Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: was Nirvana overrated?
yes:they were a okay, but they sure were overrated 20 28.17%
YES: THEY WERE AWFUL AND WERE OVERRATED 13 18.31%
no:they got the recognition they deserved 19 26.76%
NO: They were one of the greatest bands in recent history 19 26.76%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:31 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Nirvana came in and smashed the LA hairbands into submission, similar to what Sex Pistols and the Clash did to the disco era.
I have to disagree.

The Hairbands were fading out before Nirvana came onto the scene in the early 90's. Look at groups like Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Cinderella and Poison already had faded before Nirvana.

Also some 80's groups still thrived in the early-mid 90's like Metallica, Slayer, Queensryche, and Iron Maiden as some examples that Nirvana didn't knock out.

Although i didn't care for Nirvana i do understand the significant change they brought about in the early 90's although i do like a couple of those groups like the Stone Temple Pilots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 08:19 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
I say yes, they were ok and had some decent stuff, but overall they were overrated.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:38 PM

396 posts, read 1,276,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Nirvana came in and smashed the LA hairbands into submission, similar to what Sex Pistols and the Clash did to the disco era. They were sorely needed at the time.
Uh...The Clash and the Sex Pistols came in before disco even peaked.

Nirvana was definitely overrated some, but I still think they're a good band. First emo band ever? Wow, can you say total misinterpretation? No, they weren't lyrical geniuses, but they were by no means the first emo band ever, nor were they emo at all. Rites of Spring was the first emo band, a good 5 years or so earlier. Calling Nirvana emo just shows musical ignorance and is a great example of how abused of a term emo has become.

I think they made some good songs for sure and who knows what they would've done had Kurt not pulled the trigger. They had the dark, grungy sound down pretty well. They're fairly talented songwriters with a great drummer to boot. The music industry needed Cobain. Cobain just didn't want the music industry...

And come on. Compared to what I grew up with, is Nirvana so bad? When I was in high school (I graduated earlier this year), the big bands were Nickelback, My Chemical Romance, Insance Clown Posse, and Avenged Sevenfold. Luckily there's also a good deal of Tool, Nine Inch Nails, and System of a Down fans too.

Anyway...point is, it could've been worse. You could've grown up in my age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Also some 80's groups still thrived in the early-mid 90's like Metallica, Slayer, Queensryche, and Iron Maiden as some examples that Nirvana didn't knock out.
Those aren't crappy hairbands...hell, Iron Maiden and Metallica (yes, their legitimate 80s stuff) are still raising entire generations of metalheads despite having lost their relevance long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
uhhhh....and Depeche Mode, and the Cure don't talk about drugs and depression in their music?? Give me a break, just listen to "Playing The Angel" One of the most depressing albums I've ever heard in my life.
You think Playing the Angel is depressing? It's probably their most upbeat album since Violator or even Black Celebration...

Old 09-20-2008, 09:51 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
uhhhh....and Depeche Mode, and the Cure don't talk about drugs and depression in their music?? Give me a break, just listen to "Playing The Angel" One of the most depressing albums I've ever heard in my life.
I was not saying that the fact that Nirvana had some depressing songs was a bad thing, it's just that depressing songs were ALL THEY EVER MADE. Depeche Mode had "Enjoy the Silence" and The Cure had "Just Like Heaven" and Nirvana had..."Rape Me"?

See what mean.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:00 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I was not saying that the fact that Nirvana had some depressing songs was a bad thing, it's just that depressing songs were ALL THEY EVER MADE. Depeche Mode had "Enjoy the Silence" and The Cure had "Just Like Heaven" and Nirvana had..."Rape Me"?

See what mean.
Well, the lyricist did kill himself... so it's not a shock that his words were depressing. I grew up in the late 80s-early 90s, and Nirvana was & still is one of my favorite bands. I don't have to explain why, they just reached me - as they did for millions of other fans.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Great band. Extremely influential band. And they deserve a Nobel Peace Prize for killing hair metal.

But best band ever? No. Not by a long shot. Best band of the '90s? I don't know about best. But definitely Top 10.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:43 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
The Hairbands were fading out before Nirvana came onto the scene in the early 90's. Look at groups like Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Cinderella and Poison already had faded before Nirvana.
Hairbands were fading by the early '90s. I think Guns n' Roses did the hairbands a serious injury.

But no doubt. Nirvana's Nevermind was the silver bullet that killed hair metal forever. For that act alone, they deserve our eternal thanks.

Quote:
Well, to be fair, I wouldn't consider any of those groups hair bands. Metal? Yeah. Definitely. But heavy metal and hair metal were two different (albeit related) things.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:49 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Hairbands were fading by the early '90s. I think Guns n' Roses did the hairbands a serious injury.

But no doubt. Nirvana's Nevermind was the silver bullet that killed hair metal forever.
And yet they've been touring cities to large crowds since the mid to late 90's along with shows like Ozzfest being HUGE as Ozzy is one of the early quenessential founders of Glam Metal starting with Blizzard of Oz in 1980. (If you don't count KISS from the 70's).

As for killing Hair Band forever as you stated LOL........ i guess you might want to tell these 19 and 20 somethings about that as it's growing again in groups like .....

Vains of Jenna
Lordi
Wig Wam
Jack Viper

as a small example of them.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 09-21-2008 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Changes 6/3

Old 09-21-2008, 09:52 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And they deserve a Nobel Peace Prize for killing hair metal.

LOL! I hated "hair metal" too. Nirvana was a good band and I like a lot of their music. Kurt was a bit whacky though as we all know. Too bad.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:18 AM

18,023 posts, read 27,468,060 times
I said, No, one of the greatest bands in recent history.

And unfortunately, that's not saying much.

What has recent history produced? Ahhh, nobody? Well, actually... Foo Fighters. That's it. Everybody else sux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music