Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:06 PM

950 posts, read 692,665 times

Advertisements

From an interview I saw featuring a psychologist, he stated that he had some suicidal clients who listened to melancholy songs. They tell him that listening to melancholy songs helps them to cope with their suicidal feelings. But the way it happened with two of his clients, those songs turned out as the final catalyst that caused their actual deaths by suicide. So nowadays he insists that clients abstain from such songs, otherwise they only serve to amplify the suicidal feelings.

When I reflect on that, I arrived at the conclusion that if I feel despondent that I would abstain from such music because they would only worsen my gloom. It would not help me to cope with my despondency but would instead worsen it. And if I feel happy in the first place, why should I listen to sad music? How do the others among you feel about melancholy songs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 02:13 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
Life is hard (for 80% of us) so sad songs deal with reality and happy songs with escapism, in general.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:01 PM

188 posts, read 203,086 times
I don't think the music I normally listen to (Swing, Rock n' Roll, Motown) really has melancholy songs. I mean, they're not all upbeat, but they're not depressing, and the music makes me happy.

There's a few songs outside of my usual genres that I find gut-wrenching (like Cats in the Cradle or American Pie), and I only listen to them when I randomly think of them. I'm willing to listen to them occasionally because I appreciate how they're so well crafted that they stir strong emotions, but I definitely would not listen to them if I was sad since the emotions they stir are horrible.

I can see how sad music might help some people cope while pushing others over the edge. It can be cathartic or feel good to relate to someone else with the same emotions (the song writer or song's protagonist), but if you're stuck in a cycle of negativity it could just reinforce your negative emotions.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:50 AM

50 posts, read 26,501 times
Sad songs can bring us in touch with our feelings. It's a hectic fast world. It's not socially acceptable to show certain emotions. Often things get so pushed down inside that we don't even feel our emotions any more. I find the older I get the less I feel things, being overly analytical. Like someone raises their voice and is rude and I rationalize it away. Mostly they are angry at their lives and I'm a good sounding board. I find my dreams try to make analogies for me and when I wake I'm astounded at how much I let slip, how much I allow others to discharge their frustrations on me. As the matriarch of the family, I think it's my role to soften everyone's load. I hear a sad song and it's often the only way I can grieve and self heal.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:12 PM

651 posts, read 416,335 times
Default We hear in music that we want to hear

The musicians like to repeat a proverb:
Blues sounds when a good man feels bad, and pop music sounds when a bad man feels good.

There are many good sad songs in different styles.

But I know many guitar songs or folk songs with simple accompaniment. As a rule these songs have simple lyrics easy to understand. Many people like these songs and don't like pop music. But I almost feel depression as I hear them. They cause me sadness.

Theater and circus also disturb my quiet and I don't like to go there.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_deal_maker View Post
The musicians like to repeat a proverb:
Blues sounds when a good man feels bad, and pop music sounds when a bad man feels good.

There are many good sad songs in different styles.

But I know many guitar songs or folk songs with simple accompaniment. As a rule these songs have simple lyrics easy to understand. Many people like these songs and don't like pop music. But I almost feel depression as I hear them. They cause me sadness.

Theater and circus also disturb my quiet and I don't like to go there.
Very odd that you would mention a Circus as disturbing you. In my case, the Circus always delights me. And its calliope music.

Why on Earth would a Circus disturb you?

Old 05-27-2018, 06:27 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Quote:
Sad Songs causing actual Suicides
That doesn't happen.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:53 AM

After just hearing of the appalling suicide of renowned celebrity Anthony Bourdain, it puts further emphasis on why we should stay away from melancholy songs.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:17 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
Kurt Cobain's I Hate Myself And I Want To Die.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
I probably will kill myself if I hear "Sometimes when we touch, the honesty's too much...." one more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music