Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,311 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Elo and my husband and I are from Miami. We have been looking to move away from Miami and raise our toddler in a much laid back environment. We recently visit Naples and Fort Myers and have decided that Naples would be perfect. We wanted some advice in regards to how to relocate. We are doing this alone, no family members. I may be able to work from home from my current employer but nothing for sure. I work in the AR dept. for a billing company and my husband works in sales but is looking for a change. His passion is cars. Due to the fact that we are testing waters we plan on renting a 2/2 condo. Please help with tips, anything is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,966,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celodia View Post
Hello, my name is Elo and my husband and I are from Miami. We have been looking to move away from Miami and raise our toddler in a much laid back environment. We recently visit Naples and Fort Myers and have decided that Naples would be perfect. We wanted some advice in regards to how to relocate. We are doing this alone, no family members. I may be able to work from home from my current employer but nothing for sure. I work in the AR dept. for a billing company and my husband works in sales but is looking for a change. His passion is cars. Due to the fact that we are testing waters we plan on renting a 2/2 condo. Please help with tips, anything is greatly appreciated
First and foremost what is your budget? And do you know for certain you can find jobs here? Expect to be paying $1000 + for a 2/2 condo (probably closer to $1,100) especially with season creeping up on us. Naples is a notoriously expensive town, it was rated 7th most expensive in the entire state of Florida last year, so keep that in mind.. Secondly find jobs before you come, do t wing it odds are you won't make it. Season as u know I'm sure is Nov-April and after that jobs are scarce if you're in the service industry. Unlike Miami that has a city like feel and lifestyle we are a retirement tourist town. You will see a big different between our on and off season vs. Miami's on and off season. Particularly in the job area. Do your research about where you want to live. Closer to the beach, not so close. Farther away could mean cheaper housing ($900 for a place instead of $1,100) but then you're a 20+ min drive to any beach and other than a random food store it will be a drive for other every day needs and to stores like Target, Walmart, Doctors , hospital etc.
While at me time I would have advocated for young families to move here I no longer due to rising costs and low wages.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:20 PM

340 posts, read 1,046,759 times
You will love it here if you are coming from Miami. The traffic there during the rush hours is horrible. We don't need to lock everything down here, most of Naples is very safe . Schools are OK, the public schools in Florida are all pretty bad if you compare the quality of education with other States, but you probably already know that.
For a place to rent, Look for something North of Davis Blvd. and west of Collier Blvd.(rt. 951) , check the Map to see where this will be, it's a Large area. As you move North and West, the prices will be higher
(Closer to the Beaches and the shopping)

Old 09-13-2013, 03:26 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMunch View Post
You will love it here if you are coming from Miami. The traffic there during the rush hours is horrible. We don't need to lock everything down here, most of Naples is very safe . Schools are OK, the public schools in Florida are all pretty bad if you compare the quality of education with other States, but you probably already know that.
For a place to rent, Look for something North of Davis Blvd. and west of Collier Blvd.(rt. 951) , check the Map to see where this will be, it's a Large area. As you move North and West, the prices will be higher
(Closer to the Beaches and the shopping)
Outdated information...Florida is ranked #13 for K-12 Achievement, #5 for Standards, Assessments and Accountability and #6 Overall.

Education Week: Quality Counts 2013 - State Report Cards

Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 AM

351 posts, read 492,657 times
Thank you for posting the link for the Florida education rating.

We are in the process of relocating from MN to FL. We Minnesotans take great pride in the quality of our schools. I always assumed we were moving from a great state to a state with a significantly poorer education system.

When I have more time, I am going to read the Eduation Week and Students First websites but based on a quick skimming, I stand corrected - and happy. We plan to enroll our 3 girls in the public schools. This is so encouraging!

Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,311 times
Thank you all for helping us. As the days go by its all clear to us. We still NEED to move out of Miami. This is not the exact ideal place to raise a child. I appreciate your help and we have a better idea to look for an apartment. To get an idea, my son's sitter is renting an apartment 2/2 for 1,350.00 a month. The school system in Miami Dade/Broward is awful unless your child is in a charter program or a private school, Charter programs are hard to get in and stay in and I can't afford private school. We are left with putting our son in public school but not in Miami. I am convinced that if anyone could move anywhere to give their family a better opportunity so can we . So again, thank you all and I pray that I can repost next year with a much positive thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celodia View Post
Thank you all for helping us. As the days go by its all clear to us. We still NEED to move out of Miami. This is not the exact ideal place to raise a child. I appreciate your help and we have a better idea to look for an apartment. To get an idea, my son's sitter is renting an apartment 2/2 for 1,350.00 a month. The school system in Miami Dade/Broward is awful unless your child is in a charter program or a private school, Charter programs are hard to get in and stay in and I can't afford private school. We are left with putting our son in public school but not in Miami. I am convinced that if anyone could move anywhere to give their family a better opportunity so can we . So again, thank you all and I pray that I can repost next year with a much positive thread
Rent and home prices are rising in naples. Honestly if that's what ur sons babysitter is paying its safe to say that'll help you not have sticker shock when you see our prices... They're right in par in most parts of town.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:20 PM

76 posts, read 188,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Outdated information...Florida is ranked #13 for K-12 Achievement, #5 for Standards, Assessments and Accountability and #6 Overall.

Education Week: Quality Counts 2013 - State Report Cards
I have to disagree that Florida being ranked #13 for K-12 Achievement is anything to brag about. If you change the grading to 100% K-12 Achievement, the grade changes to a C- (72.4) according to the calculator. That combined with the fact that education in the US overall is sorely lacking leaves only disappointment. I also question the grading categories they use. It seems to me that a lot of states are receiving inflated grades based on administrative details. If you look at Future Outcomes and K-12 Achievement without the other categories, the grades are unacceptable. On a different note, why is 70% considered passing anyway? Do you want only 70% of your bridge supports to be functional?? Why is education different? Anyway, I digress...

The schools here have never been very good and they aren't going to be good any time soon. Something significant will have to change to improve education in the US. My vote is for increasing teacher salaries to reflect the importance of educating our children.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbutterfly View Post
I have to disagree that Florida being ranked #13 for K-12 Achievement is anything to brag about. If you change the grading to 100% K-12 Achievement, the grade changes to a C- (72.4) according to the calculator. That combined with the fact that education in the US overall is sorely lacking leaves only disappointment. I also question the grading categories they use. It seems to me that a lot of states are receiving inflated grades based on administrative details. If you look at Future Outcomes and K-12 Achievement without the other categories, the grades are unacceptable. On a different note, why is 70% considered passing anyway? Do you want only 70% of your bridge supports to be functional?? Why is education different? Anyway, I digress...

The schools here have never been very good and they aren't going to be good any time soon. Something significant will have to change to improve education in the US. My vote is for increasing teacher salaries to reflect the importance of educating our children.
Didn't they just recently change the grading process for schools so more would receive a passing grade also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples