' lists for the best album of 2013, appearing on 61 total)

I don't like rap, but there is no denying the fact that Kanye West is critically acclaimed.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Godsmack has HEART, disco never did. With me great rock will ALWAYS live and I'm 53.
There's no debating that. The point is that hard rock isn't the force it was even ten years ago. On a whole, music isn't the great full albums it used to be and more about the individual singles. Is Godsmack good, yes. However tastes have changed and they aren't as relevant as they were with Voodoo, Awake, I Stand Alone and Enemy. I wish more hard rock were on the charts but it isn't, even the more popular stuff like Halestorm and Foo Fighters.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,997 times
Music speaks to the soul.

There isn't the same passion today for music, the energy is just different today. I would love to see the same type of talent that once was there, but I just don't see it. The younger generation needs to feel inspired and uplifted to create awesome music. I hope they do

Old 04-28-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
Music speaks to the soul.

There isn't the same passion today for music, the energy is just different today. I would love to see the same type of talent that once was there, but I just don't see it. The younger generation needs to feel inspired and uplifted to create awesome music. I hope they do
These two diamondbacks can bang with the best of 'em.

*Fang*

Kenny Wayne Shepherd "Voodoo Child" Live - YouTube

Joe Bonamassa - Had To Cry Today (Live) - YouTube

Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 PM

Notice that was all live...

That was on PURPOSE!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:24 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,997 times
What is the best concert you have been to.
We need another music promoter, that would help a lot in the music world.
Bill Graham did so much for music, he made it all happen. I wish for the Rock Gods to bring us someone like him again, however, he was one of a kind. Bless him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music