Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2019, 04:30 PM

16 posts, read 37,855 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband and i a looking at a business in the myrtle beach area to buy. I have a few questions, but my most important one, is what is the health care situation there? What hospital is closest, and what hospital is best? My husband has copd, so we need to be somewhere he can have access to good medical care. I, too, am not in the best of health.

Also, we would like to rent until we decide what area we want to buy in. Our budget for monthly rent is between 1500 and 1800. Would that be enough to rent a condo, in a safe area or should we just look at apartments. We have no pets now, but would like the option of getting one once we move.

I know this is a crazy question, but what do people typically wear in January there? Is a sweater alone warm enough, or would we need coats? I ask that because we both need new coats and i don't want to spend the money for something we won't really need.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

PS....we would be moving there from knoxville tn, so you have some idea of what to compare the weather to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 08:43 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,712,086 times
Health care here is just okay. There's really only one hospital here Grand Strand Medical. there is another in Murrell's Inlet.
For really good medical care you need to go to Charleston about 2 hours south.

Your budget will get you a condo in a "good" area if you don't want to be at the beach.

January usually gets to freezing at night - usually 40-50 during the day.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:11 PM

790 posts, read 1,636,079 times
I concur with Retire in MB generally. I would add that your budget for renting will actually get you into a house in some nice middle class neighborhoods as well if you prefer that rather than a condo and are ok with living a few miles from the beach (I know because we own two rental homes in that range that are currently rented out).

In January, I usually wear a sweatshirt during the day and have a leather jacket the suffices for most night times. Unless you're going to be outside for an extended period of time, something along those lines will work. Most days in January are sunny and in the 50's so when you're in the sunshine, it's plenty warm (at least is is for me). We do have the occasional 40's during the day, but it's only for a day or two.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:23 PM

455 posts, read 676,463 times
We moved from the Knoxville TN area a little further south to Mount Pleasant (outside of Charleston). But still, very similar weather to MB.

We found the sun seemed much stronger in coastal SC. Makes for very pleasant winter days compared to Knoxville.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,190,530 times
Unless an arctic cool sets in, daytime highs in the 50s to 60s.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:23 PM

23 posts, read 90,107 times
Default SC what to wear

Right now it's 12/28/19 and just 2 layers is fine. Like a shirt and maybe a light jacket. I wear my raincoat on 1 layer and it's usually enough. Lately it's 40 degrees upon rising but quickly by 11 it could be 55-60. Unless there is a serious cold snap, it doesn't stay freezing very long. Although it has gotten pretty cold and it's helpful to have a heavier jckt. available for when you need it. But a couple of layers plus Demin jacket usually does fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area