Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 AM

364 posts, read 1,569,304 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm going to be teaching myself how to play the guitar and was looking for some help in planning how to go about it. Basically I'm just looking for suggestions as far as a schedule. I can probably commit to an hour a night for 3-4 nights a week, but nothing more. Is that realistic? Or would it be too much (or too little)? In all honesty, I don't know the first thing about playing a guitar but I'd rather give it a go on my own (I've got books, DVD's, etc) rather than taking lessons. I feel like I learn better on my own.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 AM

5,879 posts, read 9,256,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Hi all,

I'm going to be teaching myself how to play the guitar and was looking for some help in planning how to go about it. Basically I'm just looking for suggestions as far as a schedule. I can probably commit to an hour a night for 3-4 nights a week, but nothing more. Is that realistic? Or would it be too much (or too little)? In all honesty, I don't know the first thing about playing a guitar but I'd rather give it a go on my own (I've got books, DVD's, etc) rather than taking lessons. I feel like I learn better on my own.

Thanks!
You will learn far more that way. You won't have a teacher telling you you are doing something wrong because it isn't his way. IE fretboard fingerings. All the best players I know of taught themselves Hendrix, SRV etc... etc.... You will have to start off slow until you build up some hand and finger strength. You will need calluses to form on your finger tips as well. It will/may hurt until you get them. BTW, do not buy a elcheapo guitar for your first one. I did and realized after only six months it was a POS and sounded like a**. I had to sell it and have been with Gibson and Fender ever since. You could go with Epiphone though. They are less expensive and are of good quality. Some of the best DVD's are in the style of the band or guitarist you want to sound like. Start there and stick with it. Hey, if it was easy wouldn't everyone be a guitar player? Rugged

Last edited by 2RUGGED4YOU; 01-16-2010 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: I can play a guitar but I can't spell!LOL......

Old 01-16-2010, 11:21 AM

Also, you should not try to learn a complete song when you are first learning. You will get frustrated quickly and may think of quitting? Try to learn a easy riff or intro to a famous song you like first. It will be satisfying to be able to play what you heard and will give you confidence to stick with it. A great beginner riff/intro to learn is "Smoke On The Water" by Deep Purple. It is only a few power chords. The first time you hear it, note for note coming out of your amp and guitar you are playing YOU WILL HAVE THE BIGGEST S***EATING GRIN ON YOUR FACE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF! Rugged

Old 01-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the advice, but I already have a guitar (it's a Martin). Just looking for some help in setting up a regimen. To start off, how much time should I practice per session? And how many times a week would you suggest?

Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Also, you should not try to learn a complete song when you are first learning. You will get frustrated quickly and may think of quitting? Try to learn a easy riff or intro to a famous song you like first. It will be satisfying to be able to play what you heard and will give you confidence to stick with it. A great beginner riff/intro to learn is "Smoke On The Water" by Deep Purple. It is only a few power chords. The first time you hear it, note for note coming out of your amp and guitar you are playing YOU WILL HAVE THE BIGGEST S***EATING GRIN ON YOUR FACE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF! Rugged
My initial thought was just to learn the basic chords, then branch out onto the harder ones from there, and so on and so forth.

I'm not really learning to play so that I can play my favorite songs, although I'm sure I will do that. Basically I just want to be able to pick up the guitar and mess around with it from time to time.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,770,427 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, but I already have a guitar (it's a Martin). Just looking for some help in setting up a regimen. To start off, how much time should I practice per session? And how many times a week would you suggest?
Above anything...You own a Martin. Nice instrument!

If you are going to keep at playing, great. If you plan on putting it back in the case and forget about it for a while, de-tune it. Nothing worse than keeping a guitar tensioned without using it. Neck warpage will cost money to repair and devalue the instrument if it can't be remedied.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
That is a very nice acoustic guitar. Some of the best acoustic guitar work was done with them. "Pinball Wizard" The Who "Little Martha" The Allman brothers etc... etc.... I started practicing for 30 minutes-1 hour when I started. You won't get fatigued that way and it is easier to learn. How often you should practice? That depends on how good you want to get? Also how much free time you have. I haven't been doing much lately because I have been on here trying to find a GF! LOL...... You should be practicing at least 3 times a week when you are first learning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1PiHsS8LP8

Old 01-16-2010, 11:49 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,628,544 times
Here is all you need to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QCs3PnQBc

Old 01-16-2010, 11:54 AM

The Beatles 'Paperback Writer" was the first song I learned how to play. I still remember the day I finally mastered it.After I learned how to play it I went to the local music shop and picked up a electric guitar off the rack. I plugged in and started playing it. Before I knew it, the whole store stopped doing what they were doing and came back to watch me play. I didn't notice at first but when I did I became nervous. I will never forget that day the rest of my life. I finally was cool! Rugged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music