Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 03:45 PM

818 posts, read 857,781 times

Advertisements

I honestly think that deep down at the core of it, it's a race thing, keep in mind, I'm saying this as a white guy. Let's say that Dave Matthews or Maroon 5 releases a song called " I am a God", everyone would run around " They have so much confidence, it's nice to see confident people." Kanye does it and everyone runs around saying " who does he think he is?" If every rapper were white, rap wouldn't get the backlash it gets. If every rapper looked like Zack Morris, nobody would care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 03:49 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,504,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I honestly think that deep down at the core of it, it's a race thing, keep in mind, I'm saying this as a white guy. Let's say that Dave Matthews or Maroon 5 releases a song called " I am a God", everyone would run around " They have so much confidence, it's nice to see confident people." Kanye does it and everyone runs around saying " who does he think he is?" If every rapper were white, rap wouldn't get the backlash it gets.
I am pretty sure that ANY celebrity that compares their art to the work of Jesus will outrage Christians, regardless of color. It is like Gwyneth Paltrow saying that being a celebrity on twitter is like being a soldier in a war... she has been crucified for it, and she is white.

If Dave Matthews or Maroon 5 said that their art is comparable to the work of Jesus, Christians would flip out on them too.

Don't know if I agree with this point.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:53 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times
I think I hit this party late. I'm in my mid 20s, I like a lot of genres of music, but I can't stand pop, rap or any of that teenage stuff. I like beats, I actually produce beats and have some stuff online, but I do not enjoy the rap, it's image is not for me and it's sound is not for me. Is it artistic? Yes. If you like rap, good for you.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:58 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
Obviously there is good, creative, honest rap and hip hop, but in pop culture it's such a minority of the content. I seriously can't stand the materialistic, nihilistic nature of a lot of it, and I am so sick of people who give that style a pass because 'they are just rapping about what they know' or how X artist was poor and is now just making an example of how wealthy s/he is by living and and performing and exhorbitant cost of living. Spread the wealth then, jackass.

But yes, there is more positive hip hop outlets. I was reading recently about Senegalese hip hop:

Senegalese hip hop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-30-2014, 11:10 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
Quote:
I honestly think that deep down at the core of it, it's a race thing, keep in mind, I'm saying this as a white guy. Let's say that Dave Matthews or Maroon 5 releases a song called " I am a God", everyone would run around " They have so much confidence, it's nice to see confident people." Kanye does it and everyone runs around saying " who does he think he is?" If every rapper were white, rap wouldn't get the backlash it gets. If every rapper looked like Zack Morris, nobody would care.
Interesting you say this because although I have to admit the production of a lot of Kanye West's stuff is impressive and the instrumentation can often be really amazing (and I'm not sure how responsible he is for a lot of that anyways), but I think he's a total douche at the end of the day. Definite case of unwarranted self-importance.

Also, I actually feel it's the opposite in terms of the race thing. I find there is something about being white/caucasian that makes it less likely for a person to have a suitable sound for hiphop. It's as though blacks have, in general, deeper voices which work better for the genre. I genuinely can't think of a white hip-hop artist that doesn't sound at least a little bit like a hack. Of course this certainly isn't a basis/excuse for racism or anything, I just think there seems to be some sort of relationship between tone of voice and race.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:08 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Obviously there is good, creative, honest rap and hip hop, but in pop culture it's such a minority of the content. I seriously can't stand the materialistic, nihilistic nature of a lot of it, and I am so sick of people who give that style a pass because 'they are just rapping about what they know' or how X artist was poor and is now just making an example of how wealthy s/he is by living and and performing and exhorbitant cost of living. Spread the wealth then, jackass.

But yes, there is more positive hip hop outlets. I was reading recently about Senegalese hip hop:

Senegalese hip hop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Interesting you say this because although I have to admit the production of a lot of Kanye West's stuff is impressive and the instrumentation can often be really amazing (and I'm not sure how responsible he is for a lot of that anyways), but I think he's a total douche at the end of the day. Definite case of unwarranted self-importance.

Also, I actually feel it's the opposite in terms of the race thing. I find there is something about being white/caucasian that makes it less likely for a person to have a suitable sound for hiphop. It's as though blacks have, in general, deeper voices which work better for the genre. I genuinely can't think of a white hip-hop artist that doesn't sound at least a little bit like a hack. Of course this certainly isn't a basis/excuse for racism or anything, I just think there seems to be some sort of relationship between tone of voice and race.
Some of my favorite hip hop beats are actually produced by Asian peoples, Nujabes, DJ Krush...

To me it has nothing to do with race.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:09 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
For me, rappers belong on candy bars and condoms but that's just my opinion.
Classic Rock and some Metal are what makes my pipes smoke...
I agree with you. I can't listen to rap for 20 seconds without wanting to shoot the radio. I'll take classic rock for 1000 please...

Old 05-31-2014, 07:25 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
Rap music started out the same way blues did. When blues was discovered in the twenties, like rap it was " unapologetically " black music. It was inspired, created by and for black people. The major difference is rap came on the scene during a period when black musicians ( Michael Jackson ) were crossing over to appeal to a wider audience.

Oddly, most forms of popular music once it is established, forms various branches that appeal to diversify its audience. For instance, Rock has ; hard , soft , country, jazz, etc., and heavy metal has many branches also.

Rap on the other hand branches out through various ethnicities or cultural groups. I think people who don't like rap are just not listening to artist who are one of them.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Death/Thrash metal band Slayer is a better example with writing songs called Angel of Death and Jihad. Angel of Death about Nazi Germany's "Angel of Death" and Jihad was about 9/11 through the eyes of a terrorist. They got slamed for it. Dave Matthews and Maroon 5 would actually never do an "I am a God" song. Most bands that would do it are like a Van Halen at the heights of the David Lee Roth lead singer syndrome or like Slayer would be doing it to be artistic.

As for Kayne saying that, he is just annoying. Has he done good songs but he's done so many stupid things. Kayne and other rappers writing that like Kendrick Lamar, are typically doing it in annoying ways. Up through Heartless, he has done good songs, since then I don't really care.

As for if rap sucks, I don't really like modern rap. I like more of old school rap like Public Enemy, Run D.M.C., Beastie Boys, DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince and even new school acts like Eminem, Papoose and Black Eyed Peas and hip-hop soul like Cee Lo and Aloe Blacc. Rap doesn't appeal to me even though I actually have been opened up to R&B more and more of late.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
Quote:
Let's say that Dave Matthews or Maroon 5 releases a song called " I am a God", everyone would run around " They have so much confidence, it's nice to see confident people."
AYFKM? If Adam Levine ran around singing "I am a G-d," there would be no end to the **** people would give him. No end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music