Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,242 times

Advertisements

My husband and I used to live in Carolina Forest (and I went to cofc) so we are somewhat familiar with the area. He just got a job opportunity in Georgetown and we are dying to get back to SC, so we're hoping it works out! We have a 9 month old son and plan on expanding our family in the next few years, so we would like a safe, reasonable place!

He is willing to commute ~30 minutes each way, but if Georgetown is safe and we find a place we like, he would rather just live there than, say, PI. I'm a little concerned because I've seen very mixed reviews on Georgetown and I wasn't exactly thrilled when I used to drive through there on my way to MB from Charleston. All in all, we are looking for a safe, family friendly area, preferably close to my husband's job. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 10:43 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Surprised there have been no opinions. Usually, 2 or 3 will rush to say how bad the paper mill smells. We have often talked about moving to G'town and suspect we would be happier there than Pawleys, but have just never pulled the string. IMO, G'town is a mixed bag.

We find it appealing because it more closely resembles a real town with real locals and real jobs, rather than the Disney World-like TouristLand that stretches from Pawleys to NMB. The local industry is not always pretty. While we don't find it to be objectionable, on some mornings IP adds an aroma to the town. Some have compared it to pluff mud, but that's being gracious. The steel mill has also worked to reduce omissions, but that part of town still has a rusty appearance. In many ways, it is a quintessential small Southern town, which means, of course, it is cliquish. Southern charm and hospitality abounds, but it takes at least a couple generations to become a real local.

Shopping can be a challenge. There are numerous small, family-run shops, ranging from butcher to clothes to hardware to books. Other than Walmart and a small meagerly-stocked Belks, if you want to really shop, you gotta drive. That's all a part of small-town living. We have also found the grocery stores down there to be disappointing. We love the restaurants down there, with a few pricey but many excellent places to feed a family very reasonably.

It's a tough real estate situation to figure out. I wouldn't even consider it without a good agent you really trust. The historic section between Front Street and Highmarket is slowly going thru a re-birth. The renovated homes are beautiful and expensive. There are still some old ones that can be picked up reasonably but are massive overhaul projects. Wedgefield Plantation is/was a very nice development but has run into a number of issues that require serious investigation before buying there. Belle Isle is an older development South of town. It's pretty but even further away from good shopping. Beyond that, I don't know enough to comment. About 10 years ago, there were numerous planned-development projects, but the economy killed those and I haven't seen any public discussions to revive them. A very nice YMCA was built on the outskirts of town in anticipation of rapid residential growth which has not yet shown up.

I suspect most young families in your situation would take a look at G'Town, then bolt for Pawleys. That's understandable, and I suspect we would have done the same thing. Still, I recommend giving Georgetown a good look because it's truly a neat place. Good luck to you.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:10 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
Pawleysdude,

2 quick Q's for you.

1. Have they started to rebuild the downtown area from the fire?
2. Can you recommend a pub style type eatery for lunch? I'm taking the Mrs. out for lunch there next week.

Sorry to the OP for not contributing to her thread.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Have they started to rebuild the downtown area from the fire?
No, except for clearing rubble and removing asbestos. Unfortunately, I don't expect to see anything happen soon. Too many private owners involved, some who have moved on to other locations, Too many common walls between owners. Drastically different building codes, flood zone restrictions, etc. IMO, city council will need to lead the effort, perhaps with financial support, to make it happen, but there seems to be no urgency in moving forward.

Quote:
Can you recommend a pub style type eatery for lunch? I'm taking the Mrs. out for lunch there next week.
Not sure about pub style, but if you haven't eaten at River Room, I recommend it. We have lunch and dinner there frequently. It casual & rustic, but right on the RiverWalk with nice views. Lunches are very inexpensive, with excellent seafood, sandwiches, a nice luncheon steak, very good gumbo, etc. Wherever you eat, drop by the Maritime Museum on Front Street. It's only a couple years old, but a strong privately-driven effort to preserve G'town's maritime heritage.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:26 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
No, except for clearing rubble and removing asbestos. Unfortunately, I don't expect to see anything happen soon. Too many private owners involved, some who have moved on to other locations, Too many common walls between owners. Drastically different building codes, flood zone restrictions, etc. IMO, city council will need to lead the effort, perhaps with financial support, to make it happen, but there seems to be no urgency in moving forward.

Not sure about pub style, but if you haven't eaten at River Room, I recommend it. We have lunch and dinner there frequently. It casual & rustic, but right on the RiverWalk with nice views. Lunches are very inexpensive, with excellent seafood, sandwiches, a nice luncheon steak, very good gumbo, etc. Wherever you eat, drop by the Maritime Museum on Front Street. It's only a couple years old, but a strong privately-driven effort to preserve G'town's maritime heritage.
Excellent....thanks for the info.

EDIT: Just checked out their money....right up my alley!!!

Last edited by SC here I come; 04-17-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,242 times
Wow, sorry y'all, I'm just seeing this! Thank you PawleysDude for the info! We headed up there this past weekend and we absolutely adored Georgetown! It is a little rough when driving in on 17 (the only part of it I had seen before), but walking down Front Street with our little one, we both agreed it felt like home. We looked at a few places on Pawleys Island, but they were expensive, small, and we couldn't get a sense of the community. It's beautiful, but just not for us.

We will be moving to G'town on the 1st! Thank you for the great info and we are too excited for words! Thanks again for the input

Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 AM

Congrats, Mrs A - G'town is a neat little place, and if find/found a housing situation that suits you, IMO it's an excellent choice. You are spot on regarding a sense of community vs. PI. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,445 times
Missadkinson, Inwould like to know whAt was your experience sonfar in Georgetown. Can you tell me is the city safe? I am a Floridian who is looking to get a house there, my son is in the navy and we want to live close to him parts of the year. Would you please give me any information that can help us? I have a todler so kids info hels too. Thanks!!

Old 11-25-2015, 03:37 PM

214 posts, read 260,731 times
MrsAdkinson has not been on here in 5 months . I suspect that her absence means they made the right decision .

Old 07-18-2016, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,959 times
Hello
My husband and I are looking at South Carolina for a relocation next year. We would like to be within an half hour of the ocean and in a small quaint town. Any thoughts?
Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area