Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 07:12 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

Check this out. They touch on music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4anaU6rdU1Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 04:39 PM

Something I've heard about creativity is that some people's creativity can become stimulated when doing some type of physical work. I've noticed how my mind works when I'm doing something like mowing the lawn or taking a long walk. It's like doing something physical loosens up your mind some.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:15 PM

Here's something interesting on blues musician Robert Johnson. What they seem to be suggesting here is the possibility that Johnson had something physical happen to him such as an head injury and this may have enhanced his music ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXxcRqf3YSY

Old 12-21-2018, 12:43 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Here's something interesting on blues musician Robert Johnson. What they seem to be suggesting here is the possibility that Johnson had something physical happen to him such as an head injury and this may have enhanced his music ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXxcRqf3YSY
It's less incredible than taking his guitar to the crossroads at midnight and having it tuned by a large black man, who was "The Devil".

Sadly Johnson's biography is very unclear, two birth certificates, missing in census data by his mother, learning guitar technique seemingly overnight.

It's speculation, since his gravesite isn't even known, you can't do a necroscopy to maybe find out.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:44 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Anecdotally, the most artistic people I've known were all mentally ill. History seems to show the connection between creativity and mental illness. incredibly unique artists are interesting to us mere mortals, which may be a reason why mental illness has continued in the gene pool. these genetically different people have given us our music and other arts.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-22-2018 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 05:14 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Something I've heard about creativity is that some people's creativity can become stimulated when doing some type of physical work. I've noticed how my mind works when I'm doing something like mowing the lawn or taking a long walk. It's like doing something physical loosens up your mind some.
Is it the fact that you're doing something physical, though, or the fact that your body is busy and your mind is bored and looking for something to do?

When my job used to involve a lot of filing, I was quite creative during those times, coming up with ideas for stories or music, or thinking about science and religion. Because my brain was bored to pieces, and thinking was the only thing I could do to divert it (since it's not like I could simultaneously read a book or watch TV). So I thought a lot.

I imagine I would be the same way if stuck in line, on a plane, whatever without anything to read or watch.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:29 PM

^

This talks about how exercise can affect creativity.

Quote:
Earlier this year, neuroscientist Wendy Suzuki, author of "Healthy Brain, Happy Life," wrote in Quartz that in addition to its stress-reducing, mind-focusing, productivity-inducing, and memory-enhancing properties, there seems to be some evidence supporting the idea that exercise could help make us more creative. Exercise seems to help people come up with new ideas, which many researchers use as a proxy for thinking creatively.

https://www.businessinsider.com/exer...stress-2016-11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music