Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,278,040 times

Advertisements

I'm applying for a job in Myrtle Beach. Like others I was a tad surprised at the crime index rating. I currently drive 45-50 minutes to and from work here in Michigan so I do NOT have to be right in Myrtle Beach. Closer would be nice but will do what it takes. Not knowing anything about the area I decided to post here. I have a 10 year old son and my wife is currently in school to be a nurse. So good schools close to or near a city with a big hospital would be ideal. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,882,668 times
My brother used to live in Georgetown and liked it a lot. He didn't have any kids, but he worked in an elementary school.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 PM

55 posts, read 114,661 times
You can live in Conway, but traffic gets bad. Have you looked at North Myrtle Beach or Little River?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,881,144 times
Carolina Forest, it isn't in the city of Myrtle Beach - good schools and tons of kids and different neighborhoods. I have lived in Carolina Forest for 5 years and there isn't any crime.

Your have to remember the city of Myrtle Beach is a tourist destination, so the crime numbers of higher with all the people coming and going.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,680,011 times
Socastee is good. It does however for some reason come up as Myrtle Beach. The mail comes from Socastee and the land we live on is that town also.However our mail has to say MB.
It is outside of the MB city area, not in city limits.
Very wooded and with nice lagoons. I'd say Glenmere or Lake Park Plantation......
Schools are close and the hospitals are near also.
Conway has a hospital. There is the Waccamaw Hospital is just up 17 and the large Grand Strand Regional Hosp. is just heading up north a bit.
I also adore "The Gates" and my very favorite is " The Lakes" ....The Lakes is very wooded, with small lakes and a nice clubhouse and pool.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,550,707 times
Speaking of Socastee coming up as Myrtle Beach...... Our development of Park West is definately in Horry County. However are address continues to pop up as being in Georgetown County. Even SC MV things we are in Georgetown County. I wonder how to get that corrected?

I just realized that the problem is our zip code. It is a Murrells Inlet zip and Murrells Inlet is a Georgetown county town. Still, it is a pain........

Last edited by tmozer; 01-27-2012 at 09:25 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,125,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I'm applying for a job in Myrtle Beach. Like others I was a tad surprised at the crime index rating. I currently drive 45-50 minutes to and from work here in Michigan so I do NOT have to be right in Myrtle Beach. Closer would be nice but will do what it takes. Not knowing anything about the area I decided to post here. I have a 10 year old son and my wife is currently in school to be a nurse. So good schools close to or near a city with a big hospital would be ideal. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I would really really rethink the commute thing.

With a commute in Myrtle Beach, you are mostly driving with tourists from other cities. They come from towns with one stop light to people who regularly commute in cities like Atlanta, DC, and NYC. When you get all those different drivers together, it's a nightmare.

Also, I was born and raised in Myrtle Beach proper and have never been a victim of crime. Those crime stats are skewed to include all the druggies, runaways, muggings etc that happen in the worst parts of town. I would live in Myrtle Beach before I'd live in Socastee. No offense to anyone who lives there but it's just yucky and some parts are very low rent.

Surfside, Garden City, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield, and Pawleys would all be good choices.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Oh yikes.....Socastee is not yucky, and not low rent. We have a bad section ( I suppose) too, just like MB city does.

Places like Glenemere and Lake Park are not lowly by anymeans. Beautiful homes and wonderful communities.

We are surrounded by Surfside Beach. Up the street is Murrells Inlet and Garden City.
Litchfield and Pawleys isn't that very far away. We use that area many times during the week for
shopping and restaurants. Golf. ( they at at the Founders Club today)

I stayed in Surfside Beach every winter and I feel I am still in that same area proper.

The only thing I would not like is being in the area where when all the thousands of bikers arrive there is huge roars. I've heard people on here say they can't even hear their TVs.

If you want to be out of the city where more crimes are committed look a bit inland.
You can be on water or in a nice community. All the towns mentioned above are fine, along with
the majority of areas in Socastee. A well loved area also, near stores and shopping. Close to the brand new Target opening, Ross, Lowes, Lowes foods, restaurants and even the Market Commons.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Speaking of Socastee coming up as Myrtle Beach...... Our development of Park West is definately in Horry County. However are address continues to pop up as being in Georgetown County. Even SC MV things we are in Georgetown County. I wonder how to get that corrected?

I just realized that the problem is our zip code. It is a Murrells Inlet zip and Murrells Inlet is a Georgetown county town. Still, it is a pain........
I had the same thing in PA.....and two street addresses. One for my mailbox and one for the actual street.
My mail has to go under MB but our Post Office is Socastee and my land is Socastee.
Actually that PO is close so I am quite happy about that point.
I do know we are listed as out of city limits.
We looked every winter for a good area. We love NMB but all our friends were in the South MB area.
There are many wonderful towns this way too. I find the south end very calming and restful. When I want more action of things to do I head up to Myrtle Beach itself.
Murrells Inlet is fun too.......all those restaurants. However, it is in a big flood zone down that way. Bike week in Murrells is a nightmare. So I'd avoid it if your not a biker. If you are......well it certainly would be a wonderful place.
Pawleys always the laid back enjoyable place.....awesome and enjoyable.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,918 times
Default Apts

I’m 64 I’m planning on moving there in July! Can you tell me the best towns to live in. Don’t want to buy just rent apt or house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area