Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:34 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I have noticed bona fide baby boomer rock fans do not move on. There should be a psychological investigation. This is why corporate classic rock stations play the same songs from 1973 ad nauseum and these type of discussions continue.
What would you expect a classic rock station to play besides classic rock? That's sort of the point, isn't it?

I doubt there will be an era of music in our lifetimes to equal the classic rock era. We loved it in the 60s and 70s. Our KIDS fell in love with it growing up. And all these years later, people still love the music. I see young people commenting on You Tube classic rock videos all the time that they wish music was still the way it was then. I think that speaks volumes.

A lot of the classic rock bands I saw in the 70s, I am now seeing again with my adult children because they love it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I love Led Zeppelin, but I wouldn't have bought tickets. I didn't even try to go to the Police reunion tour. Some things can never be recreated. Just my opinion.

If you get their celberation DVD/cd combo you would think differently , with Jason Bonham at drums they sound great. Led zeppelin sound like a fine wine better with age. Jimmy page is still great and Robert plant still sounds like the young Robert plant and John Paul jones is always great. They were presented with the Kennedy center award. Jeff black called them the best rock band ever.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
They play these songs because they are classic and never get out of style. Classic rock will always be around unlike today's music.
Exactly. I saw the "one night release" movie of the reunion concert, and I was stunned to see that people of every age and style were there. Any they yelled and cheered like a real concert. And the band was so good.

I think they should as least re-release the movie. Many people never even saw the ads to see it. There is just something about seeing it on a big theatre screen.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
What would you expect a classic rock station to play besides classic rock? That's sort of the point, isn't it?

I doubt there will be an era of music in our lifetimes to equal the classic rock era. We loved it in the 60s and 70s. Our KIDS fell in love with it growing up. And all these years later, people still love the music. I see young people commenting on You Tube classic rock videos all the time that they wish music was still the way it was then. I think that speaks volumes.

A lot of the classic rock bands I saw in the 70s, I am now seeing again with my adult children because they love it too.
Classic Rock stations should play more variety. Some DJs play the same exact songs every day, having maybe 50 songs that they play over and over and over. There's lots of great classic rock that they never play. And I'm not talking about obscure, weird stuff either.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
The Baby Boomer propaganda machine spews their nonsense again.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
The Baby Boomer propaganda machine spews their nonsense again.

And most generation X and Y are still living in la la land. Have had everything handed to them and some still live with ther boomer parents and grandparents because they can't make it on there own.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:09 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Classic Rock stations should play more variety. Some DJs play the same exact songs every day, having maybe 50 songs that they play over and over and over. There's lots of great classic rock that they never play. And I'm not talking about obscure, weird stuff either.
Please.

Do you really think the DJ's have any say on what they play? No.
Likely they are employees of giant corporations like Clear Channel. Fat cats who sit behind their desks and decide what the public should hear, limited as that may be. As a result, like you said, a lot of great music from this era never gets played. That goes for bands that use to be played in the classic rock era but aren't heard from anymore. They own the airwaves and the DJ is only an employee who needs money to make a living. I'm under the impression that most of them just get by.

There are a few independently owned stations but from what I heard they follow the same mentality.
I do not have satelllite radio and have no idea if it's different or not.

As to the topic - no interest. I saw the Led Zeppelin IV tour and enjoyed it a lot. Pretty sure I paid something like $7.50 for the ticket. Tickets would be at least $250.00 and I can't get excited on paying that much to see anyone. Drop it to $75.00 and I still wouldn't go. I'll see lesser known acts in small clubs for around $20.00 and get a greater experience.

I do not blame Robert Plant for not doing it. I saw him in 2002 and he only played 3 Led Zeppelin songs. Him and his band were the supporting act for The Who at MSG. It was a lot quieter from his early days but an enjoyable set.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:06 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Still playing the occasional Led Zep song in a different way and a reunion are two very different things.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
I think the solo material of Robert Plant is starting to rival his old band. Going back to the 80's Big Log was brilliant! Late 80's-Lighten Up Baby I'm in Love with you was another gem. More recently his work with Alison Krause and Buddy Miller is outstanding. Plant grew up.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:18 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I don't have much respect for Jimmy Page on guitar. He's decent garage band grade. That sounds a lot different on studio mix.
Doesn't matter very much what year guitar someone plays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music