Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkLike View Post
Everyone seemed to have missed my point, which was a "mom & pop" single operation is a loser operation. Just because someone bangs nails or waits tables at their restaurant 20 hours a day doesn't mean they work hard. That's working stupid!

Respect the person who understood how to leverage what little "mom & pop" business they started with, along with a business plan that closed the competition, and cashed out when they hired an I-Bank (Investment Bank) to take them public and make real money ($50M or more), while still retaining a large percentage of company ownership with nothing to do but show up for a few meetings and golf all day...
Sharklike,
I replied to you once and I normally wouldn't reply to you again but it was a tough day and I ended it with a few . If you want a debate on your "narrow minded" view of Mom and Pops go the the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum. For this thread, I have only one thing to say, "you can't fix stupid"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:03 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Quote:
Everyone seemed to have missed my point, which was a "mom & pop" single operation is a loser operation...
Nobody missed your point. The point you're missing is that most folks on here have matured enough to recognize that a successful life is measured by more valuable things than money. If you never reach that point, it's okay, the world always needs more subprime mortgage lenders.

neecewh, there's no future in debating with him. I peeked in his room and he has a shrine set up to Bernie Madoff.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
neecewh, there's no future in debating with him. I peeked in his room and he has a shrine set up to bernie madoff.
LOL When you are right, you are right! I probably should have just shut the computer down last night but I had frontal lobe issues . I enjoy an intelligent discussion on ones views, political or otherwise, but this thread was not started for that purpose and the comments made were far from intelligent.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:43 PM

5 posts, read 12,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Nobody missed your point. The point you're missing is that most folks on here have matured enough to recognize that a successful life is measured by more valuable things than money. If you never reach that point, it's okay, the world always needs more subprime mortgage lenders.

neecewh, there's no future in debating with him. I peeked in his room and he has a shrine set up to Bernie Madoff.

HAHA, let me guess, you're religious as well! Here is an interesting fact: Most people that become religious as they age do so to use it as a scapegoat for being failures at life. They convince themselves that it's ok to have become nothing and failed at their life goals by saying that they have devoted their life to some made up being. For most it's an unconscious reaction.

Bernie Madoff commited fraud. I have no respect for him. However, I respect successful hedge fund managers, traders, business owners, etc. The most important class of citizens we have in this country and owe a great deal to for creating so much tax revenue and are being forced to subsidize the welfare classes self-made problems.

The two "sub-prime" mortgage brokers I know owned some of the largest mortgage brokerages in the country (FGM & 21st). Their employess lived the stereotypical life and most are now broke, but they made well over $200M in just a few years and now live lavish lifestyles without ever having to work again (even though they are now venturing into the death bond business, which is buying and pooling life insurance policies). They are also still only in their late 30's.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:41 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Quote:
HAHA, let me guess, you're religious as well...
Oh Great Warrior in the Sky Who Watches Over the Prairies, protect us from another godless MBA wannabe. Shield his mommy from the shame. Guide him to a more honorable endeavor, like timeshare sales or Fox "Fair & Balanced" News Analyst. Hallelujah, Amen!

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
PD, I repped you. Great post above.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:02 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,874,675 times
Wow. Sharklike has an "in your face" approach with his/her observations but no one should be surprised. Think about it folks, our culture defines "success" in terms of money, power and fame. It is reflected in the popularity of reality shows and the limitless bounds to which folks will go to obtain said money, power and fame. For those of us who strive to define ourselves APART from whatever material wealth or job title we may have earned are seen as unproductive "losers". There is definitely an established caste system in US. It's interesting that some folks, not all, with some wealth and/or power choose to label others with less as losers. They brag about their friends who have accumulated more wealth than them but you have to wonder, isn't it one never-ending cycle of people looking down on others whom the feel they have bested? 'Cause surely it must cross their friends' minds that hey, I have more and this guy with less is a loser. After all, there will always be someone with more wealth, status, beauty, power, etc... right around the corner? And circumstances can change in the blink of an eye. The sad part is that if Sharklike finds himself or herself in need once they move into the area, my guess is that the first folks to respond with genuine support will be those with less wealth and lots of faith. I had hoped the economic collapse had helped more people to see how shallow and self-defeating it is the chase artificial lifestyles to impress others who label you a "loser". One of the things I love most about my home state here is that we seemed to have fewer folks at least openly promoting class distinctions. This thread just made me really sad.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Tinabean that was very well said, and sadly very true I have seen that distinction up close and personal in my life. I was thinking the other day that the "keep up with the Jones" attitude has been a little less prevalent in the past year but your right, class distinction still exists all too often.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:52 PM

272 posts, read 724,323 times
Up here in Mich, I prefer the small mom and pop places. I find the help better, and you support a local, not a huge chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area