Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times

Advertisements

I have been disappointed with just about all "music" since the 80's. The lack of talent, creativity and innovation is incredible. Without exception, it seems that everything I liked was from the past. An example, I have seen this ATT slide phone with some music about flowers. While initially thinking it was new, I discovered it was a remake of something from 1968. I do not even own a music CD, just records, and tapes. Perhaps there are indepentant artists out there, but the popular stuff is just boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 11:05 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,634 times
I think the advent of the drum machine and dance music really took a lot of the soul out of music. Melody is no longer as appreciated as it was. The dance beat is king. And rap but it is not renowned for its melodies either.

It is no coincidence that artists such as the Eagles and Jimmy Buffet are finding fans and airtime among the country crowd nowadays. I find myself listening to a lot of country music lately because the songwriting is so much better than other current music.

There is still plenty of good music being made but it is not as mainstream as it was in the 80s. I have also found that a great album (Dishwalla's Opaline and Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American come to mind) doesn't necessarily mean that I will like other albums by the same group.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:05 AM

323 posts, read 829,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
...the popular stuff is just boring.
What is interesting is that I hear many people express this same opinion, but the boring stuff is still "popular." I wonder what the driving force is that makes this paradox.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:35 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin9150 View Post
What is interesting is that I hear many people express this same opinion, but the boring stuff is still "popular." I wonder what the driving force is that makes this paradox.
The herd mentality in the most basic form, or lemmings if you prefer. From a twenty year radio vet's point of view, the public has nothing to do with determining the end popularity of a song/product. The end result comes from the upfront work done by the companies.

Let's use an example, the Beatles. They first released records here in the U.S. in 1963 on a couple of small labels which had limited push in the market. A few brave dj's actually liked the tunes and tried to push them in their markets without benefit of major ad campaigns or big payola. There was some response but no national action from the major markets. Stone cold dead in the water the Beatles were. Vee Jay records even went so far as to delay the issue of the first album in 1963.

Then EMI England gets Capitol Records to finally pick them up. Massive amounts of money were spent, endless favors were called in from all corners, print, tv, radio. You know the rest, all heck breaks loose. The same tunes that were issued a year before became multi-million sellers.

No expense was spared to get the masses to believe their lives would be completely empty if they didn't join in. The herd mentality.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:41 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
I think the advent of the drum machine and dance music really took a lot of the soul out of music.
Agreed, computers and affordable home studios took that intangible ingredient out of music. It isn't something you notice on the surface. But it is something you sense isn't there, an emotional.....feel....that the heart can connect to. Even singers today have that cold sound thanks to the computer being able to correct every flaw in their vocal track.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:36 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
I am an amateur musician, and I use my laptop to record all of my music. The difference is that I write and perform all of my stuff. This does exclude the drums, which I create off of software, but even then I create the measures, the beats, and the placing of each individual kit piece. I would love to learn to play drums eventually, but I live in a condo, so that's not possible at the moment.

I agree about the lack of originality in todays music scene. Computers and the internet have made it real easy for someone to sound like they know what they're doing, when they really don't. The techno/dance/rap thing.......I never understood it, and probably never will.

Personally, I'd be ashamed to show my face knowing I ripped off someone else's song or even just a melody, yet those doing it strut around like they're effing Beethoven or someone...........I'm not saying my music doesn't reflect my influences, but there's a big, BIG difference!

I encourage all people - young and old - to turn off the computer, put down the "guitar hero" video games, go out and learn a real instrument, and then use their minds to CREATE rather than DUPLICATE. There is no better feeling of accomplishment than writing an original song, IMO.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:52 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
There is talent in EVERY genre of music. The thing is, once a genre becomes a part of pop culture, it becomes a business that is all about sex appeal and money. Looking for good songs on BET or MTV will leave you disappointed. You must look at independent artists and underground artists.

And dance and rap music are not to blame for the way music is today. There are good dance artists and good rap artists. It's just the untalented ones who get all the popularity. Have you guys ever heard of The Roots? It's a hip-hop band. An actual band. I'm sure most people have heard of Dr Dre. All of his beats are made using live instrumentation.

Don't blame a genre. Blame the record labels who make it about everything but the music.

By the way, Radiohead is still at it and they're really good.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
I enjoy some of the Roots' stuff.
And the new Radiohead album, as well.
I agree that indie stuff can be found, and it's not even all that difficult a search.
I think one reason so much of popular music is, well, popular, is because a lot of people don't care to be too challenged by the unknown.
Every time my husband and I drive somewhere together, I am stuck listening to his oldies stations, because that's what he likes: the old, familiar stuff. Sometimes, when I am listening to Hotel California or Free Bird for the third time in a month, I just want to scream. But that's what some people want, and the radio stations give it to them because it sells ads.
I agree that drum-and-bass may bear some responsibility for the dumbing down of pop, but I do like a lot of electro/pop/dance music: The Rapture, Hot Chip, LCD Soundsystem etc.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:22 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
There is talent in EVERY genre of music. The thing is, once a genre becomes a part of pop culture, it becomes a business that is all about sex appeal and money. Looking for good songs on BET or MTV will leave you disappointed. You must look at independent artists and underground artists.

And dance and rap music are not to blame for the way music is today. There are good dance artists and good rap artists. It's just the untalented ones who get all the popularity. Have you guys ever heard of The Roots? It's a hip-hop band. An actual band. I'm sure most people have heard of Dr Dre. All of his beats are made using live instrumentation.

Don't blame a genre. Blame the record labels who make it about everything but the music.

By the way, Radiohead is still at it and they're really good.
No kidding - Radiohead is really good. I am very impressed with 'In Rainbows'.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:36 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin9150 View Post
The sheeple don't like to be offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I agree that drum-and-bass may bear some responsibility for the dumbing down of pop, but I do like a lot of electro/pop/dance music: The Rapture, Hot Chip, LCD Soundsystem etc.
Three good examples. There is plenty of real hip hop out there too (even mainstream artists like Common and The Roots like bluewillowplate mentioned). Remember, not all rock is Nickelback! It works that way with every genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post

Although I agree with everything said, the last sentence is the essence of what's wrong with music today. I have found good and bad in every genre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music