Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: today's music sucks...or no
Yes,today music is garbage 92 77.97%
No,I like today's music it's wonderful 26 22.03%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times

Advertisements

Music, art, entertainment...is all subjective. Even so...I think the sucky thing about music is when people assume that their taste is the standard of good. There have been so many times I thought I disliked a song...only to do a 180 after making a connection with life...a person, or an experience.

The key is having an open mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 06:54 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
The key is having an open mind.
This is what it's about, really. Keep an open mind, and also accept the fact that no matter how much music you listen to, you haven't even scratched the surface of what's out there.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
The answer to this question has been asked every day since radio started churning out the songs of their day . . . and the answer has ALWAYS been "yes". The new always has to prove itself before it can stand against those songs of the past. Our old "likes" are hard pressed to be supplanted by the new. That is just the way it is.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
There is more music today than there was ever before. You have mediums like Youtube, Pure Volume, Myspace, etc where there is countless number of performers/groups.

But like the one user stated, there is good and bad music in every decade. But it is also is a matter of taste. When you grow up with a certain style of music, you hope that everything copies/recreates it.

As for finding music, it isn't that hard. Find someone you like and use google. You will find similiar acts/groups that utilized a similiar style. Also, check out who they tour with. These two methods is how I come across music I enjoy.

Lastly, I personally don't understand how you (members of this forum) listen to the same songs over and over for the past however many years you have been alive. I find stuff like that to get old and tiresome.
agreed: it is harder to find music than it used to be, simply because there is more music, and in terms of my style of music is easier, cheaper to make (can be done on Macs in the case of electronic music). People who listen to the same music all the time in my eyes are boring, and closed minded to whats out there. I'm aways looking for new music, but I still enjoy the old, but I get tired of hearing only the old.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:44 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,423,799 times
The Real reason why the crap songs(especially rap) are on the radio so many times is because the business labels behinds those artist who don't promote true artists and the fans who are too dumb to knoew what's real and what's not real, along with jumping on ANYTHING that's new. They should learn that just because something is new doesn't always mean it's better than the old.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:55 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,423,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
well i understand what a lot of people are saying....the majority of mainstream music is junk
i think a lot of today's problem is the mainstream filter. why is all the crap only being put on airways?
well maybe because the two main genres are easy to market. they are hip hop/rap and pop.

think about it. it's so much easier to get a pretty blonde who has an ok voice,use some auto tune,put her in **** outfits and market her than look for the next janis joplin or tina turner

it's so much easier to market some black guy who dresses flashes and talks about the streets (which he knows nothing about),than it is to find a true diamond in the rough poet who can rap about life like tupac or someone else.

it's so much easier to market all the synthy pop stuff and do rap and pop with technology than it is to find bands or set musicians.

but still I feel the same way.screw having to go to the ends of the earth for music. and screw the lack of diversity on the radio,all of the stuff sounds the same.
I hear ya. People buy crap, people enjoy crap, people will plunk down $8.50 at the theaters or $50 at the gaming section of toys r us to get crap. So there's certainly a market in the world for crap. like the saying goes, "the masses are asses." but there are people out there (i.e. us) who get tired of crap and want to hear something deeper than non-stop I got money, woman, cars and this and that and you don't along with the autotune and that digital voice crap(you know that thing that was made popular by T-pain?). Something of good quality.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:18 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
If your being feed crap you have three choices: Eat it. Go hungry. Or look for better food.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
I hear ya. People buy crap, people enjoy crap, people will plunk down $8.50 at the theaters or $50 at the gaming section of toys r us to get crap. So there's certainly a market in the world for crap. like the saying goes, "the masses are asses." but there are people out there (i.e. us) who get tired of crap and want to hear something deeper than non-stop I got money, woman, cars and this and that and you don't along with the autotune and that digital voice crap(you know that thing that was made popular by T-pain?). Something of good quality.
And then there are people who try and sum up everything (1 million+ songs) in 1 because they are too lazy to find new music they enjoy (talking general on these boards). These people also hate innovation in products including music. It's ok for Talk Box but not for AutoTune when Autotune is just an innovation to Talk Box. It would be interesting to know how many 70s artists would have used AutoTune if it existed back then.

Music is subjective and always will. What sounds good to one person might not sound as good to another.

Why can't we just let this thread die like it has been for a while...

Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
If your town has an Adult Alternative station, I would recomend anyone into classic rock to give those stations a shot (Sirius/XM has Spectrum.) These stations will play Petty, Dylan, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen (among others.) They will also play the newer adult alt bands on there (Kings of Leon, Spoon, My Morning Jacket, Ray Lamontagne, Jack Johnson, The Black Keys, Arcade Fire, Wilco, etc.)

It's a good way for some fans of classic rock to get to listen to some new (non mainstream) music.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
this will be the last time I respond to this or all of the other related topics.

There have been 100 or so youtubes available to be clicked, but i'd be willing to bet that none of the posters who think that today's music sucks clicked any.

Like they'd be in a position to know.
You're wrong. I clicked on quite a few of them, and quite honestly, I can't distinguish them from the normal crap that I can hear on the local radio station or being played in my fast food establishment.

Today's music sucks, and "alternative" (whatever that means) music sucks right along with it. What do you mean by "in a position to know"? The speakers are on one side of the room, and I'm on the other. I'm in position to know. Or are you saying that "good music" is now only accessible to people who "know" something arcane that you and a few of your associates are in the inner circle of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music