Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:15 PM

14 posts, read 51,316 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

A friend of mine who is returning from Iraq soon will be attending training at Ft. Jackson. I live in Atlanta. So we are planning to get together as it has been 3+ years and go and have a guys weekend.

Originally we were thinking to stay around Columbia, but from research it doesnt seem to be what were looking for.

Since Myrtle Beach isnt that far, we figure we will go up there. (And see the ocean, since we both grew up in Michigan,) well he has saw it cause of the military, but I havent.

Anyway, I am attempting to seek out the best area to stay in that is preferably on the beach and is close to the attractions for guys in their late 20's. Ive searched for hotels online, but N. MB and S. MB means nothing to me. LOL Which one is better???

Where does everyone go? We hope to maintain somewhat shorter distance from the hotel in the evening as we dont plan to be driving. However Im sure cabs are just fine too.

Thanks ALL in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
There's lots to do at Broadway on the Beach and the surrounding area...lots of clubs, restaurants, nice hotels, Hard Rock Cafe, Dixie Stampede, and various other forms of entertainment.... I can't remember which hotels are right there, but I went for a teacher's convention 2 years ago and we could walk just about everywhere from our hotel (Holiday Inn Express) near Broadway on the Beach and had a riot!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
And as the saying goes, what happens in Myrtle Beach, stays in Myrtle Beach. Have a ball!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
There are several hotels along the beach in the area of 21 Ave North. This is more or less the center of town. Far enough from some of the sleazier motels of the south end and right down the road from B'way at the Beach.

The Breakers... I have stayed here several times and it is pretty good & right on the beach. Ask for a room in the new building. I have also stayed at the Sheraton at the Convention Center. Not along the beach but decent rooms. There is also a LaQuinta right across from the Palace Theater which should be fairly inexpensive if you are on a budget.

There are a ton of things to do & see, SCBeaches named several. For a nice dinner for all the guys go to Thoroughbreds for a great big steak dinner. Golf & fishing are area favorites and there are many places for adult entertainment such as Masters Club.

You guys have a great time, you earned it!!

Old 12-29-2007, 12:39 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
That will be a good weekend for both of you and you will see the great Atlantic Ocean.

In our younger days we always stayed in North Myrtle Beach ... which at that time was not called North Myrtle Beach but Cherry Grove Beach, Crescent Beach, Windy Hill Beach, Atlantic Beach and the greatest of all was Ocean Drive (called OD back in the old shagging days! The Shag is the South Carolina State Dance and originated from OD Beach Shag.)

South Myrtle Beach consists of Surf Side Beach, Garden City, Murrells Inlet (if you want to try some good seafood you will find door to door seafood restaurants in Murrells Inlet.) Our very favorite seafood is Sara J's in Garden City ... Admiral's Flagship Restaurant in Murrells Inlet has a good seafood buffet.

If you want to stay in the heart of Myrtle Beach look at this website ... Hwy. 501 will take you straight into the heart of MB ... Map.

If your trip is planned soon you will be able to get a good ocean front room at off season rates. It all depends on how you and your friend want to spend your weekend. Crown Reef a nice place to stay on the south end of MB Crown Reef. Also you might want to check out More.

You can check out the MB Chamber of Commerce here MB Chamber. Some of the Mom & Pop motels have very reasonable rates in the off season.

Have a good trip and reunion and tell your friend Thank you for his service.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,009 times
I see lots of great advice has already been given. I also recommend Broadway at the Beach because of so many things to do in that area. When we go to Myrtle Beach we always stay at this Marriott. It's not far from BatB but since you guys are in your 20's you may want to stay at one of the hotels on the strip in MB that way you can walk around and see many of the shops that are along the strip.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-grande-dunes/

Old 12-29-2007, 10:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Oh, you'll have fun there and no one deserves it more then the people who are in the service.

They also have a cool aquarium in that area. I believe it's in North Myrtle Beach. Also, they have buses that run there quite frequently. AWWWW, the ocean.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:51 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
I've been to Myrtle Beach during the winter before and a lot was closed. You might want to check on what will be open when you plan on going or you might find yourself playing a lot of golf.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:51 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,009 times
Here's the Broadway at the Beach's website to check out. You guys have a great time, you deserve it!

http://www.broadwayatthebeach.com/

Old 12-30-2007, 06:36 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
Great link, Luvsdabeach! If the OP goes to this site, he should click on "Nightlife" and "Entertainment", which I think will lead them right to what they are looking for! I hope the young man coming home from Iraq and his friends have a wonderful time...well-deserved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area