Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 AM

124 posts, read 305,708 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

My husband recently accepted a job in Ft Myers/Napes. His office is currently in Ft Myers but will be moving to Naples as the majority of the work they do is in that area. He left for Florida last Sunday and is staying at an extended stay hotel until I can get us packed and relocated from this end. I don't know where to start as we don't know the area at all except from when we have vacationed there. We are in our early 40s and enjoy the beach, shopping, dinner/drinks out with friends, farmer's markets, working in the yard (fruit trees would be nice), a good gym. We want to be close to things and not out in the boonies if we can avoid it. We are planning to rent first (around $12-1400/month budget) but it would be great if we could find something that is for rent and could even turn around and buy it if we like it enough. We don't have kids so schools are not an issue. We do have 3 senior citizen aged dogs that will be coming with us though so need a fenced yard. Would like to work with a realtor or leasing agent to rent and then buy. Want to avoid chinese drywall at all costs. Don't want to rent something that is in foreclosure or going to be yanked out from under us during the lease. So many questions...so little time! HELP PLEASE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 01:56 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Welcome to Naples!

So many questions...what are they?

The fenced in yard might be a problem especially if you have large dogs. Many gated communities have dog/fence restrictions. There are plenty of fenced properties in Golden Gate Estates which you may or may not consider too far out.

You should be able to find something in your price range.

Where is he working/what part of Naples? You'll need to factor commute issues when choosing housing. The commute can be a killer in the winter.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:26 AM

[quote=RMD3819;15651031]Welcome to Naples!

So many questions...what are they? Such things as what areas would fit our price range and needs (especially with the three dogs). Any good realtors anyone can recommend to help us with this transition?

The fenced in yard might be a problem especially if you have large dogs. Many gated communities have dog/fence restrictions. There are plenty of fenced properties in Golden Gate Estates which you may or may not consider too far out. I'd rather not be that far out but if we have to look there, I guess it is at least an option.

Where is he working/what part of Naples? He works all over Naples so not one particular area. Not sure where the office will be located but it will be secondary since he does a lot of driving with this job anyways.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-28-2010, 08:39 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Try here: Annual Rentals, Inc. - Naples, Florida - Current Listings (http://www.annualrentals.com/listings.shtml - broken link)

The dogs/fence is gonna be a problem in the western end.

As a rule of thumb, prices increase the closer you are to the Gulf, especially west of US41.

If you post some streets/communities you are loking at we can give better advice.

Will your husband be going to Marco, Immokalee, Everglades City?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Try here: Annual Rentals, Inc. - Naples, Florida - Current Listings (http://www.annualrentals.com/listings.shtml - broken link) Thank you for this link...I will save it and check it frequently.

The dogs/fence is gonna be a problem in the western end. I am finding that out already!

If you post some streets/communities you are loking at we can give better advice. Someone suggested Naples Park? We are so unfamiliar with the area that it's hard to make suggestions. My husband is working long hours so it will be hard for him to do much scouting, thus he is depending on me to research from here and then send him the suggestions to check out. We probably need to get a realtor or leasing agent involved for best results!

Will your husband be going to Marco, Immokalee, Everglades City?
Yes, he was at Marco yesterday. He will basically be all over the place daily.

Thanks again for your input!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:30 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,082 times
Congratulations and Welcome to Naples!!!

Did you see that there is a thread with 22 replies written only a few days ago asking about communities that allow fences for the posters 60 lb. dog? Maybe you'll get some helpful information from that.

Have a good trip!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 AM

"Did you see that there is a thread with 22 replies written only a few days ago asking about communities that allow fences for the posters 60 lb. dog? Maybe you'll get some helpful information from that."

I did...and it has been very helpful. I think we are leaning towards the Naples Park area!

Thanks so much!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 PM

79 posts, read 290,083 times
Also try the Bonita springs area(borders Naples to the north)...alot of nice rentals between 1200 and 1500...and best of all close to beachs..

Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM

79 posts, read 290,083 times
$1200 / 3br - Private Community - Pool/Tennis (Bonita Springs) (map) - ClasPics

Old 08-31-2010, 04:40 PM

15 posts, read 55,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruzs View Post
Yes, he was at Marco yesterday. He will basically be all over the place daily.

Thanks again for your input!
Be careful where you commit to. We're in Bonita at the moment and looking to buy in Naples. They closed our favorite pizza place at Airport/Pine Ridge in Naples and that was a decent drive... the only other location is on Marco and we figure that's too far even for a dinner (and most other pizza is terrible!). Couldn't imagine going that far for a job. As it is we're searching for 15 minute (7-8 mile) commutes.

See if you can do an Extended Stay hotel for a month before committing to a year and horrendous driving. Starting in October-ish, Season and all of Northern drivers will be upon us making it tougher to get around.

Remember "all over Naples" basically means "all over Collier County" the largest by land in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples