Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:00 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar311 View Post
What about current folk artists? Any good ones out there that need a mention?
If you like your folk with a Celtic feel, this is the place..Lots of new artists to be found as well as the old stagers..

http://www.folkradio.co.uk/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 05:05 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Seastar311! Although she has been putting out cd's for close to 20 years, Loreena McKennitt, IMHO is one of the top talents in todays folk music scene, although many describe her as celtic and new age. I describe her as folk and has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. A Canadian lady, she has 7 releases I know of. The ones I have is A Winter Garden, Parallel Dreams, Book Of Secrets, The Visit, and Mask And Mirror. My favorite of hers is The Visit, from '93 I believe. She does some nice old folk standards like "Bonnie Portmore" and "Greensleeves". Her best song is "The Lady Of Chalott". I definitely recommend her!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 PM

Fairport Convention was Great Britain's answer to the American Folk Rock movement of the mid 60's and are one of the great folk groups going now. There are so many artists that have spinned off this group that I lost track years ago but here is some: Ian Mathews, Mathew's Southern Comfort, David Swarbrick, Richard Thompson, Sandy Denny, Fotheringay, David Pegg, Allen Taylor, and several more. Started by Mathews, Thompson, and Denny, they had an incredible run of product for close to two decades on A&M, Island, and several smaller labels in the States. The stuff I'm not familiar with that was released in the U.K. is on the Woodworm label, and I know that was all short press run. The big talent, Sandy Denny, I'll comment on later. Lincolnshire, what can you add on them? I only saw them once. How is their cd output in your area? Was the Woodworm re-released on cd also? What can you tell us?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:08 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times
"" Fairport did for Real Ale what The Grateful Dead did for LSD""..Love that quote. Sums them up to a tee I reckon..

This I have HH. Not too difficult to get hold of and is a pretty good taster of things from that period. Tracks from,,GLADYS' LEAP, EXPLETIVE DELIGHTED, RED & GOLD and THE FIVE SEASONS , along with a few from some of the solo efforts..All the Fairport releases from the Woodworm era are also easy to find on CD..
I may have posted link for official site before, but it`s always worth a look..
Fairport Convention's official website

More later mate...

Old 09-04-2008, 05:18 PM

Love that picture Linc! Looks like me getting up in the morning-EVERY morning! (except the violin)

Old 09-06-2008, 06:33 PM

When I bought Led Zeppelin 4, I played my 8-track over and over and over again (went through 3 of them). The one track that always intrigued me was "The Battle Of Evermore." I heard a background vocal that I knew was not the band. Years later I found out it was Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention. Cool!, I thought. She was the big talent of the band, IMHO. Before being involved with the band, she was involved with the Kensington Art School and she had some pretty good company; Eric Clapton, John Renbourn (of Pentangle), and Jimmy Page. Besides her involvement with Fairport Convention and Fatheringay, she put out some excellent albums on the Island label in the early 70's. Sadly, she died due to a tragic home accident, falling from a flight of stairs, in 1978, only months after cutting the album Rendezvous. She was a huge talent.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:53 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
When I bought Led Zeppelin 4, I played my 8-track over and over and over again (went through 3 of them). The one track that always intrigued me was "The Battle Of Evermore." I heard a background vocal that I knew was not the band. Years later I found out it was Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention. Cool!, I thought. She was the big talent of the band, IMHO. Before being involved with the band, she was involved with the Kensington Art School and she had some pretty good company; Eric Clapton, John Renbourn (of Pentangle), and Jimmy Page. Besides her involvement with Fairport Convention and Fatheringay, she put out some excellent albums on the Island label in the early 70's. Sadly, she died due to a tragic home accident, falling from a flight of stairs, in 1978, only months after cutting the album Rendezvous. She was a huge talent.
I love that song ''The battle of Evermore'' and really cool to find out who that background singer was as i always thought it was Robert Plant high pitching his voice on that in the studio set. Sad to know about her accident.

Thanks again for that info Double H and i'd give ya reps but i've given out too many in the last 24 hours. Infact i'm gonna listen too it right now...lol...

Old 09-07-2008, 06:37 AM

607 posts, read 1,334,364 times
That's my favorite Zep song too! Thanks for the backround on Sandy Denny...she certainly had a lovely, distinct voice.

Question: where should someone new to Nanci Griffith start? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 AM

Nanci is another one of the top folk artists of todays scene. As a 14 year old girl, she started playing guitar and singing in clubs. She went to school at the University of Texas in Austin. After graduating she taught school for a couple years. Taught at the kindergarten level. According to my discography books, her first record was a 45 on the b.f. deal label (no need to explain what THAT means!) Her first lp's were on the Philo label, a label specializing in folk, blue grass, etc. She switched over to MCA where she put out a couple lp's. She thought so much about her version of the the julie Gold classic song "From A Distance "that she wanted it released as a 45. MCA refused (BIG mistake). She joined up with Electra Records and put out an lp of folk standards she always liked by folk artists she always looked up to, such as Woody Guthrie, Caroline Hester, Emmy Lou Harris, John Prine, and many others. That lp, Other Voices, Other Rooms won a Grammy and her career took off from there. She has had some health issues, but has whipped them. Treated for breast cancer in '98-whipped it, fortunately caught it early. Also has taken a shot at writing, released a novel called Two Of A Kind Heart. My favorite song of hers is the classic "Love At The Five And Dime', the album cover has her in a dress standing in front of a Woolworths store. One of my favorite covers and the lp is one of my favorites of hers.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,626,454 times
Saw Guthries Granddaughter a couple of years back with a cool Folk concert they gave with some others like Ellis Paul and Eliza Gilkyson and more. Enjoyed it!
(Here is An Ellis clip from Youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ6tN...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music