Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:56 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...you must be reading my mind
I drug out the drafting tools..and cranked up the CAD
We don't want a big house at all. Probably going to end up around 1500-1800 sq ft

I'm going to draw it up and shop it around....there's several builders out there and they probably already own lots

What you have to watch with buildling...is you're not through when the roofs on....fence, irrigation, deeper well, driveway landscaping, on and on....adds up
Understood.

We built our GGE house 20 years ago, and we ended up paying less than we would've, had we bought an existing home, most of which were smaller and outdated.

We looked for close to a year for an existing home in GGE. We wanted at least 2.25 acres, west of 951, preferably off Logan or Oakes, and considered the Weber area, but could not find any existing houses that were cheaper than buying a lot and building. After we decided to consider lots, it still took a few months to find the 5 acre one we ended up buying, between 951 and the Logan Canal, south of VBR.

Not sure what the current land and builder market is like, so YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 02:09 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Houses over by you guys have at least a $150,000 premium...but they are much nicer houses too! That offsets the cost of building a whole lot. We're looking way east of you...it's far out and not as convenient, but we're used to that already.
Our other problem would be after we sell...we would have to rent something for at least a year while it's being built...then move again....if the first move didn't kill me, the second one would! LOL

I'm going to draw something up, and try to shop it with some of the builders around...and see what happens

There's a pretty good number a new houses out there already, and they are sitting on the market too

Old 08-02-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Houses over by you guys have at least a $150,000 premium...but they are much nicer houses too!
Not 20 years ago, in the price range we were looking for (under $300K). I REALLY didn't want to go the builder route, as it's many months of pain, but we simply couldn't beat the value.

Most of the existing houses (in our price range) were much smaller and old, or there was some other issue like they backed up to a major road, low elevation etc.

Typically, they were 70's vintage sub 2000 sq ft, 3 BR 2 bath FL ranches with 2 car garages or less. Most were also on 2.25-2.5 acres. We didn't even look at anything on smaller than 2.25 acres.

Prices ranged from low $200s to over $300k IIRC.

We built a 3000 sq ft, (4 br plus office) 2.5 bath 3.5 car garage house on 5 acres for $285K, within $30k or so of what we'd have spent on an older existing home on half the land.

Quote:
That offsets the cost of building a whole lot. We're looking way east of you...it's far out and not as convenient, but we're used to that already.
LOL... We thought we lived beyond the edge of nowhere when we built.

Quote:
Our other problem would be after we sell...we would have to rent something for at least a year while it's being built...then move again....if the first move didn't kill me, the second one would! LOL
We sold our house after we'd already signed the contracts to build. We ended up renting a house in GGC, a few blocks from our old house, for 9 months. Our realtor arranged a 6 month lease, with a month by month option after that. it worked perfectly. Moving twice sucked, but it was worth it. I was smack dab i the middle of restoring a (non running) car, which was a PITA to move around. We ended up leaving a bulk of our stuff, along with my car, packed up in the garage of the rental for the 9 months. We hired movers for the heavy stuff, and used my truck and made multiple trips for the rest.

Quote:
I'm going to draw something up, and try to shop it with some of the builders around...and see what happens

There's a pretty good number a new houses out there already, and they are sitting on the market too
In that case, you'll, potentially, be in a different boat than we were.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:54 PM

well...just took a good look at new houses out there...I haven't really paid that much attention to them before
New might be a pretty good option....obviously you get all new stuff so you should be good for a long time
..and what they are asking....by the time you buy a lot, impact fees, swale, septic, run elec plumbing.etc etc....and don't have to move twice!

...now I've got more to think about

Old 08-28-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
well...just took a good look at new houses out there...I haven't really paid that much attention to them before
New might be a pretty good option....obviously you get all new stuff so you should be good for a long time
..and what they are asking....by the time you buy a lot, impact fees, swale, septic, run elec plumbing.etc etc....and don't have to move twice!

...now I've got more to think about

For sure. With the sheer number of lots, used and new homes, you've got a lot of options in GGE. And it's just about 50% built out, so the lot inventory should be good for a while!

Old 08-29-2018, 11:08 AM

331 posts, read 453,074 times
Seen a bear crossing Immokalee Road at 10:50 heading north away from the fairgrounds. That might slow down the market a little more. Also the Fire Tax got axed by over 78%. Let's keep the fire burning.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron e wheels View Post
Seen a bear crossing Immokalee Road at 10:50 heading north away from the fairgrounds. That might slow down the market a little more.
We can only hope.

We saw a little one crossing Livingston, about 200 yds south of Immokalee, in the middle of the day last week. Poor guy almost got hit by a car.

Quote:
Also the Fire Tax got axed by over 78%. Let's keep the fire burning.
Not surprising.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:19 PM

Now we just finished disputing with the water management district. They placed my property at the highest tier ($354 a year) and then the wife filled out and sent the protest form from their website for re-evaluation. In the meantime, the Golden Gates Civic Association protested also. The GGVCA got the water management to drop their assessment by $150 on average per property. After that, the water management district stated they miss-assessed my property over my stone driveway and now my bill is $124. That's a reduction of 65%.

I am still in the second tier and wonder want constitutes the 3rd tier. An empty lot????

I just hope the money gets used for want it is intended for even though I'm not the problem with water drainage for the water management system.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:07 AM

And I just learned from last nights meeting, the Water Management Board shelved the whole idea for another year. My take on this, they couldn't justify or backup what they were going to do. Sounds like county government ruining to the utmost efficiency!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2018, 09:21 AM

the worst part....if anyone didn't know about the protest form...or didn't know how to do it
...they would have been stuck with the highest rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples