Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:02 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,049,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
Stevie Ray Vaughan (spelled correctly), incredibly underrated guitarist.
(unless you can write and play better than THIS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x70G-NhyUPI
His technicality is great, but so is steve vais and joe satrianis and I don't care for them. Sorry but anyone can "write" better than that, it sounds like cheesy elevator music, his hits on the radio sound like the whitest most sterile interpretation of the blues. If we're talkin blues, I'll take Muddy Waters, B.B King, Brownie Mcghee & Sonny terry, Albert King, Duane Allman, Warren Hanes, Derek Trucks, Freddie King, and Peter Green to name a few way over Vaughan (happy with my spelling). I don't like his voice, I don't like his tone, and I feel like all his stuff is VERY sterile. Maybe it's due to his timing, the 80's were a very sterile time for music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 02:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Well, in 13 pages, this is the only reference to Rush I can find. I highly disagree with you, especially considering that most mainstream radio stations have given them the cold shoulder for the better part of the last 40 years (with the exception of maybe three or four songs), yet they're still rocking with their final world tour this year (and they sell out their shows on a regular basis). Most people either love Rush or hate Rush. I suspect you fall into the latter group. Saddest thing is that most people who have never dug into their extensive catalog of studio albums have missed some of their greatest tunes (you know, the ones that mainstream radio has always been too commercial and pansy assed to play).

I could list a large number of bands that I feel are overrated, but I don't have the time or energy right now. So, I'll just throw out three off the top of my head.....

Nirvana
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rage Against the Machine
based my take on Rush on the extensive amount of air-play they got in my town while growing up and every song sounded the same to me and just didn't do anything for me then, or since.

post something that you woulld include as an integral part of their library (perhaps a deep track) and I'll give it a listen.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:08 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,695,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
His technicality is great, but so is steve vais and joe satrianis and I don't care for them. Sorry but anyone can "write" better than that, it sounds like cheesy elevator music, his hits on the radio sound like the whitest most sterile interpretation of the blues. If we're talkin blues, I'll take Muddy Waters, B.B King, Brownie Mcghee & Sonny terry, Albert King, Duane Allman, Warren Hanes, Derek Trucks, Freddie King, and Peter Green to name a few way over Vaughan (happy with my spelling). I don't like his voice, I don't like his tone, and I feel like all his stuff is VERY sterile. Maybe it's due to his timing, the 80's were a very sterile time for music.

I thought Vaghan was actually an underrated singer. I love his cover of "Life By the Drop".

Old 06-04-2015, 09:30 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,846,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Have you listened to the albums Highway Companion and Wildflowers front to back? If you have and you can still say that fine, but those are 2 of the best albums ever recorded.
I haven't but will give one or both a listen. I've been pleasantly surprised by some music recommendations before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Madonna, Lady Gag, Robin Thicke, Taylor Swift, and a whole host of modern-- and not so modern-- singers I won't/can't call artists.
I wouldn't call them artists either, but in the case of Robin Thicke he's a plagiarizer to boot. His popular song "blurred lines" was a rip off of an old Marvin Gaye song. I knew when I first heard blurred lines it sounded familiar to me, but I couldn't place it. I'm surprised he actually had the audacity to rip off a well known artist like Marvin Gaye. That was a 7+ million dollar mistake on his part.

Jury: Pharrell, Robin Thicke ripped off 'Blurred Lines' from Marvin Gaye | MSNBC

Last edited by MrGompers; 06-04-2015 at 10:38 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 09:54 PM

11,284 posts, read 11,055,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
based my take on Rush on the extensive amount of air-play they got in my town while growing up and every song sounded the same to me and just didn't do anything for me then, or since.

post something that you woulld include as an integral part of their library (perhaps a deep track) and I'll give it a listen.
Define "integral". Per the dictionary, it is a track that "completes" their library. In my opinion, their library of songs is ongoing, as they evolve further with every album they make. Here's two tracks that I consider to be very "deep" (with lyrics).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R2VQxOsBaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTHJv3SAMBY

And, an instrumental, which I'm sure you've heard before, yet gets virtually zero airplay (at least on modern radio). The "deepest" instrumental they have by far (and still played live regularly) Lifeson is an animal on the guitar....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB4uwO1Dmf4

Old 08-24-2015, 09:37 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,338,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
Stevie Ray Vaughan (spelled correctly), incredibly underrated guitarist.
Good god, Rolling Stone's 100 greatest guitarist of all time list him at #12, TWELVE! Above Albert and Freddie King, Les Paul and Carlos Santana! If anything, Vaughan was way over rated. I saw him live in a small clubs and frankly I found him to be a sterile version of Hendrix.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:48 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,357,232 times
Styx
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
(Young made the difference between merely "over-rated" and "one of the worst")
The Bee Gees

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-24-2015 at 10:39 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 04:51 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,408,289 times
So many. To name a few that I've heard:

Justin Timberlake - the song with Michael Jackson ("Love Never Felt So Good") sounds like a Timberlake-downgraded MJ song, that doesn't come close to MJ's high standards. It's a simple-minded song, which sounds like something that was rejected for production sometime during the 70s. "Soul" is something that Timberlake does NOT have in his music.

Elvis Presley
Taylor Swift
Miley Cyrus
Justin Bieber
Katy Perry
Prince
Stacy Lattisaw
Rick James
Rick Ross
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Jay-Z
Mariah Carey
Beyoncé
Kanye West
Drake
Lil Wayne
Britney Spears

Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 PM

675 posts, read 646,261 times
Only one off the top of my head. Bastille. I seem to be the only one that doesn't care for them. Oh, and The Hold Steady.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:51 PM

19,090 posts, read 27,667,472 times
Rolling Stones.
Never learned how to sing.
Never learned how to really play guitars.
Built fortune on strategic marketing and appeal to low taste.
David Bowey. Voiceless son of a rich fabricant promoted by daddy and doing whatever weird crap possible to gain popularity with low taste crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music