Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 11:55 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,343,688 times

Advertisements

I am from CT and my husband will be retiring in a few years. I live in Fairfield County CT but have been looking into condos in CT for retirement in less expensive areas. I also have been thinking about getting a small condo down south for the winter months but thought there is no way I could afford it.

This condo on Benna Drive in Sterling Village 1 Myrtle Beach looks nice and is a good size. Can anyone give me some insight into these condo's concerning the area like crime and amenities.
Sterling Village 1--Benna Drive-1210bennamyrtlebeach.jpg

Thanks in advance for your insights and information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 02:44 PM

790 posts, read 1,620,210 times
If you check the crime maps, this area looks ok. However, that particular area is relatively close to some rougher areas which, over time, may encroach on this neighborhood. I, myself, would be a little cautious about the long term prospects.

According to the listing, the community includes a pool. The HOA fees are $310/month which is definitely something to consider as they will only go up and you may incur a special assessment in the future if a major renovation is necessary. This community is not really in easy walking distance to anything. If you are thinking about renting it during the summer, you would need to see if the HOA allows short term rentals...many do not especially away from the beach.

What are you looking for in a condo? Are you wanting to be relatively close to the beach or is a 10-15 minute drive acceptable? What type of amenities are you looking for? Do you want to be in Myrtle Beach city limits or is another town acceptable?

Old 12-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
If you check the crime maps, this area looks ok. However, that particular area is relatively close to some rougher areas which, over time, may encroach on this neighborhood. I, myself, would be a little cautious about the long term prospects.

According to the listing, the community includes a pool. The HOA fees are $310/month which is definitely something to consider as they will only go up and you may incur a special assessment in the future if a major renovation is necessary. This community is not really in easy walking distance to anything. If you are thinking about renting it during the summer, you would need to see if the HOA allows short term rentals...many do not especially away from the beach.

What are you looking for in a condo? Are you wanting to be relatively close to the beach or is a 10-15 minute drive acceptable? What type of amenities are you looking for? Do you want to be in Myrtle Beach city limits or is another town acceptable?
Thanks for the info.

I basically just want to be warmer in the winter and I don't like to fly. I am thinking that the Myrtle Beach area will be in the 50's and 60's for the winter months. The condo doesn't have to be in Myrtle beach. It could be in a safe town near Myrtle beach. I don't need to be right near the water but a 10 to 15 walk would be great. I see some places have golf carts, that would be great too. I am thinking it might be best to be in a condo that is 55+ but most of those seem very expensive. I would like to be close to shopping and restaurants etc.

I really wanted the Charleston area but it seems like prices are going up steadily there. Almost everyone I in CT leaves for either FL or the Charleston area every week to retire. The Yankees (not the team lol) are driving up the prices in Charleston.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:38 PM

We looked in Charleston before we moved here and even 10 years ago it was expensive and I'm sure it's even more so now...beautiful area but between price and traffic, not where wanted to be.

My suggestion is to plan a trip here in the off season and hook up with a realtor and have her/him show you some listings based on your criteria. Be very careful about condos near/on the beach in the city limits of Myrtle Beach. Generally safe during the day but no a place you want to be running around late at night. You might focus on areas adjacent to MB or on the western side of the Intracoastal Waterway. You'd have to drive to the beach but insurance is cheaper and generally you get more for your money.

For example, this condo is in a nice residential community (we own some rental houses in the same community) and they just finished renovations on the exterior so I doubt that there will be any special assessments any time soon. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-73064?view=qv
It's also central to just about everything although you would have to drive anywhere you wanted to go.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:41 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,541,995 times
"I am thinking that the Myrtle Beach area will be in the 50's and 60's for the winter months."

Funny, that is exactly what I was thinking we I purchased our retirement home (a townhouse in Murrells Inlet) in 2009. We closed in July of that year and had a nice rest of the summer. We returned to NJ in the fall (we had not yet sold our Jersey house) and came back to SC soon after New Years (2010). It was freezing (20's) for much of January and February. The leaves were off the trees and the grass was brown. Not what we were expecting!! Caused us to drive down to SW Florida and purchase a condo in North Naples.

We still have and spend time in the Murrells Inlet townhouse. And I like the fact that even though colder then desired, there is no snow (or very little). We have, however, experienced a few ice storms.

So yes, there can be winter days in SC that are sunny and relatively warm. And the winter season weather wise is much shorter than in the NE. But don't be suprised to deal with winter weeks where the temps never make it out of the 20's......

Old 12-02-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
We looked in Charleston before we moved here and even 10 years ago it was expensive and I'm sure it's even more so now...beautiful area but between price and traffic, not where wanted to be.

My suggestion is to plan a trip here in the off season and hook up with a realtor and have her/him show you some listings based on your criteria. Be very careful about condos near/on the beach in the city limits of Myrtle Beach. Generally safe during the day but no a place you want to be running around late at night. You might focus on areas adjacent to MB or on the western side of the Intracoastal Waterway. You'd have to drive to the beach but insurance is cheaper and generally you get more for your money.

For example, this condo is in a nice residential community (we own some rental houses in the same community) and they just finished renovations on the exterior so I doubt that there will be any special assessments any time soon. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-73064?view=qv
It's also central to just about everything although you would have to drive anywhere you wanted to go.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-73064?view=qv

Perfect.

I don't need to be right near the beach. A little further away in a nice safe residential area would be great! I am going to save this and when we get down there I will go look at these condos.

My older brother is a major golfer who wants to get a place down south too. He is mentioning Myrtle Beach so I would love for us to be in the same area.

Thanks for the tip about going further inland for the crime. I can see on this map from the condo it is safer north of Route 17 and that is where I will look.
Sterling Village 1--Benna Drive-myrtlebeachcrime.jpg

CTyankee54: do you go down to MB for the winter or are you there all year round?

Old 12-02-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
"I am thinking that the Myrtle Beach area will be in the 50's and 60's for the winter months."

Funny, that is exactly what I was thinking we I purchased our retirement home (a townhouse in Murrells Inlet) in 2009. We closed in July of that year and had a nice rest of the summer. We returned to NJ in the fall (we had not yet sold our Jersey house) and came back to SC soon after New Years (2010). It was freezing (20's) for much of January and February. The leaves were off the trees and the grass was brown. Not what we were expecting!! Caused us to drive down to SW Florida and purchase a condo in North Naples.

We still have and spend time in the Murrells Inlet townhouse. And I like the fact that even though colder then desired, there is no snow (or very little). We have, however, experienced a few ice storms.

So yes, there can be winter days in SC that are sunny and relatively warm. And the winter season weather wise is much shorter than in the NE. But don't be suprised to deal with winter weeks where the temps never make it out of the 20's......
I will tell you why I guessed 50's and 60's. My mom & dad moved to Greenville NC for about six years in retirement. We would go down for Christmas and I don't ever remember it being under 50 degrees during the day. Although I remember one year my brother was down in the winter time (probably Jan. for Feb.) and they got an ice/snow storm. But I remember that was a rare occurrence.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:52 AM

We live here full time and have been here for 9 years.

Re the temps...average high temp in Dec-Feb is 58 degrees. We do have nights that get down into the 20's and even an occasional high teens but it generally warms right back up the next day. Seldom do we have extended periods of weather below 40 during the day but it does happen from time to time and there is an occasional ice storm. I can pretty much play golf most days of the year.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
I like Sterling Village and think the condos are kind of cool BUT the area around it can be a little sketch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area