Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:36 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,984,978 times

Advertisements

You guys ALL have great taste in music!! I LOVE every one of the groups mentioned in the previous posts on this thread, in addition, of course, to JD!

While I'll proudly admit my love for JD now, in the 1980s when I was in my 20s, it was a little harder for me to admit. I took cassette tapes of John Denver to Africa during my Peace Corps days and I got all the villagers in my village into him . They knew about Michael Jackson, Marvin Gay and Lionel Richie already, but after I left, they also knew John Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 05:49 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,760,064 times
I was just listening to John Denver on my iPod yesterday while doing some house-cleaning. I still love Country Roads and Calypso.
I found it interesting to learn that he was not invited to that "We are the world" event in 1985 to raise money for famine relief in Ethiopia - yet he worked to raise money to fight hunger for years before that event. Maybe he wasn't "cool" enough for them...?
john denver: philanthropy (http://www.johndenver.com/philanthropy/phil.html - broken link)

Poor guy did die too soon. So sad.

Great topic bjh!

Old 09-20-2008, 05:59 PM

215 posts, read 668,315 times
Count me in as a John Denver fan. Was listening to him all through high school when my friends would tease me for it but I didn't care. Poem, Prayers and Promises is one of my favorites. I still play his stuff alot. It was a very sad day when he died but I can take comfort in the fact that he was doing what he loved the most.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:05 PM

18,228 posts, read 25,885,077 times
Adream! Good point on "We Are The World" benefit. He had done charity work for years but never got any recognition for it. Up until his death he actively got involved with the Arbor Day foundation. Poems, Prayers, and Promises was his breakout album with "Country Roads" the top 10 hit from July of '71, but he put out some nice lp's before that. Rhymes and Reasons, Take Me To Tomorrow, and Aerie are excellent lp's. Before he went solo, he took Chad Mitchell's place in the Chad Mitchell trio after Mitchell himself left the group. Four recordings on the Mercury label and one on Reprise. Those lp's are quite collectible with vintage vinyl collectors. bjh! Thanks for starting the thread!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:11 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,110 posts, read 30,428,674 times
Poems, Prayers and Promises along with Rhymes and Reasons have got to be 2 of my all time favorite songs!

When I was a kid an evening with John Denver was the best album. A double album back in the vinyl days. When I got it on cd it was on 2 discs there too. Lots of good stuff.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:21 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,627,526 times
Raising my hand here too. I love a variety of music...I am not embarrassed, as he has some great music!
I have to say one of the latest cd's to come out was John Denver-The Harbor Lights concert. If you don't have it, get it! I even visited Windstar a few years ago, a beautiful place. I can see why he loved it there, and in Colorado.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,023,341 times
I met John Denver waaaaay back, before he was anyone famous, when he was singing at a coffee house in Orange County, CA. He was funny, sweet, friendly...kind of a nerd but absolutely charming with a smile and a laugh that could melt solid steel. I followed his career and his music got me through some very, very tough times. He was original...an icon or sorts...and the words and music he wrote will forever go down in musical history. I don't think I can name a favorite Denver song, though...maybe Fly Away, because it so pertained to my life in the 70's. I have seven scrap books filled with Denver memorabilia following his entire career, complete with guitar strings I picked up at concerts and photos...maybe one day it will have value, but right now it represents a life that touched mine through music.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:48 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,647,507 times
He was a great artist. Have many of his CDs/cassettes. A little known, but favorite lyrics of mine is Potter's Wheel:

Song Lyrics - Potter's Wheel - The World Family of John Denver - Albums - Songs - Lyrics - Movies - Editorials - Photos . (http://www.john-denver.org/Default.asp?id=127 - broken link)

Old 09-22-2008, 07:59 PM

265 posts, read 814,587 times
Way back when, I went to a John Denver concert while on a blind date. My date was a dud, but the concert was pretty good. Especially at the end, when he performed some sort of anti war song.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,850 times
Rocky Mountain High was in my mind tonight as I looked into the LA sky. Don't ask me why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music