Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 03:19 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times

Advertisements

Plannine! That was a great site you suggested! Yes, without a doubt there is a connection with folk and there are a fair amount of albums out there by 60's people that got into it. Dino Valenti of Quicksilver Messenger Service put out an lp like that in 1967 on the Epic label QMS as a group released their first lp a year later. Another is John Kay of Steppenwolf, releasing a couple folk/blues type lps on Dunhill: Forgotten Songs and Unsung Heroes and My Sporting Life, pressed in the early 70's. There are LOTS of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Hi guys - just reading....great thread!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:18 PM

158 posts, read 515,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
... Sunshine Superman by Donovan and Over, Under, Sideways, Down by The Yardbirds also strike me as early acid rock tunes (circa 1966)...
MplsTodd, thank you for letting me know about Donovan and the Yardbirds and their place in the evolution of acid rock.

Donovan - Sunshine Superman (1966) (audio)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9T7s33RHtQ

The Yardbirds - Over Under Sideways Down (1966)

YouTube - Over Under Sideways Down - Yardbirds (Page)

Old 02-05-2009, 04:06 PM

Along the lines of psychedelic folk there are a couple groups I would recommend.

The Incredible String Band were a Scottish folk band out of Glasgow formed by Robin Williamson. They landed a contract with Elektra Records in the mid 60's and cranked out over a dozen lp's for them. A cool story on them; Joe Boyd of Elektra saw their potential and arranged to do an Elektra Folk concert, if you will, with established Elektra folk artists Tom Paxton and Judy Collins. They sung their material and other material by other established Elektra Folk artists. Their 2nd lp, 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion" was about to come out and the concert really boosted their popularity in the UK. Several months later they came out with Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, which done even better.

Their next several releases steadied in popularity in the UK, but for some reason they just did not have the popularity here as they did in their own country . They continued releasing albums on Elektra, and folded up in the mid70's. Sad because they put out some cool stuff.

Another band who I really liked was Pearls Before Swine. Originally from New York City, they were signed by the ultimate avante garde music label, ESP Records. Their first two albums, which I would recommend, is One Nation Underground and Balaklava, which both were released in 1968. Reprise signed them and unfortunately These Things Too did not get anyones attention. Neither did Use of Ashes and City Of Gold. Those two lp's apparently had involvement of members of Area Code 615, a group of Nashville session players who put out a couple of lp's in 1969 and 1970. The name of their group comes from their area code, and included session guys Kenny Buttrey, Norbert Putnam, and Charlie McCoy. Sadly this was just not a good fit IMO. Tom Rapp went solo after that, releasing lp's on Reprise and Blue Thumb. Like the Incredible String Band, by the late 70's, they were history.

Only the underground fm stations would play this type of music, but nevertheless both the Incredible String Band and Pearls Before Swine figured in a sizable way with the Psych/Folk movement. Hobbiewise, all their material is in demand, ESPECIALLY Pearls Before Swines first few releases on ESP, their first lp was issued in monaural and included a full size poster. Very collectible. Check them out!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-05-2009 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-05-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
... the Beatles ... form of acid rock (eg Strawberry Fields Forever, I am The Walrus) is quite different from the late '60s heavier sound of lengthy, loud and repetitive guitar solos...
I can hear the acid rock influence in the guitar in Strawberry Fields Forever; it sounds "fuzzy" in a couple of places.

In I Am the Walrus, there are more instances where that fuzzy sound is used (what is that instrument?) unlike in Strawberry Fields Forever. The different ways vocals were used is amazing as well as changes in the rhythm.

I could hear why people loved the Beatles, their music is fantastic!!!

Strawberry Fields Forever (1967)

YouTube - The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever (colour)

I am The Walrus (1967)

YouTube - The Beatles - I Am The Walrus

Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 PM

DOUBLE H'S TOP 10 PSYCH/GARAGE/HITS FOR JANUARY 1968

1.Tomorrow-Strawberry Alarm Clock-UNI label-45.
2. Here Come The Nice b/w Itchycoo Park-Small Faces-Immediate label-45
3, Hello Goodbye-Beatles-Capitol label-45.
4. Love Machine-Roosters-Philips label-45
5. 2000 Light Years From Home-Rolling Stones-London label(album cut off Satanic Majesties Request)
6. Summer Rain-Johnny Rivers-Imperial Label-45
7. Presidents Guide To Psychedelic Fitness-Blues Magoos-Philips label-(album cut off Basic Blues Magoos)
8. Nobody But Me-Human Beinz-Capitol label-45
9. Watch Her Ride/Spare Change-Jefferson Airplane-RCA label(album cut off Bathing At Baxters)
10.Wild Honey-Beach Boys-Capitol label- album cut off Wild Honey

Old 02-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
... The closest The Beatles came to that [acid rock] would be George Harrison's under-appreciated gem "It's All Too Much".
The acid rock feel of "It's All Too Much" is very evident from the beginning of the song, from the guitar's first note! That strong guitar and the aggressive drum beat definitely make a part of the genre.

The Beatles - It's All Too Much - 1968

YouTube - The Beatles - It's All Too Much

Old 02-07-2009, 12:22 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
IMO - If It's All Too Much was repackaged by someone whose legs look like sticks, it would do ok in today's market. Disassociate it from the Beatles and it's brand new.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
IMO - If It's All Too Much was repackaged by someone whose legs look like sticks, it would do ok in today's market. Disassociate it from the Beatles and it's brand new.
It's All Too Much definitely stands the test of time.
Reminds me (just a little bit) of the Stones'
She's A Rainbow. (kind of a wacky video, but it was the only YouTube I could find with decent, complete audio.)

Old 02-07-2009, 09:36 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
I was wondering how prominent was the word "Sky" is in the lyrics of Acid Rock music.
Lucy in the Sky....
Excuse me while I kiss .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music