Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:54 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times

Advertisements

I know it is always a matter of taste being subjective but there are parameters to quality of music.

So considering if I enjoyed and love the music of the past that many reasonable and prudent people perceived as quality, would it be inappropriate of me to say that I find the majority of music that is being distributed in my area of interest to be not as quality as in the past? Whether it be R&B, hip hop, pop, electronic dance...

Are we getting older and not in tuned with the youth or are we honestly as older folk able to distinguish btwn quality and average music? Not to say that the good music isn't being made today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 11:16 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
While I've reached geezerhood and still like my geezer rock, I think there's still good music being made, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Norah Jones, Grace Potter, are among the 'newer' artists I've been listening to (and enjoying) lately.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
While I've reached geezerhood and still like my geezer rock, I think there's still good music being made, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Norah Jones, Grace Potter, are among the 'newer' artists I've been listening to (and enjoying) lately.
Sure enough. But I suppose to be more specific, can your taste of quality of music (that the majority found just as quality) in the past be used to determine quality of the newer music of today. Is it reasonable to use the "you are simply older and don't get the new generation" excuse?

Old 10-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Sure enough. But I suppose to be more specific, can your taste of quality of music (that the majority found just as quality) in the past be used to determine quality of the newer music of today. Is it reasonable to use the "you are simply older and don't get the new generation" excuse?
I don't think it's really possible to separate your age from your taste, then again I don't know of an objective way to measure the quality of music either. I like what I like and don't like what I don't like. In its heyday I wasn't a fan of disco, these days I've never gotten into hip-hop or rap, I 'm not saying any genre or age of music is better than another, it's a personal thing. i.e. Billie Holiday did some wonderful stuff in the past and Norah Jones is doing some wonderful stuff today. Is there any way of objectively quantifying their relative quality? I don't think there is. I'll just continue to enjoy what I enjoy

Old 10-24-2014, 12:49 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Yeah, most of the older crowd doesn't "get" the music of today's youth for the simple fact that music by it's definition needs certain chord and note structure to even qualify for a noise to be considered melodic. Rhythmic repetitious percussion is a big part of today's music, and while I really don't understand the need to have it blasting from a trembling truck or car I see it as a form of moronity that connotes a "I'm in your face, now what?" kind of attitude that makes me wonder about the origins of this music, the Insane Clowns comes to mind.

On the other hand, there is a bunch of great music coming from the youthful sector of musicians around Portland Oregon and the Seattle area. Good music will always have a component of acceptability for a wider spread of people, and I guess THAT is a good indicator of quality as well as a measure of maturity with regard to music. "Good", as opposed to bad music, will also stand the test of time, will the youth of today want to hear their current fav tunes when they're fifty?

Old 10-24-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Yeah, most of the older crowd doesn't "get" the music of today's youth for the simple fact that music by it's definition needs certain chord and note structure to even qualify for a noise to be considered melodic. Rhythmic repetitious percussion is a big part of today's music, and while I really don't understand the need to have it blasting from a trembling truck or car I see it as a form of moronity that connotes a "I'm in your face, now what?" kind of attitude that makes me wonder about the origins of this music, the Insane Clowns comes to mind.

On the other hand, there is a bunch of great music coming from the youthful sector of musicians around Portland Oregon and the Seattle area. Good music will always have a component of acceptability for a wider spread of people, and I guess THAT is a good indicator of quality as well as a measure of maturity with regard to music. "Good", as opposed to bad music, will also stand the test of time, will the youth of today want to hear their current fav tunes when they're fifty?
Man what a break down. I wish you could have taken the bold part further.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:14 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
What is good music?

Old 10-24-2014, 02:25 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,431,722 times
For me personally I think it has to do with changing taste rather than getting older. I find that I can't tolerate most of pop/R&B that they play on the top 40 stations now whereas that's what I used to listen to a lot. I was in Subway today where there were blasting that stuff over the speakers and I wanted to scream because it was so annoying, repetitive and just boring. My sister is 3 years older than me, but she and her husband always listen to that when I'm with them so I don't think it exclusively has to do with age. Perhaps for some people.

That doesn't mean I don't like today's music. I love indie pop and some electronic.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:01 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Bad music has existed in every decade and good music has existed in every decade. That will never change.

I grew up around the late 90s and early 00s and there was plenty of awful Indie rock during that time but there was also great Indie music as well like The Killers, Modest Mouse, and Franz Ferdinand. Today there is still awful Indie rock but there is also some amazing Indie rock like Arctic Monkeys, Cage The Elephant, and Broken Bells.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
What is good music?
Whatever you enjoy listening to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music