Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times

Advertisements

FlashM, of all the Metallica analyses that I have read (granted that's not a helluva lot) yours is the one that I agree with the most. Although I can't comment on anything after the black album because I have only heard that stuff in passing - from what I heard I know that I am not interested.
I don't know which songs I like the best because so many are about equal to me. I'll just post this one - pretty brutal (and with a nice melodic intro) for 1984...

YouTube - Metallica - Fight Fire with Fire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
I guess you're fan of instrumental songs?

Guilty as charged.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 PM

563 posts, read 2,570,370 times
Great synopsis on your take on the albums. I never bought too much into the sell out mentality that people talked about when Black Album came out, or Load/Reload, etc for that matter. Of course i liked the faster thrash metal style of the earlier albums, and Death Magnetic really does sound like a throw back to their earlier days but I never really disliked Load, Reload, or even the Black Album. I guess I am just a fan true and true. I gotta say I am really lovin' this Mandatory Metallica station on Sirius satellite. My radio never changes off of it. Too bad it ends this month. I guess the only real album I never listen to is St. Anger. You are right that Kill Em All can get a little repetitive and redundant. Its a bit raw and unrefined but it has a lot of energy. Its so tough to choose though--Ride the Lightning is great. Master of Puppets is great. I like And Justice for All too.

Master of Puppets was my first album purchased. I used to go to the supermarket with my mother and when she was shopping I would wander over to the area where they sold cds, tapes, cameras, film, etc. I would stare at the tapes. Not even cds at the time. Casette tapes I must have been 8-9 years old. (3rd/4th grade)

I would stare at the Metallica tapes--Ride the lightning, Master of Puppets, Kill Em All. When I finally got enough money to buy the tape, I was torn. I pulled the trigger with Master of Puppets and to this day, remember first putting the tape on. I guess that album has a special place in my heart as it was my first Metallica album.

When I saw them a few months ago in NYC area they played a lot of songs off Death Magnetic plus some of the old classic staples. Not as many as I would have liked, as I have seen them do a better set but it was still a great show. They actually played And Justice for All. In all the times I have seen them, they never played that song. It was great. Reminded me of 2004 when they played Metal Militia and Jump in the Fire as an encore. As for the NYC area show back in Jan. 09, No Load, Re-Load or St. Anger songs at all. Seemed like they really enjoyed playing the new stuff.

If I had to pick some favorites, off the top of my head they would be: Sanitarium, The thing that should not be, Master of Puppets, Fade to black, Ride the Lightning, Blackened, Harvester of Sorrow...just a few... =)

Old 04-03-2009, 03:37 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,821,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Yeah, great song

I do like this line 'Time is like a fuse, short and burning fast'. I have to agree with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
I pulled the trigger with Master of Puppets
Thanks for comprehensive post.

I wonder why did you buy this one first but not 'Ride The Lightning' for example?
At random? Because of cover art? Any other reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
The thing that should not be, Master of Puppets, Fade to black, Ride the Lightning, Blackened, Harvester of Sorrow
I like them all.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:01 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
There was a great radio station that was nationwide in the USA in the late 80's thru the mid 90's out of Dallas, Texas called ''Z Rock'' that was in many major markets all across the country and they always were playing Metallica and other hardcore metal groups back then as that's how i first heard of Metallica when i lived in Jacksonville in the Navy.

While i'm not a diehard Metallica fan there are songs i do really like and they are ''Leper Messiah'' on the 'Master of Puppets' album and ''Harvester of Sorrow'' on the 'And Justice For All' album.

YouTube - Metallica - Leper Messiah

YouTube - Metallica - Harvester Of Sorrow

Nice thread Flash .

6/3

Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Guilty as charged.
What do you think of 'To Live Is To Die'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
While i'm not a diehard Metallica fan there are songs i do really like and they are ''Leper Messiah'' on the 'Master of Puppets' album and ''Harvester of Sorrow'' on the 'And Justice For All' album.
6/3
6/3, these are ones of my favs too

I like the lyrics of 'Harvester Of Sorrow'

My Life Suffocates
Planting Seeds of Hate
I've Loved, Turned to Hate
Trapped Far Beyond My Fate

I Give
You Take
This Life That I Forsake
Been Cheated of My Youth
You Turned this Lie to Truth

I adore the way Hetfield sings that part of the song I've just mentioned above. It's sad but I don't have suitable and proper words to describe in English what I think about the way he sings. A couple of words come across my mind. They are a) 'emotional' b) 'anguished'.
I guess there must be some better words to describe his manner to perform though I don't know them.

6/3, since both 'Lepper Messiah' and 'Harvester Of Sorrow' are pretty slow, as I can see you're not the fan of rapid Metallica's songs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Nice thread Flash .
Thanks.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:

6/3, since both 'Lepper Messiah' and 'Harvester Of Sorrow' are pretty slow, as I can see you're not the fan of rapid Metallica's songs?

Thanks.
Nope i never got into the ''speed metal'' category as my 70's and 80's roots doesn't jive with that . However i understand why the twenty somethings like it and so if you like the ''speed'' sound Flash then by all means enjoy it .

6/3

Old 04-03-2009, 09:08 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
"Harvester of Sorrow" is definitely my favorite, although I am fond of the entire And Justice for All album including of course the ubiquitous "One".

Old 04-03-2009, 09:54 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:

Rep. I totally forgot about that one. Thanks.

Also...
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Blackened

Old 04-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
"Harvester of Sorrow" is definitely my favorite
Well, I guess 'Harvester of Sorrow' is the most popular pick in this thread for some reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Blackened
I adore 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'. It's flawless.
The intro is perfect, especially I like the moment when another guitar starts to play at the moment approx. 1:17.

Blackened is awesome because it falters all the way trough. I do hope you understand what I mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music