Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,349 times

Advertisements

I'm on my way out the door to a friend's house to do a taste test on Duke's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 AM

44 posts, read 115,791 times
OK, trying to learn as much as I can about the area before we move down that way - and as simple as this sounds, this thread was a bit of a shocker for me. Are you saying that down there macaroni salad and pasta salad are the same thing?? Up here in northern New England, macaroni salad is a mayo-based salad, and pasta salad is an oil and vinegar based salad. Macaroni salad is usually pretty simple, but pasta salad we chop up veggies (peppers, cucumbers, etc.) and add chunks of cheese, sometimes pepperoni... do they not do a pasta salad (typically) in the south?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
... MAYO AND BANANA SANDWICH ...
neecewh, please don't tell me you've never had a *real* banana sandwich! I'da starved to death as a kid without those. The brown sugar just takes it uptown.

jamamm, you better wait for some real Southern cooks to show up on here and answer your question. When we make "pasta salad", it's macaroni, mayo dressing, usually some chopped up peppers, cherry tomatoes, maybe celery, and shredded cheese. Never done the pepperoni, which may be a little weird with mayo, so might substitute bananas. Never oil & vinegar... For us, pasta salad and macaroni salad are one and the same. Some more sophisticated Southern chefs may see it differently.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:31 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,389 times
Quote:
neecewh, please don't tell me you've never had a *real* banana sandwich! I'da starved to death as a kid without those. The brown sugar just takes it uptown.
LOL ... PD, we always ate our banana sandwiches with peanut butter. Now brown sugar on that sounds pretty good.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 PM

I just did a blind taste test at a friend's house with Kraft mayo vs. Duke's mayo. No one there could tell the difference. I think they taste exactly the same. Hellman's, now that's a different story and no where near as good.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I just did a blind taste test at a friend's house with Kraft mayo vs. Duke's mayo. No one there could tell the difference...
Vrexy, down here, y'all know that's like sayin' Mrs. Smith's pies are just as good as GrandMa's, don't you?? Can't argue with you since I've never tried Kraft mayo.

Hmmm.... 15 postings on the merits of mayonaisse. Reckon beach boredom has already set in for the summer?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:49 AM

PD, you gave me an idea (and no, I'm not bored, just procrastinating!) Anyway, pie and mayo, what an interesting combo!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1713...229202,00.html

Old 05-20-2010, 03:19 PM

245 posts, read 761,603 times
I think hellmans and dukes taste similar ...I am not a fan of Kraft and hate hate hate miracle whip.....I always keep both Dukes and Hellmans on hand!

Old 05-20-2010, 03:55 PM

I also hate Miracle Whip and think that the miracle part is that there are a lot of people who like it. Just found out that it is made by Kraft! I guess taste buds differ as do opinions, because I don't taste anything similar in Hellman's and Duke's mayo. To me it's like a taste test between Coke and Pepsi. If you are a fan of one, you can always tell the difference. Eyes open or shut! Good thing we have a choice and don't have to agree!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbychoice14 View Post
I think hellmans and dukes taste similar ...I am not a fan of Kraft and hate hate hate miracle whip.....I always keep both Dukes and Hellmans on hand!
We rarely agree on much, but you definitely earned points for hating Miracle Whip!! Wish they had that little green face icon available...

I knew there were some variations of foods between the North and South. Southern food is usually far sweeter and unhealthy (don't even bother debating it, it's already well known by EVERYONE including the Chefs), and the North is generally lighter, more random and "melting pot" type. Used to love coming down here to get stuff we couldn't find up North, usually grits and certain cornmeal brands, pickled okra, etc.

Now I just want my super sized fruit and veggies back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area