Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:01 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times

Advertisements

A lot of bands have members in their 20s or even 30s, but their audience is mainly teens. Some examples are Simple Plan and Senses Fail. Why are the fans younger than the band members? I would expect more people the same age as the band to like the band.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 03:07 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,249,160 times
Bands like Simple Plan make sappy songs that teenagers can relate too, as well as intended for teens, and that teens are sure to eat up and buy.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
A lot of bands have members in their 20s or even 30s, but their audience is mainly teens. Some examples are Simple Plan and Senses Fail. Why are the fans younger than the band members? I would expect more people the same age as the band to like the band.
Honestly, I don't see the reason for the buzz around fellas like linkin park, jonas brothers, senses fail, simple plan, smile empty soul, etc.,

They should be in their own category, like say, harry potter or twilight rock

Old 03-20-2009, 05:35 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,821,581 times
Quote:
city_data91, good question

It has always been and it always will be no matter whether we are talking about Beatles, Elvis Presley or Simple Plan (sorry, never heard abound this band before).
Take for example Beatles. Little girls went mad about them when they were at the height of their fame not only because they made good songs but also because these musicians were some kinda sex idols for them. You know millions of teen girls dreamed to get married with John Lennon way back. Older girls also liked Beatles for their good songs though "I love John, I go mad about him, he's sexy, I'd like to marry him" attitude was less important for a girl if she was a grown-up married one. That's why older girls are less frantic fans of their favs
There's another point. The most loyal fans are definetly teens, because when you are the teen you imbibe everything like a sponge. That's why in most cases the place in our hearts is taken for ever by our teen favs. And nobody's gonna change it. E.g. I have some favs, take for example Queen. It became my fav when I was a teen. Of course a lot of new musicians appeared since Queen became my fav and some of these musicians are pretty good but the place for fav in my heart is taken by Queen. No competitors for them among modern bands to me.
Once you're gonna be let's say 40yo and you're gonna give a damn about modern bands of future (let's say Simple Plan #3) because the only band you really like will be your teen love, it is Simple Plan of course. Nevertheless your kids probably will be into Simple Plan #3 band and they will not give a damn about good old-fashioned Simple Plan their dad like.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
There are very very few teenaged rock bands that are sucessful enough to have a following- this being mainly due to the fact that teenagers have not mastered their instumental and writing styles to the point of maturity needed to record and produce a commercially sucessful rock (or country) record (they do sing bubblegum and "boy band" music but serious rock stuff is not something teeangers can usually do). Therefore teens tend to listen to bands who are in their 20s and 30s. There are a few exceptions such as the band "Bush" that did do commercially sucessful rock as teens but they are few and far between.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 AM

327 posts, read 1,051,209 times
Quote:
Usually these type of bands start off in high school and it is automatically in relation to teen years. They become good enough and get picked up by an indie label. Producers from that label will try to keep there music geared towards the same audience or to the trend at the time. The band members eventually get older and still put out the same music cause they either want to continue being musicians or never went to college and this is the only life they know.

For the record, Simple Plan are sell outs and what they put out whatever there record label tells them to. Senses Fail at least went through there dues in the local scene

Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There are very very few teenaged rock bands that are sucessful enough to have a following- this being mainly due to the fact that teenagers have not mastered their instumental and writing styles to the point of maturity needed to record and produce a commercially sucessful rock (or country) record (they do sing bubblegum and "boy band" music but serious rock stuff is not something teeangers can usually do). Therefore teens tend to listen to bands who are in their 20s and 30s. There are a few exceptions such as the band "Bush" that did do commercially sucessful rock as teens but they are few and far between.
I don't know where you got the idea that producing a commercially successful record required instrumental and writing talent from.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I don't know where you got the idea that producing a commercially successful record required instrumental and writing talent from.
It does require alot of talent to be commercially sucessful as a band. You have to have writing, instrumental and production talent to put out a good enough product to have a following.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It does require alot of talent to be commercially sucessful as a band. You have to have writing, instrumental and production talent to put out a good enough product to have a following.
USA Singles Top 40 @ Top40-Charts.com - 40 Top 20 & Top 40 Music Charts from 25 Countries

Commercial success requires no musical talent. Most of the commercially successful are lacking in talent, and many of the non commercially successful have a great amount of talent.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:52 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,721,399 times
Because the music is targeted at younger audiences because they're probably easier to influence. Plus, it takes a while to get famous and make it big for most bands.
Also, I think that a lot of bands probably DO actually have fan bases the same ages as the bands, but older generations tend to flaunt it quite a bit less. I'd be scared if I ever saw some 40-year old man squealing over Metallica. Last time I was at a concert/in a moshpit I do recall there being an awfully large amount of people there who were 30+. I think it also depends on the band/artist in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music