Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,776 times

Advertisements

So, I'm interested in moving to the Myrtle Beach area for the summer (about three months or so). I'm a young (20yr old) student looking for a fun summer away from everything. What's the job market looking like out there? How much should I expect to pay for a decent studio apartment (any good recommendations)?

Thanks a bunch,
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,204 times
I am not a real estate agent but I have spent a lot of time in the past few months looking through the rentals on craigslist. I would think you could find a decent studio or 1 bedroom for between 500 - 700 per month. A job, on the other hand, might be the difficult part. Some of the restaurants are opening back up now and I have seen some signs for hiring posted but I would think they would be snatched up rather quickly.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norinmhx View Post
...What's the job market looking like out there?
The last unemployment figures I saw for Horry County (Myrtle Beach) were about 14.8%, with some surrounding counties over 20%. The MB Hospitality Association just cancelled their annual job fair because not enough of their members (hotels, restaurants, etc) were going to participate. According to the newspaper, most of these business already had about 7 applications for every anticipated job opening. Not meant to discourage you, but it's a tough place to pick up a quick job, and the ones available don't have much incentive to pay a liveable wage.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 PM

882 posts, read 3,538,074 times
Not to discourage by any means, but jobs will be SLIM this season. Many businesses have closed and those that remain, while obviously having a need to ramp up for seasonal staff, already have stacks of applications and resumes waiting to fill ANY open slot.

This is a tough call, but without having something locked in stone, I wouldn't roll the dice and move unless you have an ample reserve built up to carry you through until you are able to secure a job...

Best of luck...

Old 03-08-2010, 07:13 PM

540 posts, read 1,679,185 times
It's actually a bit higher than 7 per job, according to a restaurant I applied to. The manager told me he received over 200 applications for ONE job...don't know if he was exaggerating or not. Even my 17 yr old is having a hard time getting a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area