Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 07:51 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,217,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Are you looking for a family friendly community with lots of kids? 2.5 is a nice budget, and there are many beautiful homes to look at, but I'm not familiar with areas at that price point that are family friendly. Are you OK living in a community that is mostly retirees with no kids? Are you looking for a gated or non gated community? with golf, pools, etc?

My first thought was to suggest Riverstone to you. Many families and kids. Nice gated community. But, the price point is way below 2.5 m.

Pelican Bay is a beautiful area near the water with private beach. Just don't think there are many families with kids there?

Perhaps the realtors here have a suggestion.

Good luck in your search!
Yea here’s a realtor’s suggestion, buy two homes next to each other in Riverstone then LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 10:35 PM

51 posts, read 95,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Most collier schools rank very well, its one of the reasons many younger families are starting to move here (especially from Miami/FTL where the Cost of Living is higher).

Regarding your statement of why you are leaving, yes there are many reasons but you specifically mentioned the governor and his quarantine orders.

And yes, many people are leaving high cost of living states for cheaper ones. That was always the rub for Florida. We have lower taxes, great weather but the job market for 6 figure jobs is bleak, we rely on tourism and hospitality, and many big companies don't come here. Now with the remote work that companies are shifting towards, you're seeing people move to cheaper areas. Eventually the companies will stop paying such high salaries as they won't need to offset the high cost of housing in places like San Fran, New York, Boston, etc. Many San Fran people have moved to Washington, Idaho, and Colorado to work remotely. And many New Yorkers/Bostonians have moved to Florida. It'll be great for San Fran as the avg apt rent was astronomical and now its slightly more affordable for people. Once those vacancies all get filled up next year, prices will go back up.

Many Calif and NY people leave FL after a few years too - they start to hate the summers, the humidity, the lack of highly educated people, the backwards/crazy stuff that goes on here, lack of upward mobility in their jobs, etc. Others move to various parts of Florida (i.e. People flock to Miami and then grow tired of it and move either to the Broward suburbs or they come across the alley to Naples/Ft Myers or go up to Tampa).

Which is great for those of us in Real Estate and why we did so well in Miami !
Thank you for the response. I'm curious as to what the backwards/crazy stuff is? That way I know where to avoid.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:47 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMgyms View Post
Thank you for the response. I'm curious as to what the backwards/crazy stuff is? That way I know where to avoid.
Look up “Florida Man”.

Also, Florida is a haven for grifters.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...aints/2220355/

What you will also experience is a service economy that largely panders to “season”. Once you’ve been there a year or so you will become known to restaurants and other places as “full year” and they’ll treat you better. Before then you’re just another tourist to fleece

And during season, when you go to your favorite restaurant, be prepared for rude entitled snowbirds who feel they should be seated before you, as it’s “their” restaurant with “their table”.

You will probably come to hate season and look forward to April when they all go home.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:47 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMgyms View Post
I am looking for advice for a young family looking to move to Naples. I have a 7, 9, and 11 year old. We are actually from MD, but have been living in Carlsbad,CA. Carlsbad has been great for the kids with lots of sports, excellent schools, and every outdoor activity you can imagine. We are leaving do to the governor here continuing to keep everything locked down. Kids still have no school or sports. He even closed the beaches and parks for months. Carlsbad is conservative unlike most of CA. I don't like the direction things are going here.

I am not worried about the humidity, but need advice in helping to pick the best area. My research shows me that the schools are amazing in Naples. How are the people? Looking to avoid the spoiled, entitled, keep up with the Jones type areas. There is some of that where I am now, but for the most part its great families and kids with good morals and values.

We are also looking at Jupiter, Ponte Vedra Beach, and Venice. I am also open to other recommendations if someone has one. If any one has advice on any of the above it would really be appreciated. We are really looking for this to be our last move and want to put our children in the best possible environment around the best like minded people. Thank you so much.
I lived in FL for over a decade - mostly in the panhandle. But I also lived in Fort Lauderdale for a year. I know South FL too. If I were a parent, I would be very paranoid in FL. The anti-mask movement is strong, and the governor is too complacent. The FL DOH fired a GIS worker who was a whistle blower on mismanaged data reporting for public health surveillance and tracking clusters. If I had children of that age in FL, I would be going paranoid right now. Just because it's more "open" compared to CA doesn't mean it's more safe. The travel across multiple states also puts you at risk for infection.

I also know how it feels to be in a recession in FL. I would not be very confident about job security in a major recession like now.

You might just want to look into Phoenix or Tucson. The gyms reopened and the outdoor parks and hiking trails have been open all along (with social distance guidance). The weather and mountains are similar to Carlsbad which tends to be dry and mountainous. South FL is flat - very, very flat. The only "hills" I could find were the causeways (bridges). It's also very Latin/Caribbean American for the most part. Spanish is a dominant language. Naples does have a retirement community and many "Big 10" snow birds. Marco Island is very nice in the winter. But in summary the move would seem too risky given that there are much closer alternatives.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I lived in FL for over a decade - mostly in the panhandle. But I also lived in Fort Lauderdale for a year. I know South FL too. If I were a parent, I would be very paranoid in FL. The anti-mask movement is strong, and the governor is too complacent. The FL DOH fired a GIS worker who was a whistle blower on mismanaged data reporting for public health surveillance and tracking clusters. If I had children of that age in FL, I would be going paranoid right now. Just because it's more "open" compared to CA doesn't mean it's more safe. The travel across multiple states also puts you at risk for infection.

I also know how it feels to be in a recession in FL. I would not be very confident about job security in a major recession like now. Don’t worry after the election we won’t hear much about the China virus.

You might just want to look into Phoenix or Tucson. The gyms reopened and the outdoor parks and hiking trails have been open all along (with social distance guidance). The weather and mountains are similar to Carlsbad which tends to be dry and mountainous. South FL is flat - very, very flat. The only "hills" I could find were the causeways (bridges). It's also very Latin/Caribbean American for the most part. Spanish is a dominant language. Naples does have a retirement community and many "Big 10" snow birds. Marco Island is very nice in the winter. But in summary the move would seem too risky given that there are much closer alternatives.
Keep this mental virus out of FL!! Damn right there’s an anti-mask movement. Don’t worry after the election we won’t hear much about the China virus.

He’s right about FL being very flat I’ll give him that.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 10-29-2020 at 06:36 AM..

Old 10-29-2020, 06:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post

I also know how it feels to be in a recession in FL. I would not be very confident about job security in a major recession like now.

Your knowledge of the panhandle and South Florida doesn't translate very well to SW Florida.

Many in SWFL come from the midwest, and aren't speaking Spanish.

OP has $2.5M to spend on a home and work doesn't seem to be an issue. Naples is probably one of the better/more affluent choices.

But yes, Florida is flat.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:35 AM

4 posts, read 2,886 times
younger in Bonita and Estaro

Old 10-30-2020, 10:51 AM

25 posts, read 32,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Yea here’s a realtor’s suggestion, buy two homes next to each other in Riverstone then LOL
funny

Old 10-30-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S82028 View Post
funny
Why even hide the personal agenda? LOL Actually stand out as a realtor and own the commission breath, own it!!

I hate facades! I don’t care if I’m representing a buyer for a $50,000,000 Port Royal home I’m just wearing my comfortable Lululemon yoga shorts and Olukai sandals and probably a T-shirt that cost lest then $40 bucks with a clean cut haircut and if that’s not good enough for them then they can find another realtor!! LOL

Old 10-31-2020, 06:34 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,358,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
I don’t care if I’m representing a buyer for a $50,000,000 Port Royal home I’m just wearing my comfortable Lululemon yoga shorts and Olukai sandals and probably a T-shirt that cost lest then $40 bucks with a clean cut haircut and if that’s not good enough for them then they can find another realtor!! LOL
and they will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples