Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,569 times

Advertisements

I have been looking on lots of different websites. We are hoping to move to Naples around the end of August. Are there any specific areas that we should either look in or completely avoid. Neither one of us have a job lined up there yet, so that gives us more leanway with location. If possible can anyone suggest an area with mass transit. We when there mid May to look around and confirm and we both did like being there alot. I worked in welding robot programming and new plant set-up for Toyota's new models and my parter is in bartending/food services.

Any information would be greatly aprreciated.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 AM

376 posts, read 1,810,661 times
It's been said many, many times on this site. Don't come here without a job. We have double digit unemployment.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfycub View Post
I worked in welding robot programming and new plant set-up for Toyota's new models
In NAPLES?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,675,920 times
The bartender/food service worker might have more luck finding work, at least IN SEASON. Off season even that might be very slow. Many restaurants cut back their hours in the off season.

Probably the best occupation to be in in Naples would be something in the medical profession.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,796,693 times
Mass transit-there is none. There is a county run bus line and it is fine but limited. A car is a necessity here.

Find a job first, then housing, in that order.

That said, there are plenty of decent places to live. We need to know your housing budget and if you have school age kids.

Jobs-I agree with the others. There is no industry here as you describe.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,684,225 times
I know you want to leave Cincinnati and I can relate. The problem is jobs. Florida is not the place to go without a job. Competition for jobs, of any kind, in Florida is tough right now. The economy is bad. There just aren't enough jobs to go around - not even low paying jobs. I wish you well and hope things work out for you and your partner.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:27 PM

157 posts, read 398,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfycub View Post
I have been looking on lots of different websites. We are hoping to move to Naples around the end of August. Are there any specific areas that we should either look in or completely avoid. Neither one of us have a job lined up there yet, so that gives us more leanway with location. If possible can anyone suggest an area with mass transit. We when there mid May to look around and confirm and we both did like being there alot. I worked in welding robot programming and new plant set-up for Toyota's new models and my parter is in bartending/food services.

Any information would be greatly aprreciated.

Thank you,
Do not move to Florida without a job, as we currently have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation. Also, please realize that there is next-to-no manufacturing in Florida, so I would not expect to land a job similar to the one that you have now. Finally, though I have no idea what your budget is, Naples is one of the most expensive real estate markets in Florida, and you should exercise a considerable amount of due diligence in ensuring that you have an affordable place to live before moving down.

Also - and I tend to pick up on linguistic nuances, but pardon me if I'm wrong - but your use of the word "partner" leads me to believe that you're gay. You should be aware that Naples is one of the most conservative Republican areas of Florida. It is not really Alabama, Bible-thumping conservatism, but more "old people with lots of money" conservatism. While Naples is not a Bible Belt city and most of the population there is from the North originally, you should be aware that there will be plenty of, shall we say, "old-fashioned" people in Collier County who will have a certain degree of discomfort with your lifestyle. Florida recently passed a so-called "marriage protection" amendment, and Collier County (the county in which Naples is located) voted for this measure 63% - 37%, actually slightly higher than the Florida average. Southeast Florida (from West Palm down on the other coast) is far more progressive and accepting, but that region isn't without it's own set of problems.

Best of luck in your research and possible move!

Last edited by loillon892; 07-10-2009 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: