Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:52 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,287,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Or Ringo Starr, for that matter? He's 77. He drank and partied pretty heavily, but cleaned up. Paul went vegetarian, but he's 75 and looks it. Who's next? We didn't expect it to be Tom Petty.

Tom was only 66. He was part of the 80's. He'll be missed.

So sad he didn't get to spend the time with his granddaughter he wanted.
I was not expecting Tom Petty at all. I have thought about Mick Jagger, although I saw him in concert two years ago and he was 70-ish then and running all over the stage like a 20 year old. But someone can look completely healthy and be gone without notice.

I guess the thing that I find comforting about Tom Petty's death is that he was living life fully up until the end. He'd just finished a tour, had just done three concerts at the Hollywood Bowl, the last one just two days before he went into cardiac arrest. I only hope I will die suddenly while I am still living a full life rather than trudge toward death as I go through a slow decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 08:02 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,137,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
"Luanne" died back in 2009.

One of my favorite Lucky lines is, "I've decided I want the baby's first smell to be a cinnamon roll". Just so random and funny.
Aw, I never knew Brittany Murphy, voice of Luanne had died from pneumonia at age 32, her hubby died in the same house from the same thing, six months later at age 40. They think it was a mold house, but that seems odd for the Los Angeles area, with no humidity. Guess that would make it harder to bring back King Of The Hill, without Luanne and Lucky. Maybe the show still lives on, in the mind of some manatee writer, floating in a tank full of idea balls, and might be produced once again. We can always hope.

Glad I switched over to vaping back in 2011, those ciggies can kill you, even wealthy rock stars.

Don't wait until the end of the line........

Traveling Wilburys - End Of The Line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA

I always liked this next song, some might think it's stupid but for the record, I am pro Joe Piscopo for his beautiful singing of Ebony & Ivory as Frank Sinatra vs Eddie Murphy as Stevie Wonder on SNL. Also I must disagree about front wheel drive, it is very good for winter driving. This is about the most pumped up song Tom ever made, and the video is hyper 80's. It might have hurt his career for a couple years, I know they did not play it on the radio for very long after it came out. Always thought it was pretty amazing when the late 80's and early 90's came along, how Tom kept putting out quality stuff at such a rate, while many of the other big name 80's bands were getting weaker, Petty remained strong well into the 90's. RUSH was still pretty good too, in the late 80's early 90's.

Jammin' Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCFAzPl1QmE

Old 10-03-2017, 08:18 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,130,140 times
Being from Milwaukee, Tom Petty was a constant presence at Summerfest.
He was a huge favorite and always drew large and appreciative crowds.
He put on a great show and was well respected and loved.
His passing is a terrible loss and R.I.P to a rock legend.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:56 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,210,559 times
That's funny.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:42 PM

939 posts, read 789,800 times
I was never a huge Petty fan either.

I did start liking him more though when I heard him in an early 80's interview mention the possible renaming of his upcoming album:

In early 1981, the upcoming Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers album, which would become Hard Promises, was slated to be the next MCA release with the new list price of $9.98, following Steely Dan's Gaucho and the Olivia Newton-John/Electric Light Orchestra Xanadu soundtrack.

This so-called "superstar pricing" was $1.00 more than the usual list price of $8.98.

Petty voiced his objections to the price hike in the press and the issue became a popular cause among music fans.

Non-delivery of the album and naming it Eight Ninety-Eight
were considered, but eventually MCA decided against the price increase.

RIP Tom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Petty

Old 10-04-2017, 05:12 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,346,369 times
I was stunned by the death of Tom Petty, still am. I love listening to his "Buried Treasure" show on SiriusXM and feel we are kindred spirits in terms of musical taste. I've been a fan of his since I bought "You're Gonna Get It" in '78. Still one of my favorite albums! He had an amazing career with The Heartbreakers, The Wilburies, Mudcrutch and solo. Plus he had a great sense of humor and just seemed a well-adjusted guy (for a rock star, anyway). Bless you, Tom--I'll miss you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlIe...&feature=share

Old 10-04-2017, 06:44 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,179,394 times
Terrible news. Petty was way too young @ 66 to pass. Very sad.

I first became a TP fan in my late teens (the very late '80's), not long after his iconic album Full Moon Fever hit stores. There were a lot of singles from that album, but "Free Fallin'" was probably my favorite. Poignant, moving song - and, though I had never been to CA when I first heard the song, the mention of several land-marks/areas made me really long to visit the area.

Being a fan of this album led me to his previous albums with The Heartbreakers, as well as to the great music videos he came out with in the '80's. "Don't Come 'Round here no more" was an extremely trippy song, and the video - with the bizarre Alice in Wonderland imagery - gave an added dimension to the music. Well-done. Petty really took great advantage of the then-new MTV music video format to produce a lot of innovative, interesting videos. Also liked the ones for "Free Fallin", "Last dance for Mary Jane" (creepy!), "You got Lucky" (liked the post apocalyptic/Mad Max "vibe"), etc.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:41 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,840,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I was not expecting Tom Petty at all. I have thought about Mick Jagger, although I saw him in concert two years ago and he was 70-ish then and running all over the stage like a 20 year old. But someone can look completely healthy and be gone without notice.

I guess the thing that I find comforting about Tom Petty's death is that he was living life fully up until the end. He'd just finished a tour, had just done three concerts at the Hollywood Bowl, the last one just two days before he went into cardiac arrest. I only hope I will die suddenly while I am still living a full life rather than trudge toward death as I go through a slow decline.
I am sure the heroin helped speed things up.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:57 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,541,318 times
I loved this guy. This nearly did me in, & Glen Frey last year. Their music made me happy & got me through the bad times.

My high school boyfriend, who died in January, was the same age as Tom Petty. My sister was the same age when she died. An old friend died one year ago, same age.

RIP to those whose music I loved, & the people I loved.

OMG, I couldn’t even type the words until today. It has been an unspeakable few days lately.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-06-2017 at 02:11 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 1,967 times
We're all gonna miss him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music