Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:10 PM

8 posts, read 21,345 times

Advertisements

Looking at Stonecreek to call home for me and my young family. What are the common opinions on HOA versus non-HOA? Is there really a difference in the quality of life, cost of living, and what you can and cannot do within the community? We are from the Northeast so not really familiar with the experiences people have had. Thanks for any comments you can send our way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 04:16 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,711,766 times
There are only a few places here where you can live with no HOA, like Golden Gate Estates. Most communities like GL homes have HOA's.

In Riverstone, we get our landscaping maintenance and water for the yard and plants and access to the Clubhouse and pools. It's a very good deal in my opinion. In central Illinois, we paid more per month just to water our lawn. In our Chicago high rise condo, we paid a much higher HOA for almost no amenities (we got to dump our trash down a chute).

Some folks here hate the HOA and don't want to be told what they can and can't do. We abide by the rules and like that our neighbors can be held accountable. We have had issues with neighbors and the HOA sent them violation letters. They can be fined, lose access to the Clubhouse etc.

Be sure to read the rules and regulations before you move into a community, especially since you have children and it's a mix of retired folks and families.

We have heard stories of folks with children who think the rules should not apply to them. A lot of it is common sense and courtesy to your neighbors, but some people seem to feel they have a right to not follow the rules.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:24 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times
I am decidedly not a fan of HOAs, so my opinion reflects that.

In FL, HOA covenants are enforceable as civil law, so be sure you read and understand all of the rules or you'll be hating life when you left your garage door open too long, your lawn is .030" too high, you repaint your front door the same color it was without getting permission first, parking the wrong car in the driveway etc.........

Your level of enjoyment/misery depends on how anal the HOA is, and your tolerance level for following often inane rules and dealing with the folks who enforce them.

It really comes down to how much effort you're willing to exert trying, in many cases, unsuccessfully, to keep your neighbors happy.

The upside is that the communities are usually kept in good repair, and have community activities/facilities (pools/tennis courts etc.).

Personally, I can't imagine myself ever living in an HOA governed community.

Last edited by Tripower455; 05-02-2016 at 04:48 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 07:35 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
An HOA community can increase the value of your property as much as 20%, did you know that.

Communities that don't follow the HOA rules or they have management companies the don't enforce these rules loose as much as 40% property value, did you know that.

Most people that complain about the HOA are the ones that cause the most trouble.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:04 AM

121 posts, read 214,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
An HOA community can increase the value of your property as much as 20%, did you know that.

Communities that don't follow the HOA rules or they have management companies the don't enforce these rules loose as much as 40% property value, did you know that.

Most people that complain about the HOA are the ones that cause the most trouble.
Can you please provide a reputable source for your statistics please? Thank you.

I think HOAs can be great for the right person and terrible for others. But looking at your post history, you seem to make an awful lot of posts on this website around the country in support of HOAs. From Charlotte to Jacksonville to Houston you come out in support of HOAs and state the same numbers above. You either have an interesting hobby/passion or you have a different reason for such wide-ranging support...

Anyway, source please.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:31 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,225 times
HOA's regulations control those who feel they can do as they please. After owning a home on Long Island suburb we enjoy not seeing cars parked in street, unkempt plants and hedges, flags for every occasion flying faded three weeks after the holiday etc. We wanted a place that is kept nice and is quiet most times. I do not mind playing and yelling children but despise someone else's music or motorcycle.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:06 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Did you know that living in an HOA Reichstag governed community can increase your blood pressure 100%, and diminish your "quality" of life by the same?

Quote:
Corroborating evidence please......

My not even close to an HOA governed property is worth 4-5 times what I paid for it, even more if you count the HOA fees I haven't paid. And I even repainted the house several times, planted/pulled out whatever plants I wanted to, keep my garage door open as long as I want, park whatever vehicle in the driveway that I feel like owning, work on my own cars, built a shed, park my boat in my yard, put in a pool that didn't require ARB approval etc. etc. etc.

Quote:

This is often a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Who is "causing trouble";

The guy who "breaks" an inane and completely unnecessary rule, or the one who made up the inane rule and goes out of his way to enforce it?

This is why I warn folks that are considering moving into one to get a copy of the covenants, and READ them thoroughly before committing to living in one of these places. Common sense is not always applied when it comes to HOA rules, and they will enforce them, even the dumbest ones.

It's not like up north where most folks work and have better things to do than to worry about policing their neighbor's lawn height, time how long an unapproved vehicle is parked in the driveway, make sure that their white mailbox hasn't faded to the "wrong" shade of white, ensure that the builder installed shrubbery is of the correct species and subspecies, and hasn't grown too high, snoop in their garage for non HOA approved contraband etc..........

Old 05-08-2016, 02:28 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
HOA's regulations control those who feel they can do as they please. After owning a home on Long Island suburb we enjoy not seeing cars parked in street, unkempt plants and hedges, flags for every occasion flying faded three weeks after the holiday etc. We wanted a place that is kept nice and is quiet most times. I do not mind playing and yelling children but despise someone else's music or motorcycle.
And the thoughts expressed in your post here are exactly why I'd never buy a property controlled by an HOA.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:39 PM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And the thoughts expressed in your post here are exactly why I'd never buy a property controlled by an HOA.
And the thoughts expressed in your post here are exactly why I would absolutely buy a property controlled by an HOA We looked at houses in Boynton Beach and Delray and the ones not in an HOA community had junk cars in the street, parked on the lawn and other unpleasantries and the houses were in the same price range. We enjoy a nice clean area with cut lawns etc.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:11 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
And the thoughts expressed in your post here are exactly why I would absolutely buy a property controlled by an HOA We looked at houses in Boynton Beach and Delray and the ones not in an HOA community had junk cars in the street, parked on the lawn and other unpleasantries and the houses were in the same price range. We enjoy a nice clean area with cut lawns etc.
Whatever....have at it, as long as I don't have to live in a "community" controlled by folks who tell me what I can park in my driveway ( or if I can park anything there at all), what colors to paint my house, what kind of plants I can use to landscape, etc. etc etc... or face fines and sanctions if I ( horrors!) inadvertently do something to run afoul of some HOA control freaks and their minions.

Funny, even folks who don't espouse HOAs as a way of life do have a pride in ownership in their properties, reflected in the care they take of those properties, on a continuing basis. You might think we're all Jed Clampett relatives, but it 'taint so, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples