Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 07:32 PM

611 posts, read 774,504 times

Advertisements

[quote=Thomas R.;15378705]Musicians who won the Spellemannprisen for folk music and folk groups that won the prize. (Don't know if all these songs are folk, but some are a tad pretty)

These are all very nice, TR. I've never heard them before.
Thanks! I have learned something new today.
~Willow~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestWillow View Post

These are all very nice, TR. I've never heard them before.
The weird thing is I hadn't either. I know we have a Swede on the board so as a bit of a josh I looked up the main Norwegian music award then checked its listing for folk singers. (Although I don't know that Swedes and Norwegians have any kind of rivalry or anything, so possibly it just works as "more from Scandinavia") It was kind of a gamble as it could have all been terrible, but most countries I think have at least some good folk music. Also I did check several names before deciding.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The weird thing is I hadn't either. I know we have a Swede on the board so as a bit of a josh I looked up the main Norwegian music award then checked its listing for folk singers. (Although I don't know that Swedes and Norwegians have any kind of rivalry or anything, so possibly it just works as "more from Scandinavia") It was kind of a gamble as it could have all been terrible, but most countries I think have at least some good folk music. Also I did check several names before deciding.
Well, TR, all I could tell you about them is that they sounded really nice.
Yes, we have BigSwede here and he's a totally nice person but we haven't done much visiting.
Maybe he could tell us a bit more, if he knows.
I have friends in Esbjerg, Denmark but that's certainly NOT Sweden!
~Willow~

Last edited by WestWillow; 08-07-2010 at 10:49 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,926,990 times
An old sea shanty.

YouTube - ‪PAUL CLAYTON "THE MAID OF AMSTERDAM" 1954‬‎

The Wenche

Old 08-08-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestWillow View Post
Well, TR, all I could tell you about them is that they sounded really nice.
Yes, we have BigSwede here and he's a totally nice person but we haven't done much visiting.
Maybe he could tell us a bit more, if he knows.
I have friends in Esbjerg, Denmark but that's certainly NOT Sweden!
~Willow~
I liked the Kirsten one enough I might listen to more by her, but I have so much music I probably won't buy anything.

Anyway some more European folk music.

YouTube - ‪Tetris Korobeiniki - Trio Moscow Nights Russian Folk song‬‎ - Known in Tetris, but it is a Russian folk and it looks to be played by folk instruments here.

YouTube - ‪Maria Kalaniemi "Skymningspolskan"‬‎ - Finnish classic/folk accordionist.

YouTube - ‪Trebunie Tutki - Pod Tatrami...‬‎ - Polish folk, I think.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:31 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,552,163 times
Default Folk Music

Thank you for the input on folk music a subject you hardly hear spoken of. I also remember the songs from Guthrie, Seeger, Baez, Turner, The Dublineist, Peter, Paul & Mary, Jethro Tull etc. We just had a Folk Fest, which people travel from all over the country to attend each summer at the end of July for 3 days. What a awesome time. Lots of bluegrass music and Folk Music, along with ethnic dancing, and all the ethnic food you can eat. Games and much more for children. Please join the fun, it's held in Lowell, MA every July and is advertised, watch for it, it will be well worth the trip.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I liked the Kirsten one enough I might listen to more by her, but I have so much music I probably won't buy anything.
Correction I just ordered a CD by her. What the hey one thing I'd ordered a month ago wasn't coming so I canceled it.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Correction I just ordered a CD by her. What the hey one thing I'd ordered a month ago wasn't coming so I canceled it.
Hey, TR, I've heard "Trio Russian Nights" before and they do some good Russian folk music.
I also love to hear nice Russian balalaika music. YouTube had one I liked but I'm too busy to hunt for it today. Some of the others on YouTube aren't that great.
Ukranian Cosack folk dancers are really fun to watch. They used to come over to Fairbanks, Alaska and preform when I lived there. They were amazing!
Also, Russian poetry. IMO, nobody can write poetry like a Russian!
~ Willow ~

Last edited by WestWillow; 08-08-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,926,990 times

YouTube - ‪The Rising of the Moon - Irish folk song‬‎

Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 PM

YouTube - ‪Celtic Woman - A New Journey - Carrickfergus‬‎

YouTube - ‪Arthur McBride - Planxty‬‎

YouTube - ‪Odetta, "She Moved Through the Fair" from One Grain of Sand (1963)‬‎ - I thought of just doing versions of this song and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music