Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 09:40 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times

Advertisements

Best Guitar Player You've Never Heard Of: Mato Nanji of Indigenous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJnF2la_XMY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 07:14 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Overrated?

Kirk Hammett. I hate his tone, very shrill and out-of balance. Mostly an average player in a huge band. What he does play he plays well, but he's never done anything amazing. Maybe it works for Metallica to have a subdued lead player to keep focus in the great riffs and songs.

Underrated?

Ted Nugent.

Known for his off-the-wall and over-the-top personality, but his playing is highly underrated. Great phrasing, his lines flow seamlessly. Thick creamy tone, very well balanced. Very melodic, even as a 16 year old in the Amboy Dukes. One of the best at building long solos with perfect pacing. Has a powerful sound, like SRV he's solid on the beat and never dragging/flubbing his execution. Nails everything he goes for with powerful precision.

I freakin' love the dude.

Last edited by tommy64; 03-30-2019 at 08:12 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 07:34 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuba View Post
IMO Hendrix opened, wrote, and closed the book on rock guitar. He did stuff 50 years ago that we are just now figuring out. That Jimmy Page fella wasn't too bad either. I don't see much innovation in rock guitar playing since these two men were in their prime.

My choice for

Overrated: Mark Knophler

Underrated: Richard Thompson

Paul McCartney tells a story, its on YouTube, About when Hendrix embarrassed Clapton. Remember back then for a while, Clapton was considered god when it came to playing. Hendrix was at a gig playing and he knew Clapton was in the audience. His guitar was out of tune, and said, is Eric out there, wonder if he would come up and tune my guitar. That took balls to do that, and you have to know your talent to even say things like that.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:03 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Best Guitar Player You've Never Heard Of: Mato Nanji of Indigenous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJnF2la_XMY
I like those guys! I heard them through Pandora and I like the more dark, fuzzy sound of Mato's guitar. They break a lot of the stereotypes of what a blues band should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Overrated?

Kirk Hammett. I hate his tone, very shrill and out-of balance. Mostly an average player in a huge band. What he does play he plays well, but he's never done anything amazing. Maybe it works for Metallica to have a subdued lead player to keep focus in the great riffs and songs.

Underrated?

Ted Nugent.

Known for his off-the-wall and over-the-top personality, but his playing is highly underrated. Great phrasing, his lines flow seamlessly. Thick creamy tone, very well balanced. Very melodic, even as a 16 year old in the Amboy Dukes. One of the best at building long solos with perfect pacing. Has a powerful sound, like SRV he's solid on the beat and never dragging/flubbing his execution. Nails everything he goes for with powerful precision.

I freakin' love the dude.
Agree here. It's like Metallica songs needed a solo, so this guy stepped in.

Nugent goes all over the board with sound and knows how to phrase a song well. He seems like a D-bag in real life and his lyrics are kinda lame, but the guitar playings good.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:42 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Among the very best should include Gary Moore.
Hyped? Where to begin? Too many to count.

YouTube search Gary Moore playing Hendrix. Get a good set of headphones and hold on to your boot straps.

So many great rock guitarists.

There are some incredible guitarists in the virtuoso/jazz genre. I’m thinking Pat Matheny, Al Di Meola, Steve Vai (not sure what genre Steve is in?), and Stanley Jordan, among others. If you get a chance to see these musicians in a local club it is an amazing experience.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:53 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Overrated…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blNQZc84Q5c

Underrated....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM8Q5vQm1Pc

Old 08-31-2019, 10:43 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
[quote=Phil P;54705507]1. Jimi Hendrix. He was innovative for sure, but he couldn't sing well, his tone quality is mediocre (grant it he played a while ago) and the lyrics are uninspiring about drug trips or love.

He NEVER could gave sustained that style for much longer. All the gimmicks and synthesizing, like a singer today without Autotune. Music changes so quickly.

PC is the reason he gets so many props.

And I have listened to rock music a lot.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:49 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
I like Stevie Ray Vaughan a lot. I wouldn't call him quite over hyped though, but hyped to a degree yes. I'd take Steve Vai over him.

I love Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin - grew up with their music (I'm 59). They are my 2nd favorite band of all time (Opeth #1). Page has a storied history and deservingly is considered a great. I would take Joe Satriani over Page. Satriani is just so clean a player.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:55 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
This is a tough one for me. As a guitar player, I totally understand when someone is extremely talented as an artist, but at the same time, I may not like any of their music. Most of who I list below are FANTASTIC musicians, but because I dont really "feel" their music, I listen to them and just think "Meh. Sure they can play amazing things technically, but I just dont feel their music". With that being said, my overhyped guitar players are......

Overhyped:

Clapton
Santana
Duane Allman
Gary Moore

Old 09-01-2019, 07:31 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
1. Jimi Hendrix. He was innovative for sure, but he couldn't sing well, his tone quality is mediocre (grant it he played a while ago) and the lyrics are uninspiring about drug trips or love.
1) Singing and lyric-writing has precisely nothing to do with being a guitarist. It's like saying the Freddy Mercury wasn't a good singer because his guitar abilities were pedestrian, or that John Bonham was a lousy drummer because he didn't write lyrics. One has nothing to do with the other.

2) 'uninspiring'? Why does someone else's ability level rest on whether or not the results 'inspire' you?

This thread seems to be little more than "I don't like these guitarists as much as some other people do!", which is fine - but you try and categorize them as 'overhyped' and make it about something more than your purely objective preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music