Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

Overrated:

Nickelback
Janis Joplin (cat with laryngitis getting its tail stepped on, anyone?)
Nirvana
Kid Rock
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Green Day
Metallica (post-Justice)
Blink 182
Madonna
Lady Gaga

Underrated:

Alter Bridge
Megadeth
Tesla
Demon Hunter
Weezer

Actually, I think of 2 bands that I like that most people want to lump into the "overrated" category, that I think are actually "underrated:" Creed and Hootie and the Blowfish. People seem to only think of their top-40 radio hits and dismiss them as overrated bubble gum pop, when the reality is, both of those bands' best stuff was on their albums that weren't big mainstream hits. I think Creed's best work is both My Own Prison and their newest album Full Circle, which hasn't gotten much mainstream play. They had some cheesy mainstream hits, but they can rock. And Hootie has been putting out great albums with a bluesy/folk rock kind of feel since their 15 minutes of fame that are excellent.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 10-06-2010 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Seriously overrated:

The Arcade Fire

I don't understand what's so great about this band. I saw them on "The Daily Show" and was very underwhelmed. How is it that a band with 8 members manages to produce such boring, rudimentary song arrangements? For example, in the live performance of "Ready to Start," both drummers were playing the exact same part, all the guitars were playing the same line, etc. What's the point in having 8 members if you're going to make a song arrangement that could just as easily be produced by an average 4-piece band? Hell - Rush has 3 members, and most of their songs have more interesting arrangements, and the band produces just as much or more sound than The Arcade Fire.

The band is definitely competent, and their songs aren't horrible, but I don't think they deserve their ridiculous hype. If I want to hear an alternative rock band with repetitive song structures and large-scale instrumentation, I'd rather listen to Stereolab because their arrangements are usually much more interesting.
I agree 100%

Old 10-08-2010, 05:33 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
I could put most current mainstream musicians on the overrated list so I wont even bother. I'll only list artist that have enough measurable talent to rate.

Overrated:
Beyonce
Arcade Fire
Aerosmith (after Pump)
Blink 182
Train
Journey
Coldplay
Radiohead
Phil Collins
Guns N Roses
Bon Jovi
KISS
The Grateful Dead
Jimmy Buffett
U2
Kings of Leon

With underrated bands I could go on forever. I think 70% or more of the better music that has been released lately has been over looked or just ignored.

Underrated:
Amos Lee
Ben Harper
The Black Keys
Cocteau Twins
Cowboy Junkies
David Ford
Dirty Sweet
The Fratellis
Gomez
Grace Potter & the Nocturnals
Grand Avenue
Jellyfish
The Posies
Jenny Lewis
Levellers
Live
Margo & the Nuclear So & So's
Morphine
Mock Orange
Primal Scream
Ray LaMontagne
The Thermals
Year Long Disaster

Old 10-08-2010, 05:35 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
The TP hanger Cristo...

Old 10-08-2010, 08:08 PM

408 posts, read 723,821 times
Sly and the Family Stone = Underrated
Mandrill = Underrated

and someone said it, but Elvis is the epitome of overrated

I'd also like to add Lenny Kravitz to the list over overratedness even if he isn't rated at all... lol

Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
As a performer and humanitarian, Michael Jackson's accolades are well-deserved. As a songwriter, Jackson is good, but his abilities in that area are vastly overrated. There are lots of pop songwriters who wrote in the same style as Jackson who made music that was just as good or better (Prince being a good example).
I disagree, MJ's song writing abilities were underrated. For example take a song like "Jam"

The World Keeps Changing
Rearranging Minds
And Thoughts
Predictions Fly Of Doom
The Baby Boom
Has Come Of Age
We'll Work It Out

I Told My Brothers
Don't You Ask Me
For No Favors
I'm Conditioned By
The System
Don't You Talk To Me
Don't Scream And Shout

She Pray To God, To Buddha
Then She Sings A
Talmud Song
Confusions Contradict
The Self
Do We Know Right
From Wrong
I Just Want You To
Recognize Me
In The Temple
You Can't Hurt Me
I Found Peace
Within Myself

That's the 2nd verse, his song writing skills are VERY underrated. He was the ULTIMATE Artist/Dancer/Singer/Entertainer RIP MJ

Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 AM

664 posts, read 855,660 times
Overrated:
Beyonce ( like her old music better)
Rihanna ( again i like her old music better)
Lady Gaga (i like some of her stuff)

Underrated:
Brandy (her voice is so beautiful, and she sings songs with meaning)
India.Arie (i love her too. about beautiful voice, and her music has meaning too)
Monica
Carl Thomas (wowwwwwww, this man can sang!)

Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
Quote:
Overrated:

--Radiohead (Is there anything the band can do that won't be hailed as "genius?")
Well, after listening to "The King of Limbs" several times and being severely disappointed by the album in spite of the rave reviews from practically everyone, I stand by my assertion that Radiohead is one of the most overrated band of all time. I think some of the band's stuff is great ("OK Computer," parts of "In Rainbows," and 1/2 of "Kid A"), but a good portion of their discography is boring experimental work.

How did the band manage to get to the position where everything they churn out is proclaimed as genius?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Some of the bands people have listed as underrated obviously doesn't listen to music. Most of the acts people have listed have actually had really big hits. That is the definition of being "rated" i.e. have millions of fans. Acts like Huey Lewis (hello they are in Back to the Future), Iggy Pop (he was on American Idol and is Rock and Roll Hall of Famer), Janis Joplin (another Rock and Roll Hall of Famer), Rush (future Hall of Famer), Weezer turned out countless Top 10 hits ... I could go on.

From what I saw for overrated, I totally disagree about Michael Jackson. The dude practically created what pop music is today. Forget his personal life. Just look at what he did for the genre. As for others I disagreed with, Coldplays' A Rush of Blood to the Head is by far one of the best overall albums I have heard. Not to mention Parachutes is also an amazing album. Yes, I am not a fan of their current work but you can't denied what was previously done. I could touch on other artists as well.

Overrated (my list will probably be flamed)
- the Beatles (excluding John Lennon)
- Led Zepplin
- the Doors
- David Bowie
- AC/DC
- 2Pac
- Notorious BIG
- Wu-Tang Clan
- Beyonce/Destiny Child
- Nickleback
- Lil Wayne & the whole current cast of Cash Money artists (i.e. Drake, Nicki, etc)
- Miley Cyrus

Underrated
- 311 (yes most people know them but they did it with little to none radio play)
- Coheed and Cambria
- There for Tomorrow
- Thursday
- Rise Against
- Michael Buble (yes most people know him but he did it with little to none radio play)
- Lights
- Saves the Day
- A Tribe Called Quest
- the Cool Kids
- Black Sheep
- Lupe Fiasco
- A Day To Remember

Old 04-12-2011, 08:24 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,811 times
Overrated: Foo Fighters
Underrated: Soundgarden (I know they are highly touted, but everybody talks Pearl Jam (whom I used to love) and Nirvana (whom I now loathe), when the subject is Seattle)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music