Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,335 times

Advertisements

So, did anyone show up for the meet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 05:04 AM

13 posts, read 21,141 times
yes, there were 5 of us. there is discussion about adding trivia on a regular basis and possibly gathering to play euchre or bunco. also the members are posting their plans for going out so that others can meet up and join them.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,568 times
My husband is looking a new job opportunity in Georgetown, SC. We have dreamt of living near the coast for a very long time. Now our two oldest children are in college and we have two younger daughters, 11 and 3. It sounds like his new potential position is fairly promising, however I am having a hard time finding potential fits for my work. I am in healthcare managment, marketing. We would like to settle around Pawleys Island. Any iknput or advice would be greatly appreciated. Timeline is this summer - hopefully before fall. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Georgetown is a neat little town that has, thus far, managed to avoid selling its soul and character for the almighty tourist dollar. Pawleys is nice, but heavily touristed. Its soul has departed and changing demographics is quickly driving out its character. Regardless, with school-age children, Pawleys is probably a better choice to live than Georgetown.

I'm not sure what type of input you're looking for. The area's largest heallthcare provider is Georgetown Hospital, which also operates a smaller facility in Murrells Inlet, just north of Pawleys. With many retirees in the area, there are also many medical practices but most of them are smaller offices.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,568 times
Thanks for the feedback. I have been scoping the Georgetown Hospital system on line. I would thing the opportunities would be plentiful. I would probably be better suited for a small physician practice adminsitrator or manager position. One would think it would be fairly easy for me to find a job anywhere. I am sad to hear about the prognosis for Pawleys. We were really hoping it was retaining its character and a bit out of the way.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Don't let me deter you... It's summer at the beach - hot, crowded, and crazy. My disposition improves when Fall arrives and the coast is clear (more or less). Besides, somebody has to be the grumpy old man on here. Regardless, PI is closer to dead center of the bullseye, rather than "out of the way".

There are quite a few smaller practices in the general area, particularly if you expand your search to include Myrtle Beach, but jobs are hard to come by down here right now. A couple links that may be worth checking out:

Myrtle Beach Sun News Classifieds

JobLink - A jobs database sponsored by SC Dept of Employment and Workforce. It's searchable by key word and areas within the state.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:33 PM

15 posts, read 63,123 times
We are visiting Murrells Inlet within the month for a job interview (mine) and will only be there 2-3 days. Any ideas about what to do to really give me a feel for the area, other than driving around? Does anyone have any interesting stories or history about the area that will give me a real "feel" for the area? Thanks! I am excited to maybe be moving there soon (another one from Ohio - lol).

Old 07-04-2010, 07:24 AM

13 posts, read 21,141 times
One thing we love about MB is how you can travel throughout the area and get a different feel from different areas. For example, we live in the south strand off hwy 707 and it is has a feel like it is was a rural area changing to suburban. We can head to Garden City and riding past the beach homes you could be in the Outer Banks. The Carolina Forest area is definately suburbia. The million dollar homes north of the hotels along Ocean Blvd in Myrtle Beach, have a Florida feel to them. Pawleys is like a small beach community. The tourist area, with Ripley's, the Gay Dolphin and hotels is a world onto itself. Market Common is a new mixed use community built on the old Air Force grounds. At the heart is a shopping and dining area with condos built above. New home developments are nearby. North Myrtle Beach is a resort town apart from Myrtle Beach. Conway is an old quaint town. Loris and Little River are more rural areas. Each area is very different and it is amazing that you can travel 1/2 hr and get a very different feel from one area to another.

That being said, you will probably need to travel around a bit to see where you will feel most comfortable.

Good Luck and enjoy your explorations!

Old 07-05-2010, 06:59 AM

15 posts, read 63,123 times
Thanks, I appreciate the information - looking forward to our visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area